Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more transit security at Narita from US?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Flew UA EWR to NRT connecting to NH to KUL. I was very surprised when I was dumped out right into main terminal at NRT. Holy efficiency batman.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, IHG Spire Elite
Smile Connecting Flights in NRT No Longer Require Additional TSA Check?

So doing a flight from SJC->NRT then NRT->PVG and I usually have to go through this additional TSA check before going into the terminal gate area. For the first time, right when I landed, our group was led directly to the terminal gate areas.

Just to make sure, I went to the ANA connecting flights kiosk to make sure my flight was still good just in case they deny me of not having a security check. The ground staff confirmed that starting this year for 2020, connecting flights will no longer need that additional TSA check which is awesome!

This may not only be specific to ANA, but just wondering if anyone has any official news regarding this? It's honestly great to not have to wait in long lines just for connecting flights. Does this only apply to NRT? How about all other airports in JP?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:44 am

No more transit security at Narita from US?

Only certain flights from USA to Narita from certain airlines, and not always on those flights

They may have expanded to more flights (or made it permanent on the original flights above) , but don't see any news releases recently on it
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:31 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
According to this document (only available in Japanese) from Narita International Airport Corporation (NAA), passengers arriving in NRT on all 48 flights from the US no longer need to go through transfer security.

TSA is an agency of the US Dept of Homeland Security and does not operate in Japan or any country outside the US.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Of all the contributions of the US to life in Japan, I don't think that TSA is one of them.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, IHG Spire Elite
Just flew into NRT from PVG for a transit to SJC. Crossed my fingers there would be no TSA such as my flight from US. Oh well
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kevin2dx
Just flew into NRT from PVG for a transit to SJC. Crossed my fingers there would be no TSA such as my flight from US. Oh well
I am 100% sure that there was no TSA activities in NRT. None whatsoever.

But yes, arrivals from the US are the only ones exempted from a transit security.

I guess the Japanese authorities got tired complaining to the US about guns caugtt in transit security, and thought it was more educational for people to be caught when checking in from China Thailand or Singapore.
Joking aside, I did find it quite interesting that the initial test of this came shortly after the Japanese authorities had sent formal complaints to the US that passengers from the US had carried guns through TSA check points, and were caught with them when transiting in Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.