Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA award waitlisting: any way to waitlist onto "any" flight?

Old Oct 7, 18, 10:37 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

Looking to book 3J seats between Tokyo and Honolulu. Looking at the last week of Feb, so theoretically, it's not a particularly high season; I have flexibility on when to fly, so I'm wondering - is there any way to waitlist onto "any" flight? I don't even mind connections, so if it's via Kansai or Fukuoka or something, I don't really care. I was kind of hoping that considering there are ~5 flights per day from Tokyo, about the same from Kansai and some more from other cities, that one of them would clear....
Old Oct 8, 18, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Um, not possible. You can increase your chances with midweek departures, and least like-able flight departure time.
Better for you is to set up an expert flyer account and put up multiple alerts for award space on all the flights you are looking at.
or, check daily for availability on the United website with its calendar function.

I just checked and there are 3 seats on United direct flight Narita to Honolulu on the 26th Feb (as seen on the Aeroplan Website). However, it is not showing on the ANA website.
I strongly suggest you call ANA and see if you can snag them, and then waitlist for your return (if your dates are not available).

What I found (FYI).
[KVS Tool 9.0.0/Diamond - Awards/AC-StarAlliance/CA-Auto]

NRT Tokyo Narita Intl JP [RJAA]
HNL Honolulu Intl HI US [PHNL]
TUE 26 Feb 2019 | 3 Seats

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Award Availability
--------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- ------------------
UA 902 NRT 19:00 HNL 06:40 777 0 CS+ YS+

Last edited by Tokyoite; Oct 8, 18 at 10:01 am
Old Oct 8, 18, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I guess I was being too optimistic hoping for a multi-waitlist option Iíll try what you suggested - cheers.
Old Oct 8, 18, 5:11 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
According to several Japanese blogs about ANA award,
TYO-HNL J class availability is 2 seats for an ordinary ANA member, 4 seats for an ANA premium member.
So, if you want to grab 3 seats of J in advance, you have to be an ANA premium member (Diamond,Sapphire,SFC).

However, last minutes (7 days to 4 days advance) seats are available for an ordinary member at max 4 seats.

Of course, introduction of A380s may change this situtation.
Old Oct 8, 18, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
According to several Japanese blogs about ANA award,
TYO-HNL J class availability is 2 seats for an ordinary ANA member, 4 seats for an ANA premium member.
So, if you want to grab 3 seats of J in advance, you have to be an ANA premium member (Diamond,Sapphire,SFC).

However, last minutes (7 days to 4 days advance) seats are available for an ordinary member at max 4 seats.

Of course, introduction of A380s may change this situtation.
Interesting. I'm going for ANA Platinum before end of year - but I'm guessing the flights are likely booked out already anyway for Feb. Curious - any way to look up the availability for those without being a member? (just wondering what the situation "as of today" for end of February is)
Old Oct 8, 18, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Interesting. I'm going for ANA Platinum before end of year - but I'm guessing the flights are likely booked out already anyway for Feb. Curious - any way to look up the availability for those without being a member? (just wondering what the situation "as of today" for end of February is)
I looked. All show waiting list for that whole week in business class for any number of seats. (in spite of the UA flights above). Quite open for economy class though.
Old Oct 8, 18, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post

I looked. All show waiting list for that whole week in business class for any number of seats. (in spite of the UA flights above). Quite open for economy class though.
Thanks. Yeah, I figured the J seats would be taken up this close in. Ah well... maybe I'll fly JL instead.
Old Oct 8, 18, 6:47 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
As a NH diamond member,
availability from 24Feb2019 to 28Feb2019
24Feb
NRT-HNL UA902 Y2C0
NRT-HNL NH184 Y1C1
NRT-HNL NH182 Y1C0
HND-HNL NH182 Y1C0
25Feb
NRT-HNL NH182 Y0C1
26Feb
NRT-HNL UA902 Y9C9
HND-HNL NH186 Y0C1
27Feb None
28Feb None

26Feb UA902 may be phantom.
Old Oct 8, 18, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
As a NH diamond member,
availability from 24Feb2019 to 28Feb2019
24Feb
NRT-HNL UA902 Y2C0
NRT-HNL NH184 Y1C1
NRT-HNL NH182 Y1C0
HND-HNL NH182 Y1C0
25Feb
NRT-HNL NH182 Y0C1
26Feb
NRT-HNL UA902 Y9C9
HND-HNL NH186 Y0C1
27Feb None
28Feb None

26Feb UA902 may be phantom.
Thanks for that. Agree the C9 is a bit suspicious. Surprised there's not more priority space for an NH Diamond, though.
Old Oct 10, 18, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT; DL GLD
Sorry to tack onto this but it is a very similar issue and didn't want to make a new thread to clog up the board. If I make a RT award booking from IAH-NRT can I get wait-listed on the return leg for NRT-ORD flight? If not, can I change it if I see availability opens in O? I have not decided yet on whether I will use ANA miles or Virgin Atlantic if that has an impact on the ability to change the return leg. I appreciate everyone's help.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: