Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Going for ANA status - does NH codeshare count towards ANA metal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

To get 50K, I need 25K NH metal and 25K “any” Star.

I have an option of booking NRT-BOM direct or NRT-BKK-BOM, where the second option could be TG+TG or NH+TG (in all cases, on a NH flight # though).

If I book NH marketed, TG operated, will it count against the 25K NH metal requirement - or not? Also, will it get the +400 Premium point bonus per flight?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: ANA: SFC / Marriott: Platinum Elite / Hilton: Diamond
Interesting question, because in the English answer to this question the term "mileage" is used, which has got to be mistranslated.

On the English page explaining premium points, it reads:
ANA Code share flights operated by Star Alliance member reserved and board under an ANA flight number will accrual mileage as Star Alliance member airline flights.
And the Japanese version of the same page:
スター アライアンス加盟航空会社の機材および乗務員で運航するコードシェア便を、ANA便名でご予約・ご搭乗の場 合は、スター アライアンス加盟航空会社運航便ご搭乗分として積算されます。
I would translate this as:
When a code share flight operated and crewed by a Star Alliance member is reserved and boarded under an ANA flight number, the flight is eligible for accrual as a Star Alliance member airline flight.

Based on this, it seems that NH code shares will not count as ANA metal for the purpose of premium points.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
To get 50K, I need 25K NH metal and 25K “any” Star.

I have an option of booking NRT-BOM direct or NRT-BKK-BOM, where the second option could be TG+TG or NH+TG (in all cases, on a NH flight # though).

If I book NH marketed, TG operated, will it count against the 25K NH metal requirement - or not? Also, will it get the +400 Premium point bonus per flight?
TG operating flights are counted as TG flights and TG booking class (usually, not same as you booking class on ANA), not ANA.

ANA's miles and premium points are calculated based on operating carriers.
About boarding points(400points), 100% or above earning rate fare earns 400 points on partner operating flights.

In my experience, SA coded M class (ANA operated) HKG-HND was calculated as an ANA flight (U class), and route multiplier (x1.5) was applied.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
TG operating flights are counted as TG flights and TG booking class (usually, not same as you booking class on ANA), not ANA.

ANA's miles and premium points are calculated based on operating carriers.
About boarding points(400points), 100% or above earning rate fare earns 400 points on partner operating flights.

In my experience, SA coded M class (ANA operated) HKG-HND was calculated as an ANA flight (U class), and route multiplier (x1.5) was applied.
Oh really!

So it’s the opposite of how Oneworld works. I should then look for the cheapest fare marketed by whoever but operated by NH and I should be able to get my required flight mileage. Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
So it’s the opposite of how Oneworld works.
Actually, OW is the only exception among alliances. Most programs credit flight based on operating carriers.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Actually, OW is the only exception among alliances. Most programs credit flight based on operating carriers.
Fair enough. My only experience is with these two so it’s inherently binary But noted!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
So it’s the opposite of how Oneworld works. I should then look for the cheapest fare marketed by whoever but operated by NH and I should be able to get my required flight mileage. Thanks!
Be aware. There are magical mappings from marketing airlines booking class to operating airlines booking class.
In my example, SA's M class (100% if SA operating) was converted to ANA's U class (70% earnings, but 1.5 route factor resulted 105% premium points earning).
In worst case, a cheapest fare earns 0% miles and premium points.
And, ANA couldn't tell you a conversion scenario before actual crediting.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Be aware. There are magical mappings from marketing airlines booking class to operating airlines booking class.
In my example, SA's M class (100% if SA operating) was converted to ANA's U class (70% earnings, but 1.5 route factor resulted 105% premium points earning).
In worst case, a cheapest fare earns 0% miles and premium points.
And, ANA couldn't tell you a conversion scenario before actual crediting.
Noted, thanks. I’m doing this as a one-time stint to earn Super Flyers card and have pseudo-lifetime status, so I’m trying to be as careful as I can. I think I’ll just play it safe and book NRT BOM on NH.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:38 am

Noted, thanks. I’m doing this as a one-time stint to earn Super Flyers card and have pseudo-lifetime status, so I’m trying to be as careful as I can. I think I’ll just play it safe and book NRT BOM on NH.
Smart to play it safe. I thought I had my 50,000 perfectly worked out with a final trip to Phuket, only to find that the TG-operated Bangkok-Phuket leg accrues zero premium points.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by Torode
Smart to play it safe. I thought I had my 50,000 perfectly worked out with a final trip to Phuket, only to find that the TG-operated Bangkok-Phuket leg accrues zero premium points.
This happened to me on my SQ trip to Bali... ZERO miles and premium points in all itineraries.... lesson learned
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by sodaisei
This happened to me on my SQ trip to Bali... ZERO miles and premium points in all itineraries.... lesson learned
SIN-DPS is a tricky.
If you choose a native SQ flight, you can earn miles/PP.
However, SQ coded MI(Silkair, sub of SQ) earns 0 miles/PP, because of MI isn't a Star Alliance partner.

Partner coded non-partner operating fights usually earn no miles in most of FFPs.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:31 pm

SIN-DPS is a tricky.
If you choose a native SQ flight, you can earn miles/PP.
However, SQ coded MI(Silkair, sub of SQ) earns 0 miles/PP, because of MI isn't a Star Alliance partner.

Partner coded non-partner operating fights usually earn no miles in most of FFPs.
I got ZERO on all HND-SIN, SIN-DPS(on SQ),DPS-SIN and SIN- NRT lol

at least I got lounge access...
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:52 am

I got ZERO on all HND-SIN, SIN-DPS(on SQ),DPS-SIN and SIN- NRT
Wow, was it a heavily discounted economy fare?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Torode
Wow, was it a heavily discounted economy fare?
t was like 64k yen so maybe? If I knew I couldn't get any premium points I would have taken the direct flight of Air Asia though...
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
t was like 64k yen so maybe? If I knew I couldn't get any premium points I would have taken the direct flight of Air Asia though...
if accrual is important to you, always check the fare basis for your flights. Quite a number of fare codes don’t earn any miles!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.