Wiki Posts
Search

HND check-in following NRT HND transfer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton (D)
HND check-in following NRT HND transfer

Scheduled on 22:10 departure HND SYD. Self transfer from NRT by train, arriving HND by 16:00ish. Will ANA allow check in at T-6 hours? Would love to speed sightsee through TYO if possible.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:01 am

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/internat...nter/open.html

Ana hnd counter opens at 6:25. Check in anytime after that

What do you want to do/see in tokyo

I would suggest one of the two:
note that lockers may be occupied and you have to walk around hunting for an empty one. At major stations like Tokyo station/Shinjuku, there are manned luggage storage counters
https://tokyocheapo.com/living/lugga...rage-in-tokyo/
​​​​​​
A) less travel time/transfer
1) Narita express to Tokyo station, yamanote one stop to shinbashi, store luggage in lockers
2) subway/walk back to Ginza, explore department stores and depachikas
3) returnrto shinbashi, get souvenirs at don Quijote shinbashi
4) retrieve luggage, take direct train on asakusa line to hnd

B) travel time is longer
1) Narita express to Shinjukus/shibuya, store luggage there
2) explore Shinjuku/shibuya, there's don Quixote and department stores there too
3) retrieve luggage, go to hnd (need to transfer)

Hnd has rokurinsha/tsukemen, can skip the ramen street at Tokyo station

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 11, 2018 at 10:28 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
If you plan to arrive and check in at Haneda before heading back to southern Tokyo (Shinagawa area) for dinner, 6 hours lead time is doable. Nothing much to do airside or landslide at the airport.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Paper, thanks for the luggage storage suggestion. Now looking into inexpensive bus NRT to TYO station, and going from there. Time is of the essence in layovers. Desired destinations were Shibuya crossing or possible water bus Asakusa to Odaiba.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by etna
Paper, thanks for the luggage storage suggestion. Now looking into inexpensive bus NRT to TYO station, and going from there. Time is of the essence in layovers. Desired destinations were Shibuya crossing or possible water bus Asakusa to Odaiba.
From a time of day and duration perspective, I would say it is very unlikely to fit the water bus in.

If you are looking at the cheap bus to Tokyo Station, actually do Ginza station. Find somewhere to store your luggage there, and do Tokyo Station, Yurakucho, Marunouchi, and Ginza areas. You'll use too much time going from there to Haneda, and back to somewhere interesting and these areas have a lot of things to see and do
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:54 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I do NOT like navigating Tokyo Station. I would hate to do that on a first trip to Japan.

I would take the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno and store the bags there. Discount RT is 4300 yen. Ueno is my hood in Tokyo.

Skyliner Discount Ticket | Special Discount Tickets | KEISEI Electric Railway

If Ueno isn't your favorite destination, you can take the Yamanote line onward. Or take the Ginza line 4 stops to Asakusa. Or just walk to Asakusa from Ueno.

BTW, the Skyliner is faster and cheaper than the NEX.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I think Shibuya/Harajuku is a good area for a quick visit. 16:19 NEX departure from NRT arrives Shibuya at 17:39. Gives you ~2 hours to explore IMO. Leave for HND around 20:00 on the Yamamote line to Shinagawa for the Keikyu line to HND.

Exploring Ginza gives you more time but I think it's a less interesting area IMO.

Originally Posted by roberto99
I do NOT like navigating Tokyo Station.

BTW, the Skyliner is faster and cheaper than the NEX.
I agree Tokyo Station is a nightmare, but I disagree that the Skyliner is explicitly faster than the NEX because that depends on where you want to go in Tokyo. I prefer transferring at Shinagawa to/from the NEX.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:13 pm

well, last april on a sunday afternoon, took me 20+ min to find an empty large locker in Shibuya

some stations have a live map showing what lockers are available, some don't
Shinjuku: ?????
?????
Tokyo station: ?????

tokyo station isn't that bad - narita express arrives in the basement, OP'll either be looking for the green yamanote line or yaesu south exit towards ginza

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 13, 2018 at 6:23 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info I've come to expect from FT'ers. Consider this thread asked and answered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.