Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy class worth the extra rate?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Premium Economy class worth the extra rate?

I travelled on a return trip using ANA last summer and was given the possibility to rebook to Economy plus class on the flight, however I skipped it this time.

I remember people complaining about the seat width in economy is rather small, but the pitch being good compared to other airlines.

Is it worth the extra cost? I am a nearly 6 ft and thin, but not sure if the footrest will be of any help.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:51 pm

depends what route, what plane etc

and keep your terms straight. United (which is ANA's joint venture partner for transpacific), sells both PremiumEconomy and EconomyPlus. ANA only has Premium economy, no EconomyPlus

what route are you looking at? sometimes ANA will sell seats on United's plane, and United EconomyPlus is same seat as economy, just more legroom

ANA PremiumEconomy and United PremiumEconomy can be worth it

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 27, 2019 at 7:36 am
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
ANA does not have economy plus. United does.
ANA has premium economy.
Whether it is "worth it" or not really depends on 1)Your condition/needs of travel, 2)Your budget, 3)The route and flight

1)Are you tired on this flight? Want to sleep slightly better? Want to drink the champagne offered? Need lounge access in Tokyo? Only for the novelty experience?
2) The price table for airport upgrades is never clear, since it is a bidding process. (link) . Affordability depends on you and your budget resources
3) Night flight HND-FRA? versus daytime flight LAX-HND? Premium economy is IMHO more valuable if you need to get a decent nap to arrive fresh and ready to roll at your destination.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:47 am

How long is a piece of string? It was worthwhile for me, but I booked late and all the low fares in economy were gone. It was only a 20% premium over a econ ticket. If it was 100%+ increase, it wouldn't be worth the cost for me.

I am 6' 2" and the footrest was of no benefit to me.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:47 am

I am more comfortable in the bulkhead rows with the leg rest. Granted the monitor is in the arm rest but IMO, the leg rest beats the foot rest.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:34 am

I think it depends on what you're paying for the Premium Economy (if the ANA is the one you're referring to); we got an upgrade option about 2 weeks before the flight where you can bid on the seats; we just put in the minimum (I think it was like $180 per person(?) per way) and ended up getting the seats. The food options I think were the same but they give you more dessert~ and the seats were better - I'm 6' as well.

So if you can get the upgrade for cheap, sure - but I don't think it's worth what they ask for when you purchase the tickets.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: *AG (M&B)
Has anyone had issues with receiving only an error message when trying to submit bids after entering your cc info, etc. on the BidMyPrice portal (clicking on the link)? It's frustrating. I think Premium Economy is worth it if you can obtain a relatively inexpensive upgrade through a winning bid (not guaranteed of course). I want to give them my money but it is not working. (I have tried usual fixes: different browsers, devices, clearing cookies and cache, calling/emailing ANA and PlusGrade).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.