Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pewpew
Well I may have misread the response you quoted. I read "Otherwise, we go down the denied boarding route, we generate lots and lots of paperwork for everybody, and we get at least $600 of entertainment value out of the various responses." As saying they'd request IDB compensation afterwards, which I don't think would be possible
I didn't read it that way.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Certainly a lesson. I fly a lot on AC domestic with a star alliance International connection. I wonder what would have happened if the passenger had refused to gate check their bags out of YYC? If it's within the limits for carry one, can they force you to gate check?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Of course not.

But, they most certainly can prohibit you from boarding with the item.

More to the point and presuming that the OHs were full and your bag won't fit under the seat in front of you, what exactly would you propose AC do in the circumstance?

It is an issue faced by pretty much every carrier operating standard mainline single aisle aircraft and which has a reasonable carry-on allowance.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
We tried to explain that we didn't choose to gate check the bags and Air Canada forced us to, but she wouldn't waive the fee and was told I have to contact Air Canada for a refund or some sort of compensation.
Did I miss something?
Have you paid the 600 Dollars or not?
Why did you not just ignore the demand from the gate agent and refused to pay 600 Dollars?

Would ANA have gone down the route to deny boarding to all pax?

Last edited by warakorn; Jan 13, 2020 at 4:18 am
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Aeroplan Diamond, NEXUS
DENIED Boarding due to Airline’s Baggage Policy - Thoughts?

Denied Boarding due to baggage policy.

(aeroplan rewards booking, see attached photo)

I booked this trip for my parents and my brother.

I’m not flying with them.

Winnipeg - Checked in with 2 check in baggage per person. Party of 3 = 6 total.

Flight is full and they saw my dad got disabled sign (post stroke). Offered to check in one carry on per pax.

Total Bags: 9 tagged to final destination - MNL

Vancouver: Switched from Air Canada to ANA.

Told 1 hour prior to boarding they can only allow 6.

Gate Agent: You either pay the remaining luggage or deny boarding.

Me: No. What are my options?

Agent: You need to decide now boarding is soon.

They’re asking 600 USD.

My mom being practical suggested to just offload the bag and my son (me) will collect it and bring it at his place in BC.

So they offload the excess luggage.

Now, YVR security came up and told ANA you’re not allowed to leave the luggage. Either all of them stay here or one of them stayed to collect the offloaded luggage.

So Mom & Dad flew. My brother got stranded in YVR - denied boarding. Now, I’m on the phone with Aeroplan/ Air Canada trying to sort things out. Aeroplan says it’s Air Canada.

Air Canada says it’s Aeroplan.

Thoughts on this? Discuss.

Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems the issue is with ANA?

Why couldn't the luggage go back to carry on BTW?

Otherwise, why not paying and then arguing with AC/Aeroplan later?

This said, it seems very possible that the rules actually were in ANA's favor. But then we get into the more complicated issue of which rules apply in this sort of connections and what if the airlines which checked the luggage did in realtion to these rules. Anyway, issue itself does not sound very clear.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:39 pm

Didn't this EXACT thing happen a few weeks ago?

Air Canada is wrong. This has nothing to do with Aeroplan.

I don't think Aeroplan is right though. It's more an NH issue.

Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee! is the existing thread.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: *$ Green
This is pretty standard NH customer service. Absolutely excellent until something outside of SOP happens. Then you're completely SOL and the agent enters an infinite loop.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
A few thoughts on this:

1. If carrier A accepts baggage and through checks it in the same ticket to carrier B, carrier B is supposed to just accept it, even if it’s excess pieces. If carrier B wants it’s pound of flesh then they should settle this with carrier A’s accounting department. To extort the passenger like this at the gate is simply wrong.

2. If the through check was across different tickets on same PNR or different PNR, then carrier B has more of an argument to ask for payment, but again they should settle this with carrier A internally.

3. I wonder when AC DCS goes to Amadeus (which NH also uses) if this would have generated some message to AC about bag charges (and perhaps some way of acknowledging they accept the charges so NH doesn’t see them as unpaid).

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
This is pretty standard NH customer service. Absolutely excellent until something outside of SOP happens. Then you're completely SOL and the agent enters an infinite loop
Pretty par for the course for most Japanese organisations in my experience. Rigid rules and processes and cannot deal with logic, reason and rationality when there is an exception. But the food....
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:25 am
Suspended

Now, YVR security came up and told ANA you’re not allowed to leave the luggage. Either all of them stay here or one of them stayed to collect the offloaded luggage.
YVR Security? Really? They just walked up to the gate.
Something doesn't make sense here.

My brother got stranded in YVR - denied boarding.
I guess this is a real denied boarding situation. ANA needs to pay up.
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/denied-boarding-a-guide

Compensation

In all denied boarding cases within the airline's control except those required for safety, the airline must compensate the passenger for the inconvenience. The amount of compensation depends on how late the passenger arrives at the final destination, compared to the arrival time on their original itinerary. Specifically, airlines must pay:
  • $900 if the passenger arrives less than six hours;
  • $1,800 if the passenger arrives six hours or more, but less than nine hours; and
  • $2,400, if the passenger arrives nine hours or more late.
sokolov likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: QRPC
I would have paid the fee with a credit card and then claimed it back with the evidence provided after the trip.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
YVR Security? Really? They just walked up to the gate.
Something doesn't make sense here.

I guess this is a real denied boarding situation. ANA needs to pay up.
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/denied-boarding-a-guide
[h3]

Is it really denied boarding? Passenger would have boarded easily if luggage fee had been paid to ANA.

Me, I would have paid and fought it later. What’s the point of stranding brother in Vancouver?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:44 am
Suspended

Is it really denied boarding? Passenger would have boarded easily if luggage fee had been paid to ANA.
It's a denied boarding situation, because the pax requested ANA to release the bags.
After the release the claim of ANA is exactly CAD 0, hence, the pax are not liable to pay the luggage fee.
Nonetheless (as I follow the OP text) ANA denied one passenger boarding.

As they has not been any issue with the plane (safety), this denied boarding situation is fully within the control of the airline.
Hence, ANA has to pay up CAD 2.400 in compensation + possibly a full ticket refund/free rebooking.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:51 am

Denied boarding compensation from those regulations only applies if it was due to overbooking.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
on your aeroplan booking email it says how many bags you get for each leg. can you post that photo?
and i would use that as proof that you should have been able to take the bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.