Traveling ANA in First with child

Old Jun 3, 19, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Traveling ANA in First with child

Let me preface by saying that I understand traveling in F with young child is divisive and my questions are all First World problems. However, I will be traveling in ANA F for the first time soon and lucky to have my 5 1/2 year old daughter with me. Looking forward to having this trip together.

She is very well-behaved and fairly savvy traveler, but still would like kids snacks and toys, of course. Do I need to contact/inform the airline prior to advise them of her age to have some of those items available? Do I need to order a child's meal for her and if I do, will that preclude her from trying the onboard F menu?

Thanks in advance for any insight and suggestions.
Old Jun 3, 19, 12:45 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
A 5.5 year old that behaves well should e fine on that trip. But TPAC flights are often 13 hours long!

Expect to bring your own toys and kid snacks.

The 2 of you will be quite isolated.

Have you looked at the F menues? Have tou looked at the cabin pictures of the isolated seats? It is impossible to chat between seats in that cabin; even between the 2 inside aisle seats. Also, the NH F cabins are quieter than a library. Neighbors do not want to hear conversations.

youtube has many NH F trip reports for your review.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jun 3, 19, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
A 5.5 year old that behaves well should e fine on that trip. But TPAC flights are often 16 hours long!

Expect to bring your own toys and kid snacks. Sadly the great CX PJ's are way too big for kids.

However, other than dining together in your suite, the 2 of you will be quite isolated unless she sits nxt to you in the same suite (the seat is VERY wide when the armrest us up.

Have you looked at the F menues? Have tou looked at the cabin pictures of the isolated seats? It is impossible to chat between seats in that cabin.

youtube has many CX F trip reports for your review.
ANA so should be shorter.
Old Jun 3, 19, 12:50 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
ANA so should be shorter.
Oops, I corrected my airline references a minute after posting.
Old Jun 3, 19, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
A 5.5 year old that behaves well should e fine on that trip. But TPAC flights are often 13 hours long!

Expect to bring your own toys and kid snacks.

The 2 of you will be quite isolated.

Have you looked at the F menues? Have tou looked at the cabin pictures of the isolated seats? It is impossible to chat between seats in that cabin; even between the 2 inside aisle seats. Also, the NH F cabins are quieter than a library. Neighbors do not want to hear conversations.

youtube has many NH F trip reports for your review.
Thank you for the input; I really do appreciate it.

I am aware of the NH F trip reports and thus mostly what to expect in terms of isolation and quietness of the cabin. I will be responsible for trying out the Hibiki 17 and she will be for the Mapple sparkling juice!

My questions were more in line of whether I need to pre-notify airline regarding the little toys/activities NH gives out in coach. Also if there's any need to pre-order child meal in F, just to have as an option.
Old Jun 3, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelBug1314 View Post
Thank you for the input; I really do appreciate it.

I am aware of the NH F trip reports and thus mostly what to expect in terms of isolation and quietness of the cabin. I will be responsible for trying out the Hibiki 17 and she will be for the Mapple sparkling juice!

My questions were more in line of whether I need to pre-notify airline regarding the little toys/activities NH gives out in coach. Also if there's any need to pre-order child meal in F, just to have as an option.
No harm to call them. They are usually very nice and more than happy to give you toys.
I know JL is offering some fancy child meals in F. Don't know if NH's child meal is the same in F/J/Y.
They should be willing to offer you food on the F menu if it is available even if you pre-ordered child meal.

Last edited by Lentibear; Jun 4, 19 at 1:33 pm
Old Jun 4, 19, 12:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
No need to notify them. Theyíll know it from the manifest.
however, as previously mentioned, that cabin for this long a flight is quite boring for a young adult to play/eat/sleep alone. Donít expect to do anything together at your seats. The cabin is simply not designed for non solo travelers. (Donít expect even to dine together on one table!)

if if you are already locked into ANA F, then just endure it. Otherwise, better to switch to another airline or downgrade to business class.
It will be a slightly better experience for your child due to less isolation, and potentially at at a lower cost.

the YouTube trip reports show how it is.
Old Jun 4, 19, 1:31 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Just in case the OP is flying the new A380 on the Honolulu route, that is a much better seat for the situation as the middle partition can be lowered properly
Old Jun 4, 19, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
No need to notify them. Theyíll know it from the manifest.
however, as previously mentioned, that cabin for this long a flight is quite boring for a young adult to play/eat/sleep alone. Donít expect to do anything together at your seats. The cabin is simply not designed for non solo travelers. (Donít expect even to dine together on one table!)

if if you are already locked into ANA F, then just endure it. Otherwise, better to switch to another airline or downgrade to business class.
It will be a slightly better experience for your child due to less isolation, and potentially at at a lower cost.

the YouTube trip reports show how it is.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Just in case the OP is flying the new A380 on the Honolulu route, that is a much better seat for the situation as the middle partition can be lowered properly
Going LAX-NRT so not the new A380, unfortunately.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

Just for my own information, I ended up calling regarding children's meal in first class. Made me feel better the customer service representative had to take some time to find out if there is different children's meal for premium cabin. She told me there's not any difference in the children's meal between cabins and recommended that I don't order the child's meal as she is not sure if that will pre-empt her having the regular F meal.
Old Jun 5, 19, 6:11 am
Suspended

Check the ANA child traveller policy and you can confirm it from the Airlines also.
Old Jun 5, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Alaska Mileage Plan, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I believe your child's age should be specified in the booking. I've only traveled to Japan on my own, but ANA's booking tool lets you say how many passengers are 0-1, 2-11, 12-15 or older. ANA *does* let you pick out a child meal, but you have to take care of that in advance online or by phone. More info on their website.

They ought to have a version of the kids meal for F. If they don't, consult their website and figure out what they are serving that might work for your little one. Rice crackers or burgers or curry, for example. You can check out the full menu for your flight at the bottom of the page and see what you can mix or match among the light meal offerings. Since you're in F, I don't want to give the Y answer and say "well, just bring something."
Old Jun 5, 19, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Don't miss out on the variety of drinks on board for the little one. The kids sake tasting is truly a special treat!

*jokes*

Search this Thread