My 1st New Years in the Air

Old Jan 13, 19, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire Elite
Smile My 1st New Years in the Air

Hi All,

Kind of a late post, but still wanted to share. Apparently I was given a special soba menu since it was New Years and 3 of the cabin attendants wished me a happy new year . Can anyone confirm if this soba is usually not served? It was pretty good

Anyway I took this picture exactly at 12:01am Japanese New Years on NH172 when I left around 17:30 NRT. When I arrived in SJC around 9:15am, I still had pretty much the whole day to celebrate a 2nd new year on the ground. Pretty cool experience. I wonder if first class has a special menu as well? Anyway belated happy new year to all of you!

Old Jan 15, 19, 9:42 pm

Programs: ANA (Platinum, SFC) *G, JAL (JALCARD), IHG Platinum Elite
It is toshikoshi soba. A japanese tradition of eating soba noodles in new years.
Old Jan 16, 19, 6:25 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Toshikoshi soba is something Japanese traditionally eat on New Year’s Eve.

I once flew HND-FRA on New Year’s Day. The flight left HND at 1:10am (so the miles would credit in the new year!) and I was in the NH lounge in HND at midnight as the photo below proves. I did not have noodles in the lounge (which you can have anytime) but instead had o-zōni, a traditional Japanese new year soup with rice cake and vegetables.

On this flight (NH203) no full meal is served after takeoff but it took much longer than usual for an amuse-bouche to appear in business. Eventually we were served pieces of kazunoko (herring roe), gomame (small sardines) and red and white chorogi (pickled Chinese artichoke) which are all traditional Japanese osechi ryōri (new year food). It was a very nice touch.
Attached Images    
Old Jan 16, 19, 5:16 pm

Programs: ANA (Platinum, SFC) *G, JAL (JALCARD), IHG Platinum Elite
I love that special touch ANA gives
Old Jan 16, 19, 7:46 pm

Programs: ANA, JAL
I flew NH216 CDG-HND (and NRT before the switch) quite a few time leaving on December 31st early evening in Paris arriving Jan 1st in the afternoon in Japan. Never got anything special whether it is Y, PY or C. Actually, it is already January 1st Japan time when we board the plane so some flight attendant welcome you wishing you a Happy New Year (akemashite omedetou gozaimasu) even though it is still the 31st in Paris. Being over Russia for New Year kinda sucks

Search this Thread