Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Overnight domestic connection at Haneda - checked baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 4:20 am
Original Poster

I am thinking about booking a domestic ticket with an overnight connection at Haneda, arriving midday and leaving early next morning in order to grab dinner in town.

If I have a checked bag, can I check it through to the final destination or do I need to retrieve it at HND on arrival and re-check it the next morning?

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Domestic to Domestic, or Domestic to International.

The former will cause a need to pick up luggage, where as the latter should not.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: CX Macro Polo Club
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Domestic to Domestic, or Domestic to International.

The former will cause a need to pick up luggage, where as the latter should not.
Day 1, I was on WKJ-HND at 12noon, connecting to HND-HKG at 9am on Day 2.

At WKJ, ANA refused to check my luggage to HKG.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by objective

Day 1, I was on WKJ-HND at 12noon, connecting to HND-HKG at 9am on Day 2.

At WKJ, ANA refused to check my luggage to HKG.
Did you go to the counter for international connections? If yes, then colour me surprised?

If yes, were you on one ticket and what airline were you taking to Hong Kong?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: ANA Diamond+SFC+1MM (NH*G), Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Penn Club of NY
Were these two separate bookings or in the same itinerary?

If in the same itinerary, I +1 CPH-Flyer and also would surprised.

I recently booked an itinerary that has a ~28 hour connection at NRT. During booking, I received a prompt that overnight transit requires me to leave the airport and re-enter. But your is less than 24 hours... strange!

Is HND technically not 24 hours like SIN? If so, maybe they aren't holding luggage for security measures. Anyone with add'l color, please let us know!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: CX Macro Polo Club
Yes, these flights are on the same booking - WKJ-HND, HND-HKG.

WKJ is a small airport and has only 8 schedules flights daily. So it only has 2 ANA counters handling check-in. I insisted "through check-in" but a supervisor came out from the office and turned me down.

Maybe in bigger airport e.g. Sapporo they would allow through check-in. I don't know.

HND domestic terminal is not 24 hours and is physically separated from the int'l terminal. I ended up carried the two big luggages to a nearby transit hotel and continued my way to downtown for shopping...
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it may have been connected to the size of the operations in the originating airport.

While the domestic terminal is indeed not 24 hour operation, as soon as the inbound plane arrives at Haneda the luggage would be moved to the international terminal, which is a 24 hour operating terminal, so it should have been possible.
​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.