First time post RTW on AMex points/ANAk

Old Nov 20, 18, 1:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: ANA
Posts: 5
First time post RTW on AMex points/ANAk

Would love some help with fwg award itinerary
FRA SIN PER// SYD TYO // OSA SFO MIA FRA
Dikama is offline  
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:52 pm
  #2  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Central Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by Dikama View Post
Would love some help with fwg award itinerary
FRA SIN PER// SYD TYO // OSA SFO MIA FRA
Dikama,

Do you have a time of year this would be for or specific dates you need to work with? How many people? Business Class or is economy ok? Also can you flip flop and do SYD OSA // TKO SFO....
john c wisconsin is offline  
Old Nov 20, 18, 2:29 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: ANA
Posts: 5
Thanks for quick reply. Yes, time of year is end of February 2019, with all the stops on the way getting back around end of April 2019.
it is just one person in Biz Class. If that time frame does not work, then I could try October/ December 2019.
Dikama is offline  
Old Nov 20, 18, 2:31 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: ANA
Posts: 5
Yes, flip flop ok, no problem TYO OSA or von fine. Also PER SYD will be surface.
Dikama is offline  
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:07 pm
  #5  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Central Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by Dikama View Post
Thanks for quick reply. Yes, time of year is end of February 2019, with all the stops on the way getting back around end of April 2019.
it is just one person in Biz Class. If that time frame does not work, then I could try October/ December 2019.
Ok, I did some quick searches. Here are a few thoughts about my approach and what I found:
- I searched mostly Tuesdays and Wednesdays as they seem to have the best general availability
- Domestic United flights are either very slim pickings or do not show up on the ANA award site and the expert flier searches. I can find some economy but getting from SFO area to MIA area was a complete bust on united business. I tried all logical cities around SFO and MIA. I also tried manually piecing it through several cities like Houston, Dallas, Vegas, Phoenix with no luck. Maybe more seats open closer to the dates. I would suggest separate ticket from SFO to MIA, more on that in a sec.
- Easter in 2019 is late, April 21st. In America that means half the high schools and a lot of the colleges will base their spring break school outage on the week going into Easter. I am not sure you will get the same experience in Miami and Florida you would at other times. Personally I would stay clear from April 13th - 21st to avoid inflated hotel prices and spring break crowds
- The routes and dates I picked put you at 25,239 miles. That is without a flight from SFO to MIA. If we can trim off a few miles (like last leg VIA-FRA) you will hit the lower tier of points and go from needing 170,000 miles to 145,000 miles. I suspect with all the US carriers you can find some other way to use this 25,000 miles and/or cash for that SFO-MIA leg and I am sure you can get a hopper flight from VIA to FRA very inexpensively.
- There are some surcharges but when they apply they are not too bad. $180 for the FRA-SIN leg is the worst.

Here is the routes and dates along with flight info I came up with:


Here is the great circle map of the trip:
gpy likes this.
john c wisconsin is offline  
Old Nov 20, 18, 10:08 pm
  #6  
gpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by john c wisconsin View Post
Ok, I did some quick searches. Here are a few thoughts about my approach and what I found:
- I searched mostly Tuesdays and Wednesdays as they seem to have the best general availability
- Domestic United flights are either very slim pickings or do not show up on the ANA award site and the expert flier searches. I can find some economy but getting from SFO area to MIA area was a complete bust on united business. I tried all logical cities around SFO and MIA. I also tried manually piecing it through several cities like Houston, Dallas, Vegas, Phoenix with no luck. Maybe more seats open closer to the dates. I would suggest separate ticket from SFO to MIA, more on that in a sec.
- Easter in 2019 is late, April 21st. In America that means half the high schools and a lot of the colleges will base their spring break school outage on the week going into Easter. I am not sure you will get the same experience in Miami and Florida you would at other times. Personally I would stay clear from April 13th - 21st to avoid inflated hotel prices and spring break crowds
- The routes and dates I picked put you at 25,239 miles. That is without a flight from SFO to MIA. If we can trim off a few miles (like last leg VIA-FRA) you will hit the lower tier of points and go from needing 170,000 miles to 145,000 miles. I suspect with all the US carriers you can find some other way to use this 25,000 miles and/or cash for that SFO-MIA leg and I am sure you can get a hopper flight from VIA to FRA very inexpensively.
- There are some surcharges but when they apply they are not too bad. $180 for the FRA-SIN leg is the worst.

Here is the routes and dates along with flight info I came up with:


Here is the great circle map of the trip:
Impressive! I may need to hire you to help me plan my RTW.
john c wisconsin likes this.
gpy is offline  
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:48 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: ANA
Posts: 5
John, I am overwhelmed with your kind reply giving such detail. Wonderful. I shall follow your direction.
do I call ANA and let them try and book, and then transfer the necessary mileage? Or mileage first, then book?
thanks again for pointing out how to save some miles and get to the lower stage. Something to think about indeed.
sending you good wishes for a veryHappy Thanksgiving.
marits
Dikama is offline  
Old Nov 22, 18, 1:34 am
  #8  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Central Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by Dikama View Post
John, I am overwhelmed with your kind reply giving such detail. Wonderful. I shall follow your direction.
do I call ANA and let them try and book, and then transfer the necessary mileage? Or mileage first, then book?
thanks again for pointing out how to save some miles and get to the lower stage. Something to think about indeed.
sending you good wishes for a veryHappy Thanksgiving.
marits
Dikama,
Happy to assist. You want to get all the points transferred before you call. If it is Amex and you have the points ready to go I think the transfer takes about a day to show up and you can do it online.

If you are purchasing some extra points Call AMEX and remember they will make you transfer all the points you have including "pending" points on your account before you can buy more at $.025 each. They work in 1,000 point increments when transferring

I double checked that on 4/16 you can get just the MIA to VIE flight (no FRA) and it did come up as available.

Once you transfer points you call ANA directly. From my vast experience of doing this ONCE, the agent will want your route one segment at a time using 3 letter codes then the airline then date. After your trip is booked and confirmed you can:
- cancel (get all your points redeposited to ANA account)
- re-book a new trip with different routes and airlines (cost I think 3,000 points). No one knows how to insure some segments you already have will be there on an entire re-book.
- change dates on any of the segments as long as you stay on the same airline and route. So you can take a morning flight number rather then an evening on same day if you needed but it would have to be exact same route and airline and of course available.

One error on my spreadsheet there would NOT be a second fuel service charge from Austrian airlines for the short hop from VIE to FRA like is listed.

Total extra fees are a trick to get exact until you are on the phone with the agent. I ran your it itinerary through Star Alliance around the world booking engine. On the detail charges below you will see a couple things. First the full retail value if you booked it through this method was $10,552 so when you tell your friends how much of a value you got for your points use this number If I take their total detailed charges and subtract the first line they label airline insurance you are looking at about $371 of airport fees and taxes. Add back in the amount ANA will charge for airline surcharges on our worksheet ($441) and I think your out of pocket should be around $800. If you log into the star alliance round the world site HERE use the ref code 9224-106E-81F3-1462 and all this should load up for you.

So for $800 and 145,000 points you will have a business class trip of 25,000 miles and all you need is to add a SFO-MIA and a VIE-FRA separate. Seems like a good deal to me. Good Luck. John



Details:



Last edited by john c wisconsin; Nov 22, 18 at 2:55 am Reason: typo
john c wisconsin is offline  
Old Nov 23, 18, 10:52 am
  #9  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Central Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 84
DIKAMA,

One last thing. I had not posted the availability by day. If you go by the dates across the top the columns where I have a 1 show that day is available for 1 business class ticket. 0 of course means it was not. Using expert flier web site's award search I went a few days before and after our target dates. So if you want to adjust the days you are flying they should be able to do any of those days. On a couple noted days (in red and blue) there were flights available but different flights/numbers

John


Last edited by john c wisconsin; Nov 23, 18 at 10:53 am Reason: typo
john c wisconsin is offline  
Old Nov 24, 18, 1:54 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: ANA
Posts: 5
Sorry for delay in getting back to, John. Thank you once again for your thorough research and expert help.
Dikama is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread