Cockpit Visits on ANA

Old Oct 9, 18, 10:03 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,430
Cockpit Visits on ANA

Some friends and I have an upcoming flight on ANA, and we're wondering if the cabin crew would allow us to visit the cockpit before departure. I've been curious to see the 787's flight deck, so I'd very much appreciate a visit. I've heard that Japanese airlines don't allow this sort of thing, so I wanted to make sure first. Would it be worth it to talk to the purser or another member of the cabin crew about this?
brewdog11 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 18, 12:44 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Posts: 6,549
You'll probably have a better chance asking during flight about a visit upon landing when the flight crew will be not occupied with preflight operations and seen as less of a potential security risk.

Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
Some friends and I have an upcoming flight on ANA, and we're wondering if the cabin crew would allow us to visit the cockpit before departure. I've been curious to see the 787's flight deck, so I'd very much appreciate a visit. I've heard that Japanese airlines don't allow this sort of thing, so I wanted to make sure first. Would it be worth it to talk to the purser or another member of the cabin crew about this?
brewdog11 and trooper like this.
Yoshi212 is online now  
Old Oct 10, 18, 10:13 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SJO - MAN - LAX
Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
You'll probably have a better chance asking during flight about a visit upon landing when the flight crew will be not occupied with preflight operations and seen as less of a potential security risk.
This. You're more likely to get it at landing, ask in the air. I once visited a 767 flight deck on ANA and they were nice. You're also bound to get a better experience from the crew in the front if you do it after landing, during boarding they'll be busy and might not even be courteous or pay attention.

I always ask nicely and explain the reasons why and that I'm a CPL but only fly turbo props etc. I was once allowed into an AV A330 flight deck in cruise and allowed to stay for landing and on a DL flight back in 2005 was allowed in the cockpit of a 764 and even allowed to enter things into the FMC during boarding. Genuine great experience.
brewdog11 likes this.
Redwood839 is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 10:20 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,430
Thanks for the replies. I'll ask before landing -- I'm really interested in checking it out!
brewdog11 is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 5:17 pm
  #5  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,589
I do miss the days where it was quite common to be able to visit the cockpit during the flight It could be very interesting. I understand the many reasons why this is in the past, but that does not make it less of a lost experience.
Yoshi212 likes this.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Oct 11, 18, 7:39 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
Most likely they won't allow you to visit the cockpit because ANA has policies in place that state before boarding the cockpit door must remain closed.
A lot of my friends work for ANA and they are always so surprised to fly a non Japanese carrier because they can see into the cockpit.... But good luck.
Travelin_the_world is offline  
Old Oct 14, 18, 4:56 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky/Japan
Programs: UAL 1k
Posts: 57
We are not allowed to have visits either before or after the flight. The door must be closed when passengers are on board. It is a terrible rule in my opinion. When I was flying in the US I loved to have people come visit any time on the ground. I really wish we could do that here. Sorry.
jrmyl is offline  
Old Oct 14, 18, 5:52 pm
  #8  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,589
Originally Posted by jrmyl View Post
We are not allowed to have visits either before or after the flight. The door must be closed when passengers are on board. It is a terrible rule in my opinion. When I was flying in the US I loved to have people come visit any time on the ground. I really wish we could do that here. Sorry.
Is that an ANA rule, or a general rule for airlines in Japan? I don't recall ever seeing the door open on a JAL flight on the ground, though quite often you will not pass a route that would allow you to see that anyway.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:13 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Is that an ANA rule, or a general rule for airlines in Japan? I don't recall ever seeing the door open on a JAL flight on the ground, though quite often you will not pass a route that would allow you to see that anyway.
I think it is a general rule for all airlines in Japan. Also I have never seen a cockpit door open on an Air Asia flight either.
If you've lived in Japan or visited a few times you know that Japan loves to have rules just for the point of having rules.
Travelin_the_world is offline  
Old Oct 15, 18, 5:05 pm
  #10  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,589
Originally Posted by Travelin_the_world View Post
I think it is a general rule for all airlines in Japan. Also I have never seen a cockpit door open on an Air Asia flight either.
If you've lived in Japan or visited a few times you know that Japan loves to have rules just for the point of having rules.
I live in Japan.... When it comes to "safety" rules when flying the US leads the pack on rules for the sake of rules. But in general yeah, we do have our share of fun stuff here when it comes to rules.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Oct 16, 18, 9:19 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I live in Japan.... When it comes to "safety" rules when flying the US leads the pack on rules for the sake of rules. But in general yeah, we do have our share of fun stuff here when it comes to rules.
I've realized that most of the rules have exceptions to them. The hard part is figuring out what is okay, and whats not okay. Japanese people say you're not supposed to talk on the phone in the train..... But I see so many Japanese men and women so drunk in the train that they puke inside. Now why do they care so much about me talking quietly on the phone, but some guy puking is okay. Pretty weird culture if you ask me. I have the kinishanai or "I don't care" approach to it. Seems I can get what I want most of the time. haha
Travelin_the_world is offline  
Old Oct 16, 18, 11:15 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky/Japan
Programs: UAL 1k
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Is that an ANA rule, or a general rule for airlines in Japan? I don't recall ever seeing the door open on a JAL flight on the ground, though quite often you will not pass a route that would allow you to see that anyway.
I am not sure who's rule it is. I have heard JCAB rule but I have also heard that Jetstar allows the door to be open on the ground after the flight. So not really sure.

What I would like is to be able to open the door after the flight to at least say a goodbye or thanks for flying with us. Prior to flight I don't mind it being closed at that is a fairly busy time.
jrmyl is offline  
Old Oct 16, 18, 4:16 pm
  #13  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,589
Originally Posted by Travelin_the_world View Post
I've realized that most of the rules have exceptions to them. The hard part is figuring out what is okay, and whats not okay. Japanese people say you're not supposed to talk on the phone in the train..... But I see so many Japanese men and women so drunk in the train that they puke inside. Now why do they care so much about me talking quietly on the phone, but some guy puking is okay. Pretty weird culture if you ask me. I have the kinishanai or "I don't care" approach to it. Seems I can get what I want most of the time. haha
Apart from foreigners, I have not seen anyone actually puking on a train, and I assure you Japanese people do mind. Foreigner or Japanese. Like the phone "rule" they won't actually say anything directly in the situation. It will be conveyed by other means. Means that are often, sadly, missing when it comes to us foreigners. So we tend to think we get away with it....
CPH-Flyer is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread