Wiki Posts
Search

Buy up to First Class Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K
Buy up to First Class Question

Apologies if this has been covered (I searched and did not find anything).
I am travelling SFO-NRT in full fare J in a few weeks. The flight is currently open in First (F4 A3). What I would like to do is purchase the fare difference into A class, but I cannot do it on united (codeshare) and cannot do it on ANA web site (ticket purchased via work). Any ideas on if I can purchase this upgrade/class change in advance or if I can even try to do it at the airport?
Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
If you have a bottomless pocket that can buy a walk up F class ticket, then of course you can buy the F ticket at the airport (and also incur any change fees to your existing business class ticket).
Full fare J on a non-stop (AA or UA) is around $8000 USD return, and cheapest F on the same non-stop is $20000 USD return. That is almost $6000 difference each way, assuming the fare difference is split evenly.
Check it out on google flights, ANA and UA websites (the one-stops via LAX/SEA/LAS/ORD/HKG/ICN/PEK etc. are cheaper)

If you dont have a bottomless pocket, but want to experience F, then you better to buy/accrue ANA miles and upgrade the full flexible ticket using ANA miles. You will need F award space to be open, but vastly cheaper than the few thousand dollars you will need for a straight up cash ticket.
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/amc/refe...ade/usage.html

Research on other purchasable/transfer partner mileage currencies, and research if there is F award space on your flight.

E.g. Using United miles
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...de-awards.html

that would be my advice.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Oct 21, 2019 at 11:28 am
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
EDIT: To answer my own question, as pointed out by @Petdog below.

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Unfortunately, codeshares are not eligible for upgrades, whether they are Star Alliance mileage upgrades or ANA mileage/UP upgrades.
Is it possible to upgrade a codeshare ticket via NH FFP? If so, another option would be to transfer miles to NH.

Last edited by gengar; Oct 21, 2019 at 4:14 pm
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:06 pm

Unless something's changed . . .

ANA flight booked as United Codeshare - Any way to upgrade?

Purchasing upgrade at the airport on ANA
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Thanks for the links.
Petdog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.