Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Will ANA let me internline a bag to UA on a 8-hour connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:53 pm
wmz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond

Will ANA let me internline a bag to UA (CTS-NRT-LAX) with a connection time of 8 hours (non-overnight)? I land NRT at 9:25AM and have NRT-LAX at 5:30PM. Would love to go explore Narita without thaving to lug skis around or deal with left luggage.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:19 am

That's fine

I've done a similar 8hour layover at NRT before(9am-5pm), bags were checked to final destination (via UA) during initial checkin with ANA, single ticket
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:57 pm
wmz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
That's fine

I've done a similar 8hour layover at NRT before(9am-5pm), bags were checked to final destination (via UA) during initial checkin with ANA, single ticket
I have 2 separate tickets - that should also be fine, right?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by wmz
I have 2 separate tickets - that should also be fine, right?
That should be perfectly fine. Just be sure to go to the check in counters for passengers with international connections.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:43 pm

Get ANA to interline bags at CTS. They should be able to do so

At NRT, UA check-in counter may not be open early enough (if you cant interline bags), and youll have to pay to store it (lockers/baggage storage), and then recheck it in with UA

(UA checkin counters should be open at 9am)

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 8, 2019 at 2:09 pm
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:24 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Let's push the envelope a bit further: I have a connection BKK-NRT-IAH-MID TG-NH-UA with a ~11 hour layover in IAH. If TG doesn't will only check the bags through to IAH, if I have TG check the bags only to NRT and then check in directly with NH in NRT, would they check them through to MID? If it matters I'm in F on NH and J on UA.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: NH Platinum/*G
I believe that all passengers with flights connecting through the US will need to go through customs and and re-check in bags to the final destination (whether it's domestic or international afterwards).
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by WoopAndWob
I believe that all passengers with flights connecting through the US will need to go through customs and and re-check in bags to the final destination (whether it's domestic or international afterwards).
IAH is one of the special airports for I-I transit that allow one to skip claiming&re-check bags

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...al-iah-37.html

No need to collect checked luggage while transiting through IAH. [OneStop]

not sure about @1984SW 's special case, whether one-stop applies
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Let's push the envelope a bit further: I have a connection BKK-NRT-IAH-MID TG-NH-UA with a ~11 hour layover in IAH. If TG doesn't will only check the bags through to IAH, if I have TG check the bags only to NRT and then check in directly with NH in NRT, would they check them through to MID? If it matters I'm in F on NH and J on UA.
First question is about number of tickets in the mix. Second one are the 11 hours on IAH over night, or same day?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:32 pm
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
First question is about number of tickets in the mix. Second one are the 11 hours on IAH over night, or same day?
Separate tickets BKK-NRT-IAH + IAH-MID. The ~11 hours are daytime.

Reason for separate tickets: I'm using award tickets BKK-NRT-IAH. UA rarely, if ever, opens award space IAH-MID, especially in J.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
WMZ,

There won't be any issue with the NRT connection, I've done it before from FUK with a similar layover so CTS shouldn't be an issue since both are same day domestic connections to NRT for ANA.

1984SW

There won't be a problem with the BKK-NRT-IAH legs. Might be an issue at IAH just because of the length of your layover and separate tickets. Worst case is you'll just have to recheck the bags with UA outside of Customs
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:26 am
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by ttuna3
There won't be a problem with the BKK-NRT-IAH legs. Might be an issue at IAH just because of the length of your layover and separate tickets. Worst case is you'll just have to recheck the bags with UA outside of Customs
You're sure UA will check in bags at ~800am for a flight departing at 605pm? (Just realized it's only ~10 hour layover, not ~11 hours.) I have plans to leave the airport to get a visa and don't want to be lugging suitcases around with me.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:14 pm
wmz
Original Poster

Thanks!

Originally Posted by ttuna3
WMZ,

There won't be any issue with the NRT connection, I've done it before from FUK with a similar layover so CTS shouldn't be an issue since both are same day domestic connections to NRT for ANA.

1984SW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.