Booking Business Class Award, Lap Infant 10% Fee?

Old Sep 2, 19, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Booking Business Class Award, Lap Infant 10% Fee?

So my husband and I have saved up enough miles for 2 round trip business class flights from IAH to Tokyo. We plan on taking our 1 year old with us, and on ANA website it says theres a 10% cost for lap infants.
does anyone know if that would be 10% the "retail"cost of those seats? Or could we do 10% miles( so like 8,500 miles)

Anyone flown with an infant on an award flight?
Old Sep 2, 19, 9:44 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
See Terms & Condition
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/amc/refe.../int/zone.html

Infant passengers who do not require their own seat will be able to use flight awards by paying 10% of the required flight award mileage for the same boarding class as the accompanying adult. In this instance, the infant must be registered as an award user.

Alternatively, an infant fare ticket can be purchased separately for the same boarding class as the accompanying adult.
Grapenut and Tokyoite like this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:20 pm

Programs: Mid Tier AF - UA Gold, HH Dia, Bonvoy something
Disregard, Wasabi Tofu ftw
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by janie2002 View Post
So my husband and I have saved up enough miles for 2 round trip business class flights from IAH to Tokyo. We plan on taking our 1 year old with us, and on ANA website it says theres a 10% cost for lap infants.
does anyone know if that would be 10% the "retail"cost of those seats? Or could we do 10% miles( so like 8,500 miles)

Anyone flown with an infant on an award flight?
Are you using ANA miles or is this a partner award?
Old Sep 3, 19, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Are you using ANA miles or is this a partner award?
amex points being transferred to ANA
Old Sep 3, 19, 11:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
10% cost in ANA miles for the lap infant, as per the T&C above.
ANA miles is 85K miles return, so the infant is 8.5K miles return. So the three of you would be 178.5K miles return.
Old Oct 4, 19, 9:37 am

Bumping this for related question.

It appears if a lap child departs on the RT before Age 2, the child can return after turning 2 without issue according to the website.

So a RT trip such as:

Day 1 child is 1yr 11 months 2 weeks old departs to Japan
Day 13 child turns 2
Day 14 Return flight to US should be OK as lapchild.

That look correct?
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/amc/refe.../zone.html#a04

Age on the day of departure for the first sector.
Old Oct 4, 19, 9:38 am

Double Post
Old Oct 5, 19, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Yes. Book a return with age at outbound <2yrs n return is at the <2 rate.
Old Oct 5, 19, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Teddy Ruxpin View Post
Bumping this for related question.

It appears if a lap child departs on the RT before Age 2, the child can return after turning 2 without issue according to the website.

So a RT trip such as:

Day 1 child is 1yr 11 months 2 weeks old departs to Japan
Day 13 child turns 2
Day 14 Return flight to US should be OK as lapchild.

That look correct?
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/amc/refe.../zone.html#a04
Are you asking about the cost or are you saying that you think your +2 year old can still be a lap infant on the return? I donít know about the pricing but regardless of whether they charge or not, no child over the age of 2 can travel as a lap child. Period. If I have misunderstood your post (your Day 14), my apologies, but it sounds like you think your over 2 year old child can still be a lap child. They cannot.

8 days - less than 2 years old Travel in adult's lap
2-11 years old Child must be seated in a seat
Old Oct 7, 19, 6:32 am

Thanks y'all.

So the 2 year old can get a return at the 10% rate while occupying a seat if the outbound leg occurs before they turned 2?

It is confusing since the website states an infant occupying their own seat must pay the adult rate. And if the requirement is a >2 must have a seat, you get in a bit of a logic pickle with the lower mileage caveat being an exception.

In any case, it would appear if it is true a <2 lapchild on the outbound is required a seat, and after turning 2, can book at 10% rate on the return to occupy a seat, that would require me to find 2 business class seats on the outbound and 3 business class seats on the return for my wife, myself, and the child. Again, unless, the airline will allow my infant to take any unoccupied seat not subject to award availability controls?

I have to make sure I have this right before booking, since it may change the available dates of travel. It would be much nicer if this trip didn't have to coincide with his birthday!

Last edited by Teddy Ruxpin; Oct 7, 19 at 6:40 am
Old Oct 7, 19, 3:43 pm

You might try asking TrunkSpace.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30192280-post25.html
Old Oct 8, 19, 7:21 am

Thanks for the tip. I've reached out to him.

Hope I can figure this out, as it is quite the game changer, especially if the child seat isn't based on award availability of seats on the return leg.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:47 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Teddy Ruxpin View Post
Thanks y'all.

So the 2 year old can get a return at the 10% rate while occupying a seat if the outbound leg occurs before they turned 2?
No.
2 years old can get a return at the 10% rate if the age of the first segment is less than 2 years old. However it is an infant fare, so even a child more than 2 years old, he/she can't get a seat.
Furthermore, maximum weight of bassinet in ANA is 10kg. Average weight of 24 months old is around 10kg. In that case, you have to hold your child (who may be more that 10kg, even 15kg) on your lap during whole flight.

EDIT ADDED:
Above information was confirmed by an agent of ANA international reservation phone line just before my posting.
Teddy Ruxpin likes this.

Last edited by Wasabi Tofu; Oct 11, 19 at 1:23 am
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
No.
2 years old can get a return at the 10% rate if the age of the first segment is less than 2 years old. However it is an infant fare, so even a child more than 2 years old, he/she can't get a seat.
Furthermore, maximum weight of bassinet in ANA is 10kg. Average weight of 24 months old is around 10kg. In that case, you have to hold your child (who may be more that 10kg, even 15kg) on your lap during whole flight.

Thanks Wasabi, so the previous poster who said a 2 year old has to have their own seat in this situation was incorrect then. So if the lapchild departs <2 years old he may return as a lapchild >2 years old at the 10% rate.

Appreciate the clarification. Lots of misunderstanding on this issue.

Also great news for our trip flexibility.

Search this Thread