FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   ANA Plane Spotted at MSP (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1965397-ana-plane-spotted-msp.html)

UnitedFTW Apr 14, 2019 4:42 pm

ANA Plane Spotted at MSP

Drove by MSP earlier today and noticed an ANA plane parked on the tarmac at MSP. Any idea what it was for?

MSPeconomist Apr 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Wow. Are there obvious routes where this would be a diversion? TYO-ORD/JFK/BOS/IAD and vv would go pretty far north on some days and could naturally overfly MSP, so it would be a natural spot for a medical or mechanical diversion.

ORD has bad weather today, so that would be my guess....or they were bound for ORD and didn't have enough fuel for the holding pattern, so they were forced to divert somewhere that could handle a widebody aircraft.

Did you notice the aircraft type? That might help to pin it down, perhaps using flightaware or similar.

Parking on the tarmac would seem to indicate a mechanical problem or a diversion expected to be long, so probably not medical or refueling unless it caused the crew to time out.

As you probably know, UA would be the *A partner here and they don't have a large operation, although there is a small UA lounge. They'd be strained to find staff to rebook everyone and find hotels etc. in reasonable time.

ADDED: I was curious and decided to try to find out what happened. It was easy, using the ANA website's flight status and flightaware, although I can't find aircraft type or whether (conclusively) they're still on the ground at MSP.

It was NH 12, scheduled for NRT 17:10 to ORD 14:55 on April 14, actual departure 17:37 with revised ETA of 15:49. They diverted due to weather snow and strong wind at ORD) and are currently scheduled to depart MSP at 17:00 and arrive ORD at 18:20, but it's already 18:15 in MSP. No gate assignments are shown, so it looks like they just parked on the tarmac and probably took on more fuel, at least to top up their reserve.

UnitedFTW Apr 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Yeah just checked Twitter and looks like it diverted along with an Air India and China Eastern plane. I actually noticed those two planes as well, it was parked behind the ANA plane so I didn't know they belonged to Air India and China Eastern, but the paint job was definately not a familiar site at MSP!

Was really hoping ANA would come to MSP, that would be awesome, but wouldn't make much sense with Delta... well one could dream

FYI, drove by earlier today around 5PM. It was difficult focusing on driving while get star strucked by this marvelous siting at MSP lol

MSPeconomist Apr 14, 2019 7:03 pm

According to flightaware, the ANA plane departed MSP at 6:33 pm and landed at ORD at 7:49 pm.

ORD is currently experiencing inbound delays over four and a half hours.