No more transit security at Narita from US?

Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

No more transit security at Narita from US?

I flew in on NH 1 from IAD - upon arrival following the signs for transit passengers immediately dumped us out into the main terminal area - no trek to security and back. I found some threads indicating there was a trial for this back in April - is this now standard operating procedure for all flights from the US?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I have not seen an announcement that it has become permanent yet. How long was the trial period meant to be?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:30 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
It started on 13 May for passengers arriving on 17 flights operated by 8 airlines (JL, NH, DL, UA, AA, HA, SQ, KE). It will be gradually extended to cover all 50 or so flights arriving from the US.

Also discussed in the Japan forum:
No more transfer security at NRT for pax ex-US connecting to international flights
Spiff, Kacee and seigex like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby
I can confirm that I took NH1 (IAD-NRT) yesterday and there was no transit security upon arrival into Narita.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by lipoff
I can confirm that I took NH1 (IAD-NRT) yesterday and there was no transit security upon arrival into Narita.
Any update on this? Anyone have a sense of whether the same routes from the US continue to be able to avoid security for transit pax or if the routes have been expanded/changed?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by sonetsst
Any update on this? Anyone have a sense of whether the same routes from the US continue to be able to avoid security for transit pax or if the routes have been expanded/changed?
I recall seeing somewhere that they had completely eliminated it for flights inbound from the United States - but can't recall where I saw that.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know any official announcements, and I'm also unsure how the bus gates are assigned, but as far as I can tell if you arrive at a proper gate there is no transit security. Arrivals and transfers self sort.

Are you interested in a particular route?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by fumje
I don't know any official announcements, and I'm also unsure how the bus gates are assigned, but as far as I can tell if you arrive at a proper gate there is no transit security. Arrivals and transfers self sort.

Are you interested in a particular route?
IAD-NRT (NH1). I’ve seen the report up thread for no security on this route, but have no sense if that’s the new norm.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAD-NRT (NH1). I’ve seen the report up thread for no security on this route, but have no sense if that’s the new norm.
I took UA803 IAD-NRT a week ago and no transit security; same thing for UA 837 SFO-NRT previously. It looks like NH1 consistently gets a proper gate rather than bus, so I would expect the same for it.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:01 am

Thanks for the recent report. I'll follow up for posterity after my flight.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:28 pm

This summer, my UA803 (iad-nrt) had no transit security

This month, my UA79 (ewr-nrt) had transit security. The gold track lane led to the newer scanners (which is atypical?)
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:57 am

NH1 on 10/16 had no security. I could walk directly into Terminal 1 for a connecting flight.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA
NH 9 11/2 had to go through security. It was a hot mess.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Any reports if NH 5 from LAX has had no transit security? Taking that flight early in December. No security would be awesome!
seigex likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Any reports if NH 5 from LAX has had no transit security? Taking that flight early in December. No security would be awesome!
Me too, I'll be on NH5 on Christmas Eve and transiting through Narita to TPE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.