Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Unable to choose seats on my ANA flight (flight cancellations involved)

Old Aug 31, 19, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Hi people!

I am afraid of the response I may receive here but would like to double check anyway in case of any new ideas you may come up with. My situation is the following:
Originally booked the following route through ANA webpage and paid for it directly to them (including prepaid seat reservation of 50 USD so I could ensure 2 window seats in the twenty-something rows of the plan as I had originally wanted it):

- Buenos Aires - NYC (United)
- NYC - Tokyo - NYC (ANA)
- NYC - Buenos Aires (United)

All was fine with seat reservation as I wanted, until United chose to discontinue their Buenos Aires - NYC route 2 weeks ago. Because of this problem (including not being able to visit NYC when we wanted, having our route changed), we went to United Airlines offices in our city (ANA local offices said they could not help us unfortunately) and they issued new flights, going through Houston instead of NYC, without additional costs (and these included Buenos Aires - Houston - Buenos Aires flights by United + Houston to Tokyo and back in ANA flights).

When we went back home with our new tickets, we were shocked to discover that even though the new flights were now present in my web reservation (in ANA.com) we had been put in the last seats of the plane (seats in rows 41/42 basically) for each leg between Houston and Tokyo, next to the bathroom + food carts, which was not at all what I expected, and less so after paid for a prepaid seat reservation fee with my initial purchase. After this, I contacted ANA local offices again, they said they could not help so I called ANA in the USA (with the high costs involved) 3 different times + United local offices several times, without success in obtaining better seats. While ANA USA tells me that because United booked these new flights (which are indeed ANA own flights...) they have no power at all to change my seat reservation. When I speak with United, they tell me that it is an ANA flight and that they cannot do anything about it....

So, basically, even though having bought the flights initially through ANA website, paid for prepaid reservation fees to get the seats I wanted (plus booking almost 8 months in advance to ensure I got those seats), I am now left with the worst seats of the plan without any possible solution I can think of.

Do you know what else I could do? Any recommendations as to how to proceed?

Thank you!
Old Sep 2, 19, 4:54 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Please confirm:
booked on ANA website = 13 digit ticket number begins with 205, right?
When United rebooked you, did you receive a new ticket number?
if so, does the new ticket number begin with 205 (ANA ticket) or begin with 016 (United ticket)

If it’s now a 016 ticket, United “tampered” with the ticket and you’ll need to call ANA and see if they can rectify the issue (about online seat selection etc.)
Old Sep 2, 19, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Hey Tokioite, thanks for your response! Yes, actually the number I was given originally started with 205, having been issued by ANA themselves. Then United entered the picture by trying to solve the situation they got me in and seems to have issued new tickets under 016-..... So I think the only solution would be for United to ask ANA to change the ticket number If that is a possiblity (or for United to cancel the tickets they issued and ask ANA to issue a new one, paid for by them of course due to all the mess we´ve been put into).

Thanks again!
Old Sep 5, 19, 2:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
it’s now a 016 ticket, United “tampered” with the ticket and you’ll need to call ANA and see if they can rectify the issue (use the $100 already paid for two seats as credit for reserving two new seats on the IAH-NRT flight). Or, re-issue ticket under 205 ANA ticket number if need be.

Search this Thread