Is it possible to upgrade HNL-NRT-HNL?

Old Aug 19, 19, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Is it possible to upgrade HNL-NRT-HNL?

Aloha! I'll be visiting Japan in November with the following routing: ITO-HNL-NRT-ITM and the opposite on the return. I booked the tickets through United and the flights have United codeshare numbers even though the segments are operated by ANA. I'm interested in upgrading the HNL-NRT and NRT-HNL segments and wondering what options I have.

If the codeshare is a problem, is there any kind of workaround that I can do to clean things up?

Thanks for the advice!
Old Aug 19, 19, 10:04 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by alenguy View Post
Aloha! I'll be visiting Japan in November with the following routing: ITO-HNL-NRT-ITM and the opposite on the return. I booked the tickets through United and the flights have United codeshare numbers even though the segments are operated by ANA. I'm interested in upgrading the HNL-NRT and NRT-HNL segments and wondering what options I have.

If the codeshare is a problem, is there any kind of workaround that I can do to clean things up?

Thanks for the advice!
It is probably more a question for the UA forum, but if you have the right level of booking classes, you can apply a GPU. You might need to have the flights changed to the native numbers for that. But that is possible.

Beyond applying a GPU, you can also use Star Alliance points for the upgrade, though in practical terms, that is probably not a very likely option. The booking class requirement is very strict, and there needs to be award space available.

Apart from that, I think you are out of options.
Old Aug 20, 19, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Reissue tickets in native flight number, but check if actual award space exists.
codeshares are a beach!

Search this Thread