Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Booking Business Class Award, Lap Infant 10% Fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by ushela03
Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid paying 10% of a revenue F fair for an infant lap child.

I have LAX-NRT F award on hold through Virgin Atlantic for 2 adults. Price for both is 220,000 miles + $512.22 We want to fly with my 1 year old. Virgin Atlantic said the infant ticket has to be done with ANA. ANA wants $1789 for the infant lap ticket.

Your help is appreciated.
Very unfortunate, but it is what it is. You'll need to evaluate your trip and decide to either;
1. Switch to business class, award space dependent, where 10% is slightly more manageable
2. Split the couple, with one parent going in F and the other in economy with the infant, and the 10% for economy is drastically less.
You could switch on the cabins on the daytime outbound and red-eye inbound (Talk to cabin crew at boarding).
3. Get a baby sitter costing way less than $1790 (I doubt a parent would chose this)
4. Buy a revenue ticket in economy/premium economy, where 10% is drastically less.
5. Just pay the $1750 using any of the credit cards with fantastic cash-back/discounts/points accruals for airline purchases.
6. Abandon trip and stay home with the infant
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:29 am

Infants under two policy in J & F

Hi there,

We're planning on SFO-NRT (777) with our 18-month old. I have a couple of F tickets on hold via VS miles. I gather from ANA that an infant under 2 must be an infant-in-arms/lap infant in F across all aircraft.

Is that the same in J, or can an infant under two have their own seat in J on the 777?

The cost implication - as far as I understand it - would mean that it is significantly cheaper for us to book three J seats, all on VS miles, instead of 2 F on miles + lap infant. ANA seems to only accept a full cash ticket for an infant-in-arms added to a partner mileage redemption. Or have I got that wrong?

Thank you!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by ushela03
Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid paying 10% of a revenue F fair for an infant lap child.

I have LAX-NRT F award on hold through Virgin Atlantic for 2 adults. Price for both is 220,000 miles + $512.22 We want to fly with my 1 year old. Virgin Atlantic said the infant ticket has to be done with ANA. ANA wants $1789 for the infant lap ticket.

Your help is appreciated.
Yes, I've just done it! The simple answer is that VS agent you first spoke to is wrong. Hang up, try again! My guess is LAX-NRT is the same as SFO-NRT, which came it at 14k VS miles and $60 for our 18-month old to join us in F.

A *lot* better than $2k I also got quoted the first time around!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
ANA seems to only accept a full cash ticket for an infant-in-arms added to a partner mileage redemption. Or have I got that wrong?

Thank you!
Just to answer this part of my question. That is an incorrect assumption on my part. For SFO-NRT r/t in F, it's 14k VS miles and about Ł45 or $60.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by beastieb
Wondering if anyone has had an experience similar to this. My brother booked a first class award ticket with VS miles and called in to ANA a few weeks ago to get an infant lap seat ticket added to the reservation. The ANA agent was going through the process to create the ticket and when she was about to charge him he told her to hold off and said he'd call back to check on price later as he was quoted it would be 10% the cost of a revenue ticket which was about $16,000 at the time and the agent advise it may drop at some point if he wants to add it later. Today he went on to the ANA website and there seems to be a ticket issued for his infant with her name and passport number and everything, he was just never charged for it. Anyone else have this happen, is there any way to determine if the ticket was actually fully issued, or if he will still be charged?
Hey, there please see this thread for a (positive) outcome. There seem to be a lot of queries about VS mileage redemptions ANA with regard to lap infants, so perhaps a mod might unify the threads into one?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Free agent flyer, Hyatt Globalist
Hey, there please see this thread for a (positive) outcome. There seem to be a lot of queries about VS mileage redemptions ANA with regard to lap infants, so perhaps a mod might unify the threads into one?
That link doesn't seem to load for me. Was the outcome that the charge was only 10% of the miles for an infant lap child?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by kluever
That link doesn't seem to load for me. Was the outcome that the charge was only 10% of the miles for an infant lap child?
The outcome was 14k VS miles plus nominal TFC (something like Ł45) to add the lap infant ticket for a r/t (SFO-NRT)
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
I can confirm the 14000 VS mile charge and nominal cash.

Just booked two adults and one infant in ANA F LAX-HND for 234000 VS miles and around $750.

YQ comes up at $260 each
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
The outcome was 14k VS miles plus nominal TFC (something like Ł45) to add the lap infant ticket for a r/t (SFO-NRT)
Originally Posted by sammybk
I can confirm the 14000 VS mile charge and nominal cash.
Is this a new VS policy for infant tickets for ANA partner? Can't seem to find a link anyway on their site
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:58 am

Does anyone have experience with an infant turning two during a trip? Have an event and baby birthday date clash, so either a very short trip or returning after 2nd birthday. VS said they have same policy as BA, where you pay normal infant price and they give a seat on return leg (seems very generous). However, they don't know ANA's policy and called ANA without getting a clear answer.

Any first hand experience would be great - thank you
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:59 am

I've been researching infant tickets and found below on VS website - confirms same as discussion above
https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en...n-airways.html
Grapenut likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:54 pm

So my husband and I have saved up enough miles for 2 round trip business class flights from IAH to Tokyo. We plan on taking our 1 year old with us, and on ANA website it says theres a 10% cost for lap infants.
does anyone know if that would be 10% the "retail"cost of those seats? Or could we do 10% miles( so like 8,500 miles)

Anyone flown with an infant on an award flight?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
See Terms & Condition
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/amc/refe.../int/zone.html

Infant passengers who do not require their own seat will be able to use flight awards by paying 10% of the required flight award mileage for the same boarding class as the accompanying adult. In this instance, the infant must be registered as an award user.

Alternatively, an infant fare ticket can be purchased separately for the same boarding class as the accompanying adult.
Grapenut and Tokyoite like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
Disregard, Wasabi Tofu ftw
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by janie2002
So my husband and I have saved up enough miles for 2 round trip business class flights from IAH to Tokyo. We plan on taking our 1 year old with us, and on ANA website it says theres a 10% cost for lap infants.
does anyone know if that would be 10% the "retail"cost of those seats? Or could we do 10% miles( so like 8,500 miles)

Anyone flown with an infant on an award flight?
Are you using ANA miles or is this a partner award?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.