Ending diamond status this year

Old Aug 7, 19, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH Diamond
Ending diamond status this year

Hi!
After 4 years I will not be looking to follow up my Diamond status this year.
I have noticed a gradual change in service quality, particularly over the last 6 months, where the airline has forgotten my luggage, staff donít say the usual greetings after boarding and more importantly the main perk, I canít get the auto upgrade to premium on most flights these days. What disappoints me about this is prior to flights I get an email from ďBidMyPriceĒ asking me to bid for premium, so there are seats available.
I fly economy internationally for work and the main perk of diamond was the free upgrades.
anyone else leaving for One World? Comparison of other airlines in the SA network?
Old Aug 7, 19, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by majicka View Post
Hi!
After 4 years I will not be looking to follow up my Diamond status this year.
I have noticed a gradual change in service quality, particularly over the last 6 months, where the airline has forgotten my luggage, staff donít say the usual greetings after boarding and more importantly the main perk, I canít get the auto upgrade to premium on most flights these days. What disappoints me about this is prior to flights I get an email from ďBidMyPriceĒ asking me to bid for premium, so there are seats available.
I fly economy internationally for work and the main perk of diamond was the free upgrades.
anyone else leaving for One World? Comparison of other airlines in the SA network?
ANA officially announced the end of the perk of the free PY upgrades, which is clearly because they want to monetize the cabin by releasing the available seats for BidMyPrice. If there are still seats available when you reach the airport, you should still be able to get them, the transition period runs until March 31st 2020 if I remember correctly.

None of the OneWorld airliens offers a similar perk, free upgardes to PY on long haul. AA allows you to use SWUs, but a better a use of those would be for upgrades to J. I can't think of a Star Alliance carrier that offers something similar. United will, like AA, require a certificate for upgrade from Y to PY.

Staff greetings are highly variable on most airlines, I do find Cathay and Qatar very consistent, but certainly not 100% success rate.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 4:48 am

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Having being an elite in OW, *A and ST, I must say that I find OW to be the most generous in their perks to their elite flyers. Coming to *A was a fairly bit of adjustments - no advance seat selection, restricted to one guest to lounge (whereas in OW, I was able to bring the mrs. and kid into the lounge) and the two lounge setup (one for *A elites and the other for the carrier elites) of some carriers.

Have not decided if I will remain in *A after 2020.
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by salfcl View Post
Having being an elite in OW, *A and ST, I must say that I find OW to be the most generous in their perks to their elite flyers. Coming to *A was a fairly bit of adjustments - no advance seat selection, restricted to one guest to lounge (whereas in OW, I was able to bring the mrs. and kid into the lounge) and the two lounge setup (one for *A elites and the other for the carrier elites) of some carriers.

In all fairness to *A only Lufthansa HON Cicle and SQ PPS gets lounge access that members from other airlines don't get, but those two levels are not exactly your standard Star Alliance Gold. Does ANA even have an equivalent card level? United has Global Services, but even GS does not get Polaris Lounge access when in Y.

Getting the better half and kid in to OW lounges is certainly not an alliance wide stated benefit, how it is practically managed I don't know from neither OW nor *A perspective, but a lot of individual airlines have better policies for their own members.

In many ways, I find being emerald in OW far better than being *G, but comparing comparing OWE to *G is not exactly apples to apples. *A should really introduce a level above *G. Star Alliance Platinum?
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:49 am
mhy

Programs: JAL Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by salfcl View Post

Some OW carriers have the 2-lounge thing too...think QR, BA
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhy View Post
Some OW carriers have the 2-lounge thing too...think QR, BA
For QR they are not restricted by status, but by class. Though there has been rumours for a long while the QR Platinum would get access as well. Though nothing seems to have been published yet. For BA the Concorde Room, is mainly by class, though somehwere a good deal above OWE (BA Gold) you can get a Concorde Room card as well.. I know BA and AA started reciprocal recognition of the levels above OWE, so maybe the AA Concierge Key passengers gets access as well if they are flying BA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: