Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket - passenger passed away / died

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, SPG LT Plat,
Award ticket - passenger passed away / died

My stepmom used her AmEx points to redeem an ANA ticket. She took the outbound flight, but passed away during the trip. What happens to the second half of the ticket? Can we get the points (partial) refunded? Or can I switch the name of the passenger? Thanks for any experience that you guys have

sylaw72

Last edited by sylaw72; Dec 7, 2018 at 6:19 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
To clarify: Was this ticket paid with Amex points (basically cash) or Membership Rewards transferred to ANA and then Award ticket issued?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Hi, the ticketing is actually a bit more complicated still.
My dad transfered his Membership Reward points to his ANA account, which he used to redeem an ANA award ticket for an EVA Air flight.

Even though it’s their flight, EVA tells us that it’s up to ANA to decide what to do (if anything).

Thank
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
My condolences on the passing of your step mother.

It will then fall under the T&C's for an ANA award booking, and what they allow of cancellations and refunds. As a maximum it can go back to the ANA account
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
ANA miles and ANA ticket = ANA rules. the CoC (Conditions of Carriage) for ANA are as per this link (link).
The T&Cs for award flights refunds for ANA are as per this link (link2)

A partially used award ticket is non-refundable.
By the way, condolences on the bereavement. Under all the sadness involved, may I politely suggest you don't put too much emphasis on trying to get back the ANA miles? Your dad's account, meaning your dad will need to go through this whole process, and it might be something others like me wouldn't be chasing at this time.
========
(4) In the event of death of a Passenger en route, ANA may amend or modify the Ticket of a person accompanying the Passenger by, among other things, waiving the minimum stay requirement or extending the period of validity. In the event of death in the immediate family of a Passenger after he/she commences his/her travel, ANA may, also with respect to the Tickets of the Passenger or his/her immediate family accompanying the Passenger, waive the minimum stay requirement or extend the period of validity. Any such amendment or modification shall be subject to ANA's receipt of a proper death certificate and any such extension shall not exceed 45 Days after the date of death of the Passenger (excluding the date of death).

===
Customers who wish to request a mileage refund for an ANA partner airline award ticket may do so prior to the departure of the reserved flight only if all sectors have not been used.
====
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:04 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Since the ANA program only issues "round trip" award tickets (no one way tickets) it appears that there is no refund due.

I'm sorry to learn of her passing.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

thanks for everyone's condolences.

I am not looking for a refund,
My stepmom's ticket is in business class, while my dad, who is on the same flight, it's in economy,
so I was just hoping that ANA would let him use my stepmon's return ticket, and let him extend his own ticket for future use.

Thanks for all of the helpful inputs. I will call ANA with him today, and hope for the best.

sylaw72
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sad story... Condolences

Certainly curious though that they were travelling in separate classes. I rather doubt that ANA can change the name on a partner airline's ticket.

If the body is being repatriated on the same flight, perhaps the best idea is to write off the miles and just explain the situation at the airport and perhaps the air crew will let your dad use the obviously empty J seat.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Update

hi everyone, want to give an update to the situation.
ANA was very friendly, as soon as we described the situation, they said that they can give a refund of the miles to my dad’s account. As the ticket was issued in the US, he will have to have the US office process the refund. So when my dad goes back home after next week, he will do it there.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Sylaw72
LapLap and Taoyuan like this.

Last edited by sylaw72; Dec 13, 2018 at 7:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.