Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Can I check bag for ITM-NRT-SFO on NH and UA on separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

I have a ticket NRT-SFO on UA, and I would like to buy another ticket from ITM to NRT on NH. The connection time will be 1 hour 25 mins. I wonder if I can check my bag all the way to SFO at ITM. Will the connection time be too tight? Thank you!

Last edited by nonamelive; Nov 5, 2019 at 2:16 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:59 am

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...ng/NH/2178/ITM

Avg delay is 10 min out of 62 flights

If you happened to be on the flight with Max delay (68min), would you be happy?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:43 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
It depends on your risk tolerance and if there's a later SFO flight you can be rebooked on, but long domestic delays are rare other than from weather and D->I transit is very easy. I would do it if there were a later SFO flight and watch delays and weather that morning.

You can check a bag through from ITM but make it clear when before you enter the check in line (it's fast and easy if you use the *gold priority check in; the regular lines are long and not all staff speak English).
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Make sure you go to the counters that handle international connection, they will check your luggage through without any issues. You should bring a printout of your itinerary on UA.

1h 25m is a reasonable connection in NRT, though United seem to start the boarding rather long time before actual departure. I'd not be too nervous about this, but I would also not feel super comfortable and relaxed.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:01 pm

I just used the NH International Connections desk at ITM on October 31st. It is now located at Counter 5. I wasn't checking a bag, but the person working the desk spoke excellent English and easily checked me in and printed boarding passes for my ITM-NRT (paid Y ticket) and NRT-LAX (award F ticket) NH flights that were on separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.