Wiki Posts
Search

Name misspelled on F award; ouch.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
Name misspelled on F award; ouch.

Just need to get this out of our heads here; not necessarily seeking any advice, commiseration, or whatever
Hope it's in the right forum. Anyway...

• SO booked (back in June) 2 RT award tix in F, SFO-NRT for Feb
• Booked using Amex points transferrred to Virgin Atlantic
• Booked over the phone

Agent sent confirmation, but we did not notice the misspelling on my name.... until yesterday.
We were encouraged that Virgin Atlantic's website offers to fix misspellings for free, but discouraged that ANA's website is extremely strict and says a new ticket will have to be purchased.

• Called Virgin Atlantic today
• 2 supervisors were very helpful, but could not get the name change to happen
• We released the seat with the misspelling but kept the other after being told there was 100% chance that the misspelled pax would not be able to board.
• Availability seemed to show back up, but now it's showing only as 'waitlisted'

Anyone have thoughts to offer on why the name change thing is so hardline on NH?
Anyone would have done things differently once they realized it was misspelled?
Anyone want to just do a shot with me?

Not the end of the world of course, but frustrating nonetheles. We'll be scrutinizing every booking from this day forward!
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by GreerApproach
Just need to get this out of our heads here; not necessarily seeking any advice, commiseration, or whatever
you could have tweeted it instead.
this is a forum and members will react to posts.

• Called Virgin Atlantic today
• 2 supervisors were very helpful, but could not get the name change to happen
• We released the seat with the misspelling but kept the other after being told there was 100% chance that the misspelled pax would not be able to board.
• Availability seemed to show back up, but now it's showing only as 'waitlisted'
seems you were poorly advised. Misspelling of up to 50% of the name is typically acceptable and will be rectified during checkin/document checks.
If it’s obviously a different name, and there isn’t any good reason why (middle name/first name used, surname and first name interchanged, shortened names used e.g. Maggy for Margaret), then yes you may get into a long wait at check in while they sort it out n correct it.

Anyone have thoughts to offer on why the name change thing is so hardline on NH?
to avoid ticket reselling
Many Asian names are similar in structure and spelling, therefore tickets with ambiguous spellings may be readily resold to a wider pool of travelers.
Same hardline with many if most Asian carriers.

Anyone would have done things differently once they realized it was misspelled? Not the end of the world of course, but frustrating nonetheles. We'll be scrutinizing every booking from this day forward!
Booking 101.
always triple check the reservation details.
If I were you, id first assess the magnitude of the misspelling. As I said above, it’s common to have tickets misspelling and the airlines are aware of this.
then I’d post here to ask advice on how to proceed, before releasing your rare F award space.

that wait list may never clear since ANA own FFP members get wait list priority, and within ANA, elites get even higher priority for award space.
other partners such as Virgin Atlantic get the scrapes of what’s left. Cross your fingers, pray that this doesn’t bite you (the decision to cancel).
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:49 am

You didn't call the actual operating carrier before you canceled?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:45 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, ANA's site shows "Waitlisted" when the inventory is not available. Many foolishly believe that it will clear.

IMHO, do not expect ANA's waitlist to clear. It rarely does.
Tokyoite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.