Booking ANA with other carrier's miles

Old Apr 25, 19, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Booking ANA with other carrier's miles

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I'd thought I'd start here first. I have a bunch of miles with Chase Ultimate Rewards. I want to use them to purchase tix from SFO to Tokyo (either NRT or HND) on ANA. The options that I know of are to transfer my miles from Chase to either United or Singapore (since these two are in Star Alliance w/ ANA and are also Chase transfer partners). I've done it with UA in the past and it was a great savings (75K miles round trip on ANA, whereas the cash price for that same ticket was ~$1600). For this reason I'm not interested in book ANA via Chase as I'm sure their price wouldn't come close to the savings I'd get by booking with miles through a transfer partner. I did not know at the time that Singapore was also a Chase transfer partner. So knowing this now, I'd like to know whether it's better to book ANA through UA or through Singapore, whether one airline has more availability than the other.

Thanks in advance for your help fellow travelers!
Old Apr 25, 19, 11:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
ANA direct has the best availability as they open up to their own members 355 days before and United is 330 (if I remember correctly).
ANA cost are in business very good 75-90k roundtrip (and only round trips allowed). You can add a domestic leg for free i.e. US > Tokyo and back Osaka > Tokyo > US for no increase in points (economy only but it is a 1h flight). And you can change the flight for free. Ticket valid 1 year from issuing and return has to be inside 1 year from the outbound. If the return leg isn't open book the outbound and any return flight (same class and airports) and then change it to the return date without any charge.
United has less availability but you can book one way only.
Or look into Virgin Atlantic 120k points for a First roundtrip ....

OK forget about ANA as you can't transfer them to ANA (was thinking MR)
https://upgradedpoints.com/best-ways...usiness-class/

Last edited by blitzen; Apr 25, 19 at 11:36 am

Search this Thread