Search

Sweetspot fare on ANA YVR-HND?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Sweetspot fare on ANA YVR-HND?

I really prefer flying NH on this route due to the timing and the fact that it goes to HND. I credit my flights to OZ and economy fare is abysmal. I think my last flight was credited at 30% of the distance flown. So now I'm thinking and wondering if there is a sweespot in terms of fare? Does NH have decent premium economy pricing for this route? Looking for comments here.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Just check in the premium fare deals forum here (link) for PE/Biz class deals.
this is a sample, but in BIZ, going through Tokyo onwards to Singapore. (link)

Otherwise, you would need to engage in a TA (travel agent) online to do the extensive fare searching and origin/destination combinations search,
the actual ground work that you are asking for.
Sorry to be curt.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I really prefer flying NH on this route due to the timing and the fact that it goes to HND. I credit my flights to OZ and economy fare is abysmal. I think my last flight was credited at 30% of the distance flown. So now I'm thinking and wondering if there is a sweespot in terms of fare? Does NH have decent premium economy pricing for this route? Looking for comments here.
Are you going to continue to credit to OZ?
I really don't know OZ's mileage program, but I credit my miles to UA.

I fly YVR-HND on ANA at least 1x a year. Pretty much always economy.
Fares are all over the place. Can be $900-1200 when I fly to TYO, which is typically peak seasons (summer, Dec/Jan, spring). I won't do it if it's >$1200. This route does appear to have gotten more competitive ever since JAL entered it. I'm a Star guy, but I won't choose NH over JL if the math is not in my favor. I'm flying JAL for ~$900 USD YVR-NRT this Holiday season.
For the above price range, you're typically talking about something like W or L fare class, which nets you 50% miles on UA. I presume it'll be similar crediting to OZ, but I'm not sure.
ANA PE fares are usually on the higher side. It is definitively marked up a lot higher than BR or China Airlines for instance.

Anyways, I think you need to do the math yourself on case by case basis.
You should probably choose one Star program and stick to it. If you're going to stick to OZ, fine. I don't know much about them. ANA miles would never work out for me. For my purpose, UA is the most flexible and trouble-free and easiest to accrue.
Then, every time you fly, do the math based on fare, fare class and what mileage earning that entails. Think about that in conjunction with the schedule and hard/soft product. You're disappointed by 30% accrual, but what if OZ is $300 cheaper pps? BR often has reasonable PE fares, but their competitive PE fares only give you 50% with no free seat assignment. Gotta work it out each time. I think a lot of what I'm saying is probably obvious stuff. No need to lock yourself into a particular carrier.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by evergrn
Are you going to continue to credit to OZ?
I really don't know OZ's mileage program, but I credit my miles to UA.

I fly YVR-HND on ANA at least 1x a year. Pretty much always economy.
Fares are all over the place. Can be $900-1200 when I fly to TYO, which is typically peak seasons (summer, Dec/Jan, spring). I won't do it if it's >$1200. This route does appear to have gotten more competitive ever since JAL entered it. I'm a Star guy, but I won't choose NH over JL if the math is not in my favor. I'm flying JAL for ~$900 USD YVR-NRT this Holiday season.
For the above price range, you're typically talking about something like W or L fare class, which nets you 50% miles on UA. I presume it'll be similar crediting to OZ, but I'm not sure.
ANA PE fares are usually on the higher side. It is definitively marked up a lot higher than BR or China Airlines for instance.

Anyways, I think you need to do the math yourself on case by case basis.
You should probably choose one Star program and stick to it. If you're going to stick to OZ, fine. I don't know much about them. ANA miles would never work out for me. For my purpose, UA is the most flexible and trouble-free and easiest to accrue.
Then, every time you fly, do the math based on fare, fare class and what mileage earning that entails. Think about that in conjunction with the schedule and hard/soft product. You're disappointed by 30% accrual, but what if OZ is $300 cheaper pps? BR often has reasonable PE fares, but their competitive PE fares only give you 50% with no free seat assignment. Gotta work it out each time. I think a lot of what I'm saying is probably obvious stuff. No need to lock yourself into a particular carrier.
Yes and I'll continue to credit to OZ for the foreseeable future. I'm really not interested in UA's program. With the recent changes at UA, I think I made the right decision to be with OZ. L-fares credit at 30% and I think that's what I got when I flew ANA earlier this year. I think for me to make this worthwhile with ANA is if I get at least a W-fare, which credits at 50%. I would prefer 100%, but the timing and price have to be right. I paid roughly $700 when I flew with ANA in spring of 2019. I wouldn't mind paying more if I get better mileage for the money. I also flew with JL to Tokyo during this summer and I do prefer JL over NH, but JL is part of OW. I only picked JL cuz I got a very good price on the ticket, which I credited to my AS account. I guess I gotta look closer at BR or CI then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.