Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

First F flight on Thursday (ANA, JFK-NRT), tips needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

A few questions with this flight only a few days away. We flew JAL premium economy in '17 and had only a taste of what the F experience would entail. We are flying NH009 from JFK to Haneda Narita, departs 10:45 hours.

For starters, we'll change into our "flight suit" (pajamas) before departure - but where do you change?! In the bathroom?

- What to expect upon our arrival at JFK? (The lounge is via Air France.) Secret entryways?
- Any items that we should carry on to improve our experience?
- Should we skip breakfast before this flight?
- Any meals to avoid?
- Do they still have the in-flight beer kegs?

Can't wait.

Last edited by alheim; Feb 26, 2019 at 8:38 am Reason: Correction to flight destination
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:54 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I change after takeoff in case of a change of plans... You can change into the PJ's in the oversize lav on the left. There is a drop down pad to prevent stepping on the lav floor with your dirty shoes or slippers (provided).

There will be PLENTY of food starting 1 hour after departure.

There are no beer kegs!

YMMV but as a westerner, consider my wife's experience with the Japanese meal; avoid it. She ignored my advise.

There is a great snack menu for you to enjoy any time. Enjoy! I also add ice cream to my snack mid-flight. (usually the burger and ice cream)

Enjoy! The NH experience is very good!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by alheim
- Should we skip breakfast before this flight?
- Any meals to avoid?
- Do they still have the in-flight beer kegs?

@alheim

I'll assume you were not serious about in-flight beer kegs.

Not sure you scrolled down the first page of the ANA forum because there are 2 threads that would give you an idea about ANA F

This thread has a fantastic series of menus and photos, with both Japanese and Western meal offerings. The ANA website has the current menu.

F Menu and Meals

For this thread, you can read the wiki at the top of the pages and also scroll back at least 6 months to a year. You will also see photos of the cabin and suites/seats plus at least one trip report.

First Class ("First Square") seating and service thread [consolidated]
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:01 am

A few questions with this flight only a few days away. We flew JAL premium economy in '17 and had only a taste of what the F experience would entail. We are flying NH009 from JFK to Haneda, departs 10:45 hours.
NH 9 departing from JFK at 10:45 am lands at NARITA (NRT) not Haneda (HND). The ANA flight from JFK to HND leaves much later in the day.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
- What to expect upon our arrival at JFK? (The lounge is via Air France.) Secret entryways?
NH uses the BA F lounge in JFK (the AF lounge is in T1, NH departs from T7). Nothing spectacular unfortunately and definitely no secret entryways.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99
You can change into the PJ's in the oversize lav on the left. There is a drop down pad to prevent stepping on the lav floor with your dirty shoes or slippers (provided).

There will be PLENTY of food starting 1 hour after departure.
Got it, thanks.

Originally Posted by roberto99
I also add ice cream to my snack mid-flight. (usually the burger and ice cream)
Great tip! @roberto99

Originally Posted by 24left
I'll assume you were not serious about in-flight beer kegs.
Serious. ANA offers, or at least offered in the past, draft beer in flight. They used dry ice instead of pressurized gas to serve the beer from the keg. A brief Google reveals that it was on domestic and/or short flights only. Thank you for the other links by the way @24left

FT does not let share URL's until they have at least 5 posts, but Japan Today had an article about it, as do others, search "ana-becomes-1st-airline-to-make-draft-beer-available-in-flight"

Originally Posted by Burj
NH 9 departing from JFK at 10:45 am lands at NARITA (NRT) not Haneda (HND). The ANA flight from JFK to HND leaves much later in the day.
You are correct, thanks @Burj - updated.

Last edited by alheim; Feb 26, 2019 at 8:39 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:18 am
Suspended

.....You are correct, thanks @Burj - updated.
You need to alert the mod in order the change the thread title/ subject line
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
Review the threads that @24left mentioned and you will have all the information on food/beverage.

It shouldn't be overlooked by the FAs, but make sure you get the Fast Lane immigration passes. Can save significant time at customs.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grapenut
It shouldn't be overlooked by the FAs, but make sure you get the Fast Lane immigration passes. Can save significant time at customs.
Great, thanks for this tip
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:36 pm

Review the threads that @24left mentioned and you will have all the information on food/beverage.

Fast lane immigration passes? At narita or hnd? I've flown into both ANA F several times but I've yet to receive this pass. Can others confirm this is a common thing?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
Originally Posted by hooni212
Fast lane immigration passes? At narita or hnd? I've flown into both ANA F several times but I've yet to receive this pass. Can others confirm this is a common thing?
It has been available since 2016 at NRT and KIX and I have received the pass on all F flights since then. The thread below has some more detail.

NRT and KIX to introduce fast lanes for immigration
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hooni212
Yes I can. NRT. I'm holding one now. I don't need it as I have APEC.

And to add some info - I was in J on AC.

It has been available since 2016 at NRT and KIX and I have received the pass on all F flights since then. The thread below has some more detail.

NRT and KIX to introduce fast lanes for immigration
Exactly, and I had the early version of those passes on my multiple trips the spring and summer of 2017.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Update from 36,000'

A quick update for the FT crew. We are currently at 36,000', just beyond the Bering Sea, 3.5 hours until Tokyo. What an excellent flight!

Thank you @bmoeller1 for picking up the slack while I am away.

splicer100 likes this.

Last edited by alheim; Feb 28, 2019 at 7:05 pm Reason: Correction
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:33 am
Suspended

A quick update for the FT crew. We are currently at 36,000', just beyond the Bering Sea, 3.5 hours until Tokyo. What an excellent flight!

Thank you @bmoeller1 for picking up the slack while I am away.

@alheim
Thanks for the post, lol. Glad to see you are enjoying yourself. Don't forget to post photos in the meals' thread

And yes, I've been doing that photo and variations for a while

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29409301-post1974.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.