Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA’s Paris branch manager fired after assaulting neighbor on flight

Old Oct 5, 18, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver (working on Gold), Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*

Nikkei article in Japanese: https://r.nikkei.com/article/DGKKZO3...id=kobetsu&s=1

Says he got drunk and injured the neck of a woman in her 50s sitting nearby in C on the CDG-HND flight.
Old Oct 5, 18, 8:58 pm

Programs: ANA: Platinum / Marriott: Gold Elite
And in response no ANA Group employees can consume alcohol on ANA planes or in ANA lounges. To be honest I'm a little surprised this was not a rule in the first place.
Old Oct 6, 18, 2:11 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Torode View Post
And in response no ANA Group employees can consume alcohol on ANA planes or in ANA lounges. To be honest I'm a little surprised this was not a rule in the first place.
I am surprised this is a consequence of the incident. I find it quite a nany state attitude from ANA.

I would expect that staff traveling in uniform or otherwise easily identifiable by the public as ANA employees were already banned from consuming any alcohol during travel. Which is a correct rule to have in place. But a blanket ban based on this incident is an over reaction.
​​​​​​

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Oct 6, 18 at 2:59 am
Old Oct 6, 18, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I am surprised this is a consequence of the incident. I find it quite a nany state attitude from ANA.

I would expect that travelling traveling in uniform or otherwise easily identifiable by the public as ANA employees were already banned from consuming any alcohol during travel. Which is a correct rule to have in place. But a blanket ban based on this incident is an over reaction.
​​​​​​
You'll see recurrence prevention language all through Japanese corporate risk management regulations. They need to show they are taking steps to stop it from happening again. I agree it is a bit of a sledgehammer response, and it sucks that this person has essentially ruined it for everyone. That said, when you are traveling on the company dime, whether an ANA employee or not, I don't think it's unfair to be held to higher standards.
Old Oct 6, 18, 2:54 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Torode View Post
You'll see recurrence prevention language all through Japanese corporate risk management regulations. They need to show they are taking steps to stop it from happening again. I agree it is a bit of a sledgehammer response, and it sucks that this person has essentially ruined it for everyone. That said, when you are traveling on the company dime, whether an ANA employee or not, I don't think it's unfair to be held to higher standards.
We have clear language for being good corporate citizens when travelling for the company, and giving directions for strong moderation in alcohol consumption. I would suspect ANA already had that as well.

I think the guy was a daft idiot for causing this incident, and that he deserves anything that ANA can possibly throw his way. But IMHO, that should really be it. And a fitting public apology.
Old Oct 6, 18, 3:13 am

We have clear language for being good corporate citizens when travelling for the company, and giving directions for strong moderation in alcohol consumption. I would suspect ANA already had that as well.

I think the guy was a daft idiot for causing this incident, and that he deserves anything that ANA can possibly throw his way. But IMHO, that should really be it. And a fitting public apology.
The blanket ban may well be a temporary measure until they can establish something more precise. Another article mentions re-training the chief purser to better monitor the serving of alcohol and general safety, so it might be a band-aid until they have something more permanent in place.

But it better not result in me being cut off just because this guy couldn't handle a few glasses of wine.
Old Oct 8, 18, 8:13 pm

Programs: ANA (Platinum, SFC) *G, JAL (JALCARD), IHG Platinum Elite

I would expect that staff traveling in uniform or otherwise easily identifiable by the public as ANA employees were already banned from consuming any alcohol during travel. Which is a correct rule to have in place. But a blanket ban based on this incident is an over reaction.
​​​​​​
This is a 100% typical corporate Japan reaction
Old Oct 8, 18, 8:32 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by sodaisei View Post
This is a 100% typical corporate Japan reaction
Actually not, the typical corporate reaction in Japan is to send someone out to apologise deeply in front of TV cameras, but actually do little to nothing internally. Maybe an internal review that shows that basically procedures were followed, and apart from the one causing the issue no one was actually at fault.
Old Oct 8, 18, 8:33 pm

Programs: NH
I know staff there. It seems when they are travelling on duty, they cant drink. When they travel on staff discount ticket, they can but it seems there is clear corporate language. I met that specific manager and he isn't a bad person. However long overtime work, fatigue and alcohol in the air can definitely change a man! (especially some asians)
Torode likes this.

Search this Thread