Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee!

Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee!

Old Jan 21, 20, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If there are two close to identical reports here on FT for AC-to-NH at YVR involving gate-checked bags, you can bet that there are dozens more.

The problem is that none of the existing rules or policies help. Without seeing the tickets, I suspect that the allowance was 2 bags per person and that AC simply checked the carryons without a fee (as it ought to do). That does not change the allowance for any segment, especially the long-haul on NH.

NH likely examines the baggage report, sees passengers with extra bags, cannot see a fee collected in the PNR notes and thus takes it on itself to do so.

On reflection, my suspicion with the "security at YVR" issue is that the bags were checked and on the sterile side of Customs for an international flight. There was no way to simply offload them either into the sterile area at the gate or for Customs without a passenger present. At least in these circumstances.

For the vast majority of passengers, the issue would have been unsettling, but would have been resolved with a credit card at the gate. One could then have sorted the issue or not between AC and NH afterwards. But, that isn't the case for people who simply lack those funds in a useful format, e.g. OP's parents who don't use credit cards.
whatchamackallit03 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If there are two close to identical reports here on FT for AC-to-NH at YVR involving gate-checked bags, you can bet that there are dozens more.

The problem is that none of the existing rules or policies help. Without seeing the tickets, I suspect that the allowance was 2 bags per person and that AC simply checked the carryons without a fee (as it ought to do). That does not change the allowance for any segment, especially the long-haul on NH.

NH likely examines the baggage report, sees passengers with extra bags, cannot see a fee collected in the PNR notes and thus takes it on itself to do so.

On reflection, my suspicion with the "security at YVR" issue is that the bags were checked and on the sterile side of Customs for an international flight. There was no way to simply offload them either into the sterile area at the gate or for Customs without a passenger present. At least in these circumstances.

For the vast majority of passengers, the issue would have been unsettling, but would have been resolved with a credit card at the gate. One could then have sorted the issue or not between AC and NH afterwards. But, that isn't the case for people who simply lack those funds in a useful format, e.g. OP's parents who don't use credit cards.
Problem is, as we saw on the thread in the NH forum, it's not that trivial to settle the issue with NH afterwards
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
I don't even know what I'd do in that situation. I don't think it's chargeback territory (voluntarily handing over your card to pay a $200 bag fee for NH to transport a third bag), but I also don't think NH or AC would reimburse me, based on the other incident.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
No, it would not qualify. It was not a denial due to overbooking.
Ah, but it was luggage overbooking.
Old Jan 21, 20, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
Ah, but it was luggage overbooking.
There was ample room for the luggage.
Old Jan 21, 20, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Aeroplan Diamond, NEXUS
So I followed up with ANA in YVR re: this and requested a notice of denied boarding.

ANA said they don’t issue this kind of document. We’re so sorry.

Anyone have first hand experience with this?
How did you go about with it?
I was able to save the conversation.
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:00 pm

I would try to connect the other affected traveling party, then try to get the attention of a Japanese media outlet stressing the facts that

-ANA refused to accept cash
-this travelers did not have a credit card
-it was carry on luggage checked by order of AC

Last edited by sokolov; Jan 21, 20 at 6:15 pm
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Originally Posted by whatchamackallit03 View Post
So I followed up with ANA in YVR re: this and requested a notice of denied boarding.

ANA said they don’t issue this kind of document. We’re so sorry.

Anyone have first hand experience with this?
How did you go about with it?
I was able to save the conversation.
You have been told, several times, correctly, that this was not denied boarding as that term has any meaning in this discussion.
flyquiet, canadiancow and RangerNS like this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The story is too complex for the media. The NH response will be, "these are the rules". The AC response will be, "we wish that there was always enough room in the OH for all carryons, but there isn't".

If there are these 2 on FT, there are a 100 more out there who simply paid the $200 extra for a bag and shook their heads.
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

If there are these 2 on FT, there are a 100 more out there who simply paid the $200 extra for a bag and shook their heads.
And 2 that went to Gabby.
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Yes I was looking to fly ANA via Japan to Asia but after seeing these two incidents I have changed my mind on flying ANA.
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
I would try to connect the other affected traveling party, then try to get the attention of a Japanese media outlet stressing the facts that

-ANA refused to accept cash
-this travelers did not have a credit card
-it was carry on luggage checked by order of AC
There's no Japanese media outlet that would care about this. (Which speaks to the core root of why OP and others have had this problem.)

Travel bloggers outside of Japan should be all over this, as I noted in the other thread.
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
One thing I dont understand here, how/why is Aeroplan involved in all this mid-trip, and after first segment has been flown?
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
One thing I dont understand here, how/why is Aeroplan involved in all this mid-trip, and after first segment has been flown?
The general confusion that travel agents are in it for anything but themselves and provid meaningful service beyond knowing how to interact with systems that predate the magical UI of CICS.
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
Yes I was looking to fly ANA via Japan to Asia but after seeing these two incidents I have changed my mind on flying ANA.
not sure why.

other airlines have done worse than this (and this is "solvable" via money and argument afterwards)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: