New (Kabuki-Themed) Safety Video

Old Feb 7, 19, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
New (Kabuki-Themed) Safety Video

On youtube but haven't flown NH in a while so not sure if it's on planes as well:

Personally thought the old video was very overdue for a refresh but not sure how I feel about this one...
Old Feb 7, 19, 8:51 pm

Programs: ANA (Platinum, SFC) *G, JAL (JALCARD), IHG Platinum Elite
Yes it is on the planes.

I personally don't like it. This is 100% made to appeal to their Japanese audience than to foreigners.
Old Feb 7, 19, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by truncated View Post
On youtube but haven't flown NH in a while so not sure if it's on planes as well:
Personally thought the old video was very overdue for a refresh but not sure how I feel about this one...
I love it. I prefer real people to cartoon characters in safety videos. It is unique and perhaps enough to get the attention of pax - at least the first couple of times. Great costumes and such. Based on recent history, many prefer to film their evacuation than run fast and far.

Originally Posted by sodaisei View Post
....This is 100% made to appeal to their Japanese audience than to foreigners.
​​​​​​​Maybe that's the objective.
Old Feb 7, 19, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
I love it. I prefer real people to cartoon characters in safety videos. It is unique and perhaps enough to get the attention of pax - at least the first couple of times. Great costumes and such. Based on recent history, many prefer to film their evacuation than run fast and far.
Agreed that the costumes and overall execution is really good, and welcome the inclusion of the message to not film during an evacuation (which really every airline should include by now).

However have pretty mixed feelings about all these "gimmicky" safety videos (e.g., can't stand UA's) — they're (usually) cool the first few times around but grow tired very quickly. Just give me something professional and quick and I'm more than happy. Interestingly they've kept most of the wording and are using the same narrators as the old video so I guess if I keep my eyes closed during the briefing and just listen to the audio it doesn't sound too different
Old Feb 8, 19, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by truncated View Post
Agreed that the costumes and overall execution is really good, and welcome the inclusion of the message to not film during an evacuation (which really every airline should include by now).

However have pretty mixed feelings about all these "gimmicky" safety videos (e.g., can't stand UA's) they're (usually) cool the first few times around but grow tired very quickly. Just give me something professional and quick and I'm more than happy. Interestingly they've kept most of the wording and are using the same narrators as the old video so I guess if I keep my eyes closed during the briefing and just listen to the audio it doesn't sound too different
The US3 have absolutely horrible videos. AC has the beaver, bagels, hockey helmet and mukluks in the OH bin plus the politically correct-looking pax. I enjoyed the Adrian Grenier NZ video (well the penguins).

I work in a business where visual elements matter and as we know, humans these days are easily distracted by pings and other noises, so I think for now, ANA has a great piece of creative to capture some attention for a while. Plus it's elegant and not gimmicky. IMHO
Unimatrix One likes this.
Old Feb 8, 19, 4:47 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
As the new generation of safety videos that are supposed to be equal parts entertainment and information goes, this is IMHO one of the better ones. It is still reasonably no nonsense

BA and their famous people auditioning for the safety videos are some of the really bad examples, QR did some FC Barcelona ones that were horrid as well. One of my main complaints is that they become too long, secondly too gimmicky.

I don't see why this one would be aimed at Japanese audiences, I kind of see it more as gaijinmuke.
Old Feb 8, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Silver (working on Gold), Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Nicely done IMO. It's humorous but in a subdued and surreal way, just enough to get your attention. I like the ukiyo-e style evacuation scenes.
Old Feb 9, 19, 1:11 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
I personally love the new video, but I will miss the guy in the old video caught smoking in the lavatory. He always looked so pissed off.
royng and joejones like this.
Old Feb 9, 19, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Originally Posted by sodaisei View Post
I personally don't like it. This is 100% made to appeal to their Japanese audience than to foreigners.
I thought it was hilarious.

Signed,
A Foreigner
joejones likes this.
Old Feb 10, 19, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
Remastered version of Another Sky was done really well. It's much better!
royng likes this.
Old Feb 14, 19, 8:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I liked how the non-smoking demonstration featured opium pipes.
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
It's probably just because I flew ANA 6 times in the past like month...but OMG I never need to see this thing again lol. The music, the video...none of it.

I'm totally fine with it, but I guess like anything if you see it too often it really wears on you.
Old Mar 7, 19, 10:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: A3 *G, CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)
Watched it four times on my two-day trip of HKG-HND-ITM-HND-HKG...I kinda like it at the end.

The deplaning video showing the making of it with the ANA theme music "Another Sky" is even better.

Also, don't forget to watch the corporate video explaining the production concept: (hint: use YouTube auto-translate of caption)

Last edited by royng; Mar 13, 19 at 9:35 am
Old Mar 7, 19, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by royng View Post
Watched it four times on my two-day trip of HKG-HND-ITM-HND-HKG...I kinda like it at the end.

The deplaning video showing the making of it with the ANA theme music "Another Sky" is even better........
@royng

Oh wow, outstanding! Thanks so much for posting.
Old Mar 9, 19, 9:12 am

I love the new kabuki video!
it is very well done n very innovative.
good job NH!

Search this Thread