Search

Question regarding Star Gold and ANA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Question regarding Star Gold and ANA

Hi folks,

I'm Gold Status with United and am curious if I book with ANA do they honor Star Gold status and if so, what does it provide? With United, I get automatic Economy Plus seating, free checked baggage and domestically, put on the upgrade list (although they rarely come through).

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by lianluo
Hi folks,

I'm Gold Status with United and am curious if I book with ANA do they honor Star Gold status and if so, what does it provide? With United, I get automatic Economy Plus seating, free checked baggage and domestically, put on the upgrade list (although they rarely come through).

Thanks in advance
Of course ANA respects Star Gold benefits.

ANA does not have an equivalent to economy plus seating, they do have some seats like emergency exits blocked for elites and you get access to select these at time of booking.
Since ANA don't nickel and dime their passengers on luggage, there is always free luggage included in their fares. But you do get an extra piece of checked luggage.
ANA does not have upgrade lists as you know them from United, expect to fly in the cabin you booked. Op-ups are exceedingly rare for Star Gold.
You do get lounge access on domestic only itineraries in Japan. And on international flights of course
You get fast track security where available.

That's about it.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You get fast track security where available.
Really? I'm *G via OZ and I never get fast-track security at HND when flying ANA, even when flying in international business class. I had another trip last month (again in int'l J) and when I was checking in I even verbally confirmed, and they apologized that I was not eligible for fast track security. Of course, the line at the HND international terminal is like 5 people long so it only takes like two minutes anyway...
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by slimjin
Really? I'm *G via OZ and I never get fast-track security at HND when flying ANA, even when flying in international business class. I had another trip last month (again in int'l J) and when I was checking in I even verbally confirmed, and they apologized that I was not eligible for fast track security. Of course, the line at the HND international terminal is like 5 people long so it only takes like two minutes anyway...
*G on NH gets fast track at NRT but not at HND
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply. I was wondering about seating and you answered that! I've been debating on whether to book a flight from the US to NRT on UA or NH and though I want to fly ANA (much better customer service IMO), I really like having access to Economy Plus for a 10-13 hour flight. Thoughts?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thank you so much for your reply. I was wondering about seating and you answered that! I've been debating on whether to book a flight from the US to NRT on UA or NH and though I want to fly ANA (much better customer service IMO), I really like having access to Economy Plus for a 10-13 hour flight. Thoughts?
The standard seating on 77W NH has 34" pitch, and I think this applies to the long haul 787 as well but I need to refresh my mind on that one. So the standard NH seating is far better than the standard UA seating. Some of the 77W still operate in a 2-4-3 configuration though the down side to the wider seat is that it is a shell seat.

All that being said, I would take NH over UA any day.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The point of "where available" HND fast track is offered by the airport, and they have a pretty strict set of rules that airline and frequent flyerstatus programme have to be the same. The only airline I know getting around this is AA where they stamp fast track manually on non AA frequent flyers that they are still giving access

I guess you have never been at Haneda for a late night flights, going through security around 11pm i have seen lines stretching out to the middle of the check in counters.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you CPH, exactly the kind of info I am seeking. I appreciate the advice.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you CPH, exactly the kind of info I am seeking. I appreciate the advice.
You are welcome.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by truncated
*G on NH gets fast track at NRT but not at HND
Question regarding fast track.

Family of 3 are travelling through NRT to CTS. All 3 are IAH-NRT in F but connecting in Y (award ticket). I'm *g, does the other 2 members get fastrack?
Also whether I'm gold or not, do they get fast track for inbound F?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by TennisNoob

Family of 3 are travelling through NRT to CTS. All 3 are IAH-NRT in F but connecting in Y (award ticket). I'm *g, does the other 2 members get fastrack?
Hmm can't quite answer that — have never connected I-to-D at NRT, and only ever travel solo. Fast track at NRT = *A Gold Track which is definitely at international departure and transfer security, but not sure if domestic security has a gold track lane as well.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All inbound F passengers gets immigration fast track. There is not *G immigration fast track.

I can't remember if there is a fast track in Narita domestic, I doubt it. But that would be 1 guest only.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.

the fast track doesn’t apply to your case.
NRT doesn’t have a fast track for domestic departures.
you would of course need to clear immigration upon landing from IAH (no immigration fast track!), then go to domestic departures.
on the way back from CTS, there is fast track for golds and premium class passengers. They’d waive for your whole family (can’t ask the kids not to come with you, right?)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
the Haneda international departures fast track is not a *A gold track (for all golds), but for each individual FFP elites that’s allowed (likely contracts between the respective airlines and HND management)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by truncated
Hmm can't quite answer that — have never connected I-to-D at NRT, and only ever travel solo. Fast track at NRT = *A Gold Track which is definitely at international departure and transfer security, but not sure if domestic security has a gold track lane as well.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
All inbound F passengers gets immigration fast track. There is not *G immigration fast track.

I can't remember if there is a fast track in Narita domestic, I doubt it. But that would be 1 guest only.
Wasn't aware of immigration fast track but I do have APEC so it works fine for me.

Actually NRT domestic fast track is very useful because you get mixed with the Peach flight which can be full. 10 min. for domestic security but it could be 30 min. if you don't have fast track. They let me through last time I think after the two people communicated in Japanese mentioning I'd miss my flight without fast track.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.