Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA Premium Economy Upgrades for Elite Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH Platinum/*G

Noticed that no one is discussing this new promo!

ANA is allowing its elite members (platinum, diamond, super flyers) to make confirmed premium economy upgrades for all flights through March 30, 2020 for all economy fare classes. However, this comes as a devaluation of these elite status (there's no more same day confirmed premium economy upgrades anymore )

However, if you do have elite status, it's a nice way to end such a valuable perk for AMC Elite members.

-----

Eligible Member
2019 Diamond Service Members
2019 Platinum Service Members
ANA Super Flyers Members

Applicable boarding period
From October 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020

Upgrade Reservation Period
From 27 September, 2019 11:30a.m. (Japan Time) planned up to 24 hours prior to the departure of the relevant flight

Eligible Flights
ANA Group(ANA/Air Japan) operated flights
Not available for codeshare flights with ANA flight numbers which are operated by other airlines, or codeshare flights with other airlines' flight numbers which are operated by ANA.

Eligible Booking Classes
All Economy Class booking classes

-----

Sorry, I couldn't post the link as I'm a long time reader, first time poster!
Old Sep 29, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Discussed exhaustively here.
NH*G Complimentary Upgrade to Premium Economy to end 3/31/2019!!!
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing Tokyoite. It seems like that thread is quite old and a bunch of new details were only recently released. In fact, the upgrade system for premium economy just went live this past Friday.

Basically, elite members can now *confirm* upgrades from economy rather than waiting for day-of upgrades upon availability. If anyone has any upcoming travel and elite status, they can benefit from his program before the elite status gets depreciated.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: ANA Mileage Club
No way.

*confirm* is a joke. Really disappointed with this “service”. I booked the moment it opened for a “confirmed upgrade” on a mid October flight - the PY cabin is currently 3/24 and I was waitlisted. 3 days later still waitlisted and no additional seats sold. Thanks a lot...
Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Nick Delgrego -- there has to be premium economy award availability in order to confirm. You can check that by clicking the "Reflect Availability" button on the flight selection page. For example, I just did an award availability search for JFK-TYO and found several available dates in December 2019 and February 2020. If it's a very premium heavy route, then it's more unlikely to have availability as the highest premium members (diamonds) gets first dibs.

Also, waitlisting does work sometimes. I was once able to upgrade from economy to business for 2 people after waiting for a few months. I booked a flight for 2 people for February 2019. I requested the wait list on August 28, 2018. The wait list cleared on November 21, 2018.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: ANA Mileage Club
Originally Posted by WoopAndWob
Nick Delgrego -- there has to be premium economy award availability in order to confirm. You can check that by clicking the "Reflect Availability" button on the flight selection page. For example, I just did an award availability search for JFK-TYO and found several available dates in December 2019 and February 2020. If it's a very premium heavy route, then it's more unlikely to have availability as the highest premium members (diamonds) gets first dibs.

Also, waitlisting does work sometimes. I was once able to upgrade from economy to business for 2 people after waiting for a few months. I booked a flight for 2 people for February 2019. I requested the wait list on August 28, 2018. The wait list cleared on November 21, 2018.
The business upgrades worked very differently than the 24-hour remaining PY free upgrades for dia/plt/sfc.

I cannot find this “reflect availability” for flights from now until April 1 2020. Just an error message saying that PY flight awards cannot be reserved until 4/2020. (PY upgrades can be - if available???)

Im just disappointed that there are still 15+ empty seats
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick Delgrego
The business upgrades worked very differently than the 24-hour remaining PY free upgrades for dia/plt/sfc.

I cannot find this “reflect availability” for flights from now until April 1 2020. Just an error message saying that PY flight awards cannot be reserved until 4/2020. (PY upgrades can be - if available???)

Im just disappointed that there are still 15+ empty seats
The "reflect availability" button is towards the middle of the page when buying a paid fare on the flight selection page (the page where you can select the cheapest economy vs flexible economy vs premium economy).

I would imagine that premium economy upgrades will be handled the same way as business upgrades. Are you sure you logged in when searching for award availability? I just did an award search for Feb 5 - Feb 19, JFK-HND and was able to find availability. The total price is 62,000 miles + $358 in taxes/fees per person. In fact, I was able to find availability for 2.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: ANA, JAL
This promo is crap. It's almost impossible to find availability, most of the flights show "waitlist". And the system did not work for me when I wanted to apply for PY upgrade for a booking I have in December. I had to actually call the SFC desk to get registered on the waiting list.
Another question is, how will this work with the Bidmyprice process? Or what if you paid to confirmed a "preferred" windows or aisle seat at reservation (Dia/plt can select them for free, not SFC). If you clear the upgrade do you get your money back?

Things are getting kind of complicated...
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Formoz
This promo is crap. It's almost impossible to find availability, most of the flights show "waitlist".
It is called capacity controls.
ANA wants to control the cabin, and it is their right.
cur likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: ANA, JAL
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
It is called capacity controls.
ANA wants to control the cabin, and it is their right.
I don't deny it is their right to control the cabin and how much seat they open for upgrade, that's fair enough. But it doesn't change the fact that the promotion itself (upgrade for free until March 31st 2020) is crap. What's the point of offering this if there is no availability. Especially as it is short so there is no way to look for availability far in advance. This is just a PR smokescreen to cover for the end of PY upgrade for elite members on the day of boarding.

Last edited by Formoz; Oct 2, 2019 at 8:42 pm
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by WoopAndWob
Noticed that no one is discussing this new promo!

ANA is allowing its elite members (platinum, diamond, super flyers) to make confirmed premium economy upgrades for all flights through March 30, 2020 for all economy fare classes. However, this comes as a devaluation of these elite status (there's no more same day confirmed premium economy upgrades anymore )

However, if you do have elite status, it's a nice way to end such a valuable perk for AMC Elite members.

-----

Eligible Member
2019 Diamond Service Members
2019 Platinum Service Members
ANA Super Flyers Members

Applicable boarding period
From October 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020

Upgrade Reservation Period
From 27 September, 2019 11:30a.m. (Japan Time) planned up to 24 hours prior to the departure of the relevant flight

Eligible Flights
ANA Group(ANA/Air Japan) operated flights
Not available for codeshare flights with ANA flight numbers which are operated by other airlines, or codeshare flights with other airlines' flight numbers which are operated by ANA.

Eligible Booking Classes
All Economy Class booking classes

-----

Sorry, I couldn't post the link as I'm a long time reader, first time poster!
I hate this. One of the reasons I book a more expensive flight with LH is to include an ANA operated flight and now I cannot upgrade to PY? sucks...
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:02 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Formoz
This promo is crap. It's almost impossible to find availability, most of the flights show "waitlist".
Things are getting kind of complicated...
this promo is actually really good. upgrades based on clearly defined award availability without instruments on almost any fare. that's as good as it gets.

so you want ana to give you premium economy on a economy fare? why even bother selling premium economy fares then? i mean, as the consumer i'd love that but...
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by cur
this promo is actually really good. upgrades based on clearly defined award availability without instruments on almost any fare. that's as good as it gets.

so you want ana to give you premium economy on a economy fare? why even bother selling premium economy fares then? i mean, as the consumer i'd love that but...
No I just want the same deal they gave us for years
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:05 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
No I just want the same deal they gave us for years
agree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.