Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Booking Business Class Award, Lap Infant 10% Fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Business Class Award, Lap Infant 10% Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by fenix8o0
i called ANA to clarify and agent said it's 10% miles for infant when only flying on ANA metal.
Again, I’m not talking about the cost. The OP is under the impression his +2 year old can fly on lap. It cannot. The airline involved doesn’t matter as it is not a carrier-specific rule. Any child +2 years old must have a seat. Whether ANA charges for that or not is a different subject. But the child must have it’s own seat once it is +2 years old.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Finkface
Again, I’m not talking about the cost. The OP is under the impression his +2 year old can fly on lap. It cannot. The airline involved doesn’t matter as it is not a carrier-specific rule. Any child +2 years old must have a seat. Whether ANA charges for that or not is a different subject. But the child must have it’s own seat once it is +2 years old.
However, an ANA agent clearly said, a child of 25 months can fly as a lap infant when flying the first segment as an real infant with an infant fare.
And the agent confirmed you can take 25 months child on your lap.

May I have a pointer for IATA rule or something that state a child over 24 months can't fly on lap in any carrier and any situation ?
I will call ANA with that pointer, and talk about ANA's policy.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
However, an ANA agent clearly said, a child of 25 months can fly as a lap infant when flying the first segment as an real infant with an infant fare.
And the agent confirmed you can take 25 months child on your lap.

May I have a pointer for IATA rule or something that state a child over 24 months can't fly on lap in any carrier and any situation ?
I will call ANA with that pointer, and talk about ANA's policy.
Well the agent was wrong or misunderstood what you were asking. As I said, it is not about the fare. It is about having to physically have a seat for a child over 2 years old regardless of whether the airline charges for it or not. A child over 2 cannot be a lap infant. Period. On any flight, anywhere. But you seem to want to believe otherwise so please go ahead and try it. I am done with this.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/servicei...ily/#anchor018
Attached Images  
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:53 am

For the FAA, it's 14 CFR 91.107.

"Each person on board a U.S.-registered civil aircraft . . . must occupy an approved seat . . . with a safety belt . . . properly secured about him or her during movement on the surface, takeoff, and landing. . . . Notwithstanding the preceding . . . , a person may . . . [b]e held by an adult who is occupying an approved seat . . . , provided that the person being held has not reached his or her second birthday . . ."

IATA's Cabin Operations Safety Best Practices Guide offers recommended practices. It's 2019 5th edition even has a section exactly on point. But I couldn't find a copy online.

Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:58 am

The IATA 2017 edition calls for a seat, and for airlines to have a procedure to identify children who will turn two during travel and provide them with a seat. I think ANA's website makes it quite clear that every child 2 and older needs a seat. What's not clear is how much that seat costs.

Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:59 am

Edit: never mind
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
I thank all of you for valuable information.

I called ANA again, and mentioned IATA's Cabin safety guidance (above).
STILL, ANA agent insisted they accept 2+ years child as an infant when flying the first segment as a real infant, even existence of IATA's guidance.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Alaska
I thank all of you for valuable information.

I called ANA again, and mentioned IATA's Cabin safety guidance (above).
STILL, ANA agent insisted they accept 2+ years child as an infant when flying the first segment as a real infant, even existence of IATA's guidance.

I think there is miscommunication between you and the airline agents.

The airlines will sell tickets to you at lap infant price because he/she is lap infant when taking the 1st leg.

However, operationally, he/she will get a seat when he/she is two years old taking the remaining legs, per IATA rules.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
I think there is miscommunication between you and the airline agents.

The airlines will sell tickets to you at lap infant price because he/she is lap infant when taking the 1st leg.

However, operationally, he/she will get a seat when he/she is two years old taking the remaining legs, per IATA rules.
All right. I give up further discussion. I could fix miscommunication between ANA agent and me.

Again, I appreciate pointers to IATA document.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu;[url=tel:31629207
31629207[/url]]I thank all of you for valuable information.
Good travels

Please report back after your trip and add to the collective knowledge on this board.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:04 pm

Following up with actual experience in case helpful as got private message questions on this.

ANA (and JAL) confirmed that they wouldn't give a free seat for the return trip but the now 2-year old could fly as a lap infant. Booked the flights then called to add lap infant, they checked date of birth, few minutes on hold and they again confirmed for the return sitting on lap was OK. Price was the typical 10% + taxes.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Petdog
TrunkSpace was kind enough to post a follow-up that answers the question: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31652594-post27.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.