Booking RT, cancelling return

Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Booking RT, cancelling return

Hi all,

I am looking at a very attractive flight on an ANA partner (non StarAlliance).

However, I only need this flight one way as it is part of a 3 city itinerary. The overall itinerary abides by ANA's geographical restrictions for such itineraries. However, since the other legs of my itinerary are on StarAlliance, ANA won't let me book this flight. The error message says something like "you cannot mix award types".

Now, even if I booked this round trip and never flew the return, it would still be a good value although I'd be paying double.

However, would it be possible to book this flight RT, then cancel the return leg at a later time to get the points back?

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:34 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
No, since you cannot book a one-way international award with ANA, there is no provision to return a portion of the miles if only part of the itinerary is flown.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
you lose the points/miles on a partially used ticket.
Use it in full, or cancel in full.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:40 am

Wouldn't it be possible to postpone the return shortly before it is due as to keep open the option to take that flight at a later date?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies.

Funkbandit, I believe this is possible, but there is very little chance we would return to that part of the world to use the return flight.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by cdmca
Thank you all for the replies.

Funkbandit, I believe this is possible, but there is very little chance we would return to that part of the world to use the return flight.
In that case, you have two choices:

1. Use the ANA award booking as is, and throw away the return. Absolutely no reimbursment of unused legs after departure of outbound.

2. Cancel the ANA award booking and use alternative miles currency/cash to book the one-way trip. (Avianca Lifemiles, Aeroplan miles, etc.)
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
In that case, you have two choices:

1. Use the ANA award booking as is, and throw away the return. Absolutely no reimbursment of unused legs after departure of outbound.

2. Cancel the ANA award booking and use alternative miles currency/cash to book the one-way trip. (Avianca Lifemiles, Aeroplan miles, etc.)
Thanks Tokyoite! I'll probably either change the entire itinerary or just throw away the return.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Wasn’t there a method to mix classes? Was this using VS ? Then you could get an economy leg which won’t cost you that much points when you throw it away
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by blitzen
Wasn’t there a method to mix classes? Was this using VS ? Then you could get an economy leg which won’t cost you that much points when you throw it away
That would not be via AMC.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:33 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
What happens to the ticket value if for some reason the carrier cancels the flight? Would that get miles refunded?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by TA
What happens to the ticket value if for some reason the carrier cancels the flight? Would that get miles refunded?
you get leeway to change dates and routing but not origin/destination. valid for a year within ticket validity.
absolutely no one ways allowed by way or credits or refunds for return legs.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Marriott Platinum
You can cheat one-way by doing a multi city flight. something like fly one way, then dummy return with the cheapest mileage cost. For example, JFK-SG, then any valid NA city-JFK if you start in NA, or ICN-NYC, HND-ICN if you start in South Korea, etc. That way the return trip would only cost fewer miles not double. Just note the distance between the open jaw should probably be less than the distance between the other two flights

Last edited by zool007; Nov 5, 2019 at 10:15 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.