FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   Cockpit Visits on ANA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1934709-cockpit-visits-ana.html)

brewdog11 Oct 9, 2018 10:03 am

Cockpit Visits on ANA

Some friends and I have an upcoming flight on ANA, and we're wondering if the cabin crew would allow us to visit the cockpit before departure. I've been curious to see the 787's flight deck, so I'd very much appreciate a visit. I've heard that Japanese airlines don't allow this sort of thing, so I wanted to make sure first. Would it be worth it to talk to the purser or another member of the cabin crew about this?

Yoshi212 Oct 9, 2018 12:44 pm

You'll probably have a better chance asking during flight about a visit upon landing when the flight crew will be not occupied with preflight operations and seen as less of a potential security risk.

Originally Posted by brewdog11 (Post 30295902)
Some friends and I have an upcoming flight on ANA, and we're wondering if the cabin crew would allow us to visit the cockpit before departure. I've been curious to see the 787's flight deck, so I'd very much appreciate a visit. I've heard that Japanese airlines don't allow this sort of thing, so I wanted to make sure first. Would it be worth it to talk to the purser or another member of the cabin crew about this?

Redwood839 Oct 10, 2018 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 30296626)
You'll probably have a better chance asking during flight about a visit upon landing when the flight crew will be not occupied with preflight operations and seen as less of a potential security risk.

This. You're more likely to get it at landing, ask in the air. I once visited a 767 flight deck on ANA and they were nice. You're also bound to get a better experience from the crew in the front if you do it after landing, during boarding they'll be busy and might not even be courteous or pay attention.

I always ask nicely and explain the reasons why and that I'm a CPL but only fly turbo props etc. I was once allowed into an AV A330 flight deck in cruise and allowed to stay for landing and on a DL flight back in 2005 was allowed in the cockpit of a 764 and even allowed to enter things into the FMC during boarding. Genuine great experience.

brewdog11 Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll ask before landing -- I'm really interested in checking it out!

CPH-Flyer Oct 10, 2018 5:17 pm

I do miss the days where it was quite common to be able to visit the cockpit during the flight It could be very interesting. I understand the many reasons why this is in the past, but that does not make it less of a lost experience.

Travelin_the_world Oct 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Most likely they won't allow you to visit the cockpit because ANA has policies in place that state before boarding the cockpit door must remain closed.
A lot of my friends work for ANA and they are always so surprised to fly a non Japanese carrier because they can see into the cockpit.... But good luck.

jrmyl Oct 14, 2018 4:56 pm

We are not allowed to have visits either before or after the flight. The door must be closed when passengers are on board. It is a terrible rule in my opinion. When I was flying in the US I loved to have people come visit any time on the ground. I really wish we could do that here. Sorry.

CPH-Flyer Oct 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by jrmyl (Post 30315385)
We are not allowed to have visits either before or after the flight. The door must be closed when passengers are on board. It is a terrible rule in my opinion. When I was flying in the US I loved to have people come visit any time on the ground. I really wish we could do that here. Sorry.

Is that an ANA rule, or a general rule for airlines in Japan? I don't recall ever seeing the door open on a JAL flight on the ground, though quite often you will not pass a route that would allow you to see that anyway.

Travelin_the_world Oct 15, 2018 8:13 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30315496)
Is that an ANA rule, or a general rule for airlines in Japan? I don't recall ever seeing the door open on a JAL flight on the ground, though quite often you will not pass a route that would allow you to see that anyway.

I think it is a general rule for all airlines in Japan. Also I have never seen a cockpit door open on an Air Asia flight either.
If you've lived in Japan or visited a few times you know that Japan loves to have rules just for the point of having rules.

CPH-Flyer Oct 15, 2018 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Travelin_the_world (Post 30317179)
I think it is a general rule for all airlines in Japan. Also I have never seen a cockpit door open on an Air Asia flight either.
If you've lived in Japan or visited a few times you know that Japan loves to have rules just for the point of having rules.

I live in Japan.... When it comes to "safety" rules when flying the US leads the pack on rules for the sake of rules. But in general yeah, we do have our share of fun stuff here when it comes to rules. :)

Travelin_the_world Oct 16, 2018 9:19 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30318901)
I live in Japan.... When it comes to "safety" rules when flying the US leads the pack on rules for the sake of rules. But in general yeah, we do have our share of fun stuff here when it comes to rules. :)

I've realized that most of the rules have exceptions to them. The hard part is figuring out what is okay, and whats not okay. Japanese people say you're not supposed to talk on the phone in the train..... But I see so many Japanese men and women so drunk in the train that they puke inside. Now why do they care so much about me talking quietly on the phone, but some guy puking is okay. Pretty weird culture if you ask me. I have the kinishanai or "I don't care" approach to it. Seems I can get what I want most of the time. haha

jrmyl Oct 16, 2018 11:15 am

I am not sure who's rule it is. I have heard JCAB rule but I have also heard that Jetstar allows the door to be open on the ground after the flight. So not really sure.

What I would like is to be able to open the door after the flight to at least say a goodbye or thanks for flying with us. Prior to flight I don't mind it being closed at that is a fairly busy time.

CPH-Flyer Oct 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Travelin_the_world (Post 30321063)
I've realized that most of the rules have exceptions to them. The hard part is figuring out what is okay, and whats not okay. Japanese people say you're not supposed to talk on the phone in the train..... But I see so many Japanese men and women so drunk in the train that they puke inside. Now why do they care so much about me talking quietly on the phone, but some guy puking is okay. Pretty weird culture if you ask me. I have the kinishanai or "I don't care" approach to it. Seems I can get what I want most of the time. haha

Apart from foreigners, I have not seen anyone actually puking on a train, and I assure you Japanese people do mind. Foreigner or Japanese. Like the phone "rule" they won't actually say anything directly in the situation. It will be conveyed by other means. Means that are often, sadly, missing when it comes to us foreigners. So we tend to think we get away with it....

Shion20CA Feb 20, 2024 2:47 am

Did they allowed you to invite in the cockpit???

CPH-Flyer Feb 20, 2024 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Shion20CA (Post 36014323)
Did they allowed you to invite in the cockpit???

I have not asked in ages.