FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   How Flexible is NH's Weather IRROPS Handling? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1928017-how-flexible-nhs-weather-irrops-handling.html)

username Aug 29, 2018 10:53 pm

How Flexible is NH's Weather IRROPS Handling?

I wonder how good/flexible NH is on weather issue handling. Going to Japan and a typhoon is approaching. Paid UA ticket in J and *A Gold.

The policies are here: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/servicei...l/weatherinfo/ but I wonder about things like meals, hotels and reroutes if things go really bad.

Thanks.

CPH-Flyer Aug 30, 2018 5:17 am

Originally Posted by username (Post 30146570)
I wonder how good/flexible NH is on weather issue handling. Going to Japan and a typhoon is approaching. Paid UA ticket in J and *A Gold.

The policies are here: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/servicei...l/weatherinfo/ but I wonder about things like meals, hotels and reroutes if things go really bad.

Thanks.

I would not worry about the typhoon. It is still pretty far out, and not on a course towards the main hubs. Start worrying if it is predicted to hit your arrival or departure airport directly around the time you are going to land or take off.

Japan is fairly good at handling the impacts from a typhoon without the major disruptions seen in other coubtroes.

​​​​​​Most likely outcome, the typhoon will come and go, and your flight will operate as scheduled

That being said. NH will solve problems as they come, but will not give a two week rebooking waiver for something that is very likely to be a non event

NYC2SGN Sep 2, 2018 1:46 am

Typhoon Jebi!!!

Typhoon Jebi is expected to make landfall on Tuesday (9/4/18).

United already emailed me this morning to tell me my flight (UA78) may be impacted and they have a travel waiver in effect for 9/3-9/5 for anyone going to/from/through Japan's major airports.

The only thing: I am ticketed with NH, and traveling from SGN on NH834 to NRT before continuing on UA78 to EWR.

Tried to call UA Premier Desk, but they said they couldn't help me since it was a NH ticket. So I called ANA to see if they also had a travel waiver for Typhoon Jebi. The agent I spoke to told me they cannot help me unless one of my flights is cancelled.

Interestingly: I told the NH agent about my call to the UA Premier Desk and how UA had a travel waiver in effect for Japan airports and she asked for the waiver code (UA's regular travel advisory page doesn't list it, but the travel advisory page from UA Jetstream does). After I gave her the waiver code, she asked me what I'd like to do. I told her I'd prefer to connect in Taipei (via BR) or Singapore (via SQ). She put me on hold and talked about it with her supervisor for a while and then told me they still couldn't do anything unless one of the flights is cancelled --but this makes me feel like I might get a different answer if I call back. Not sure if I would just be wasting my time if I HUACA because it seems NH is not as proactive with IRROPS as U.S. carriers.

Anyone else flying out of NRT/HND on 9/4 or will be affected by Jebi? Any suggestions on how I might get NH to re-route me?

CPH-Flyer Sep 2, 2018 2:06 am

As we call it in Japan, typhoon number 21. In te simple logic that it is the 21st typhoon to hit Japan or close to Japan this year. NH will deal with it when they know they have to. By far most of these typhoons this year have ended up being non events for travellers at Haneda and Narita.

With the current track, Tokyo will be on the very outer edge of the storm on the 4th. So right now I doubt Haneda and Narita will see major disruptions.

CPH-Flyer Sep 2, 2018 7:53 pm

Current trajectory has the typhoon making land fall on Shikoku around 9am the 4th of September, making its way up over Osaka and central Japan.. The Tokyo area is now completely out of the path of the typhoon, though a fair bit of rain associated with the storm will hit Tokyo, probably nothing that will impact airport operations

Travelin_the_world Sep 2, 2018 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by NYC2SGN (Post 30157646)
Typhoon Jebi is expected to make landfall on Tuesday (9/4/18).

United already emailed me this morning to tell me my flight (UA78) may be impacted and they have a travel waiver in effect for 9/3-9/5 for anyone going to/from/through Japan's major airports.

The only thing: I am ticketed with NH, and traveling from SGN on NH834 to NRT before continuing on UA78 to EWR.

Tried to call UA Premier Desk, but they said they couldn't help me since it was a NH ticket. So I called ANA to see if they also had a travel waiver for Typhoon Jebi. The agent I spoke to told me they cannot help me unless one of my flights is cancelled.

Interestingly: I told the NH agent about my call to the UA Premier Desk and how UA had a travel waiver in effect for Japan airports and she asked for the waiver code (UA's regular travel advisory page doesn't list it, but the travel advisory page from UA Jetstream does). After I gave her the waiver code, she asked me what I'd like to do. I told her I'd prefer to connect in Taipei (via BR) or Singapore (via SQ). She put me on hold and talked about it with her supervisor for a while and then told me they still couldn't do anything unless one of the flights is cancelled --but this makes me feel like I might get a different answer if I call back. Not sure if I would just be wasting my time if I HUACA because it seems NH is not as proactive with IRROPS as U.S. carriers.

Anyone else flying out of NRT/HND on 9/4 or will be affected by Jebi? Any suggestions on how I might get NH to re-route me?

In Japan they always "can't do anything." I'm happy you were able to get someone who could actually speak English at ANA. ANA also does not generally allow you to change your flight until your flight has been canceled. This is because ANA is very reactive and not proactive. For example, I had a similar situation on a domestic Japan ticket. The typhoon was coming on Sunday so I asked if I could change to leave Saturday. The answer was NO and they can only change once my flight is canceled. So on Sunday I went to the airport and my flight was canceled. I then found the same woman who couldn't change my flight the day before and asked her what I could do. She offered me a refund, or flight the next day. I was quite angry given that I wanted to avoid this situation by traveling the day before. But this is a very Japanese way to deal with something by waiting until its too late. As they say, "shiyoganai"

username Sep 3, 2018 5:53 pm

I made it to HND this morning. No wind. Rain is pretty bad and on and off. Since I had a ticket issued by UA, I suppose I could have had UA change it. However, it is a mileage run so I sort of needed to get it over with. What does one do in Tokyo on a rainy day....

CPH-Flyer Sep 3, 2018 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 30163446)
I made it to HND this morning. No wind. Rain is pretty bad and on and off. Since I had a ticket issued by UA, I suppose I could have had UA change it. However, it is a mileage run so I sort of needed to get it over with. What does one do in Tokyo on a rainy day....

Eat and shop....

The typhoon is basically bypassing Tokyo. So there will be no strong winds in the Tokyo area.

CPH-Flyer Sep 4, 2018 3:23 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30163780)
Eat and shop....

The typhoon is basically bypassing Tokyo. So there will be no strong winds in the Tokyo area.

A bit windy this evening in Tokyo.

But Kansai airport is taking a serious beating. Traffic will surely be disrupted there.

CSCem Sep 4, 2018 7:08 pm

Kansai airports bridge to land was damaged by a ship, so over 5000 passengers were stranded at the airport and only brought to land this morning by ship.
Quite impressive videos on television
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.W48sLej7TIU

sodaisei Sep 4, 2018 7:46 pm

I wonder how long it is gonna take for KIX to start working again...

CSCem Sep 4, 2018 7:58 pm

I would say that once the runway , bridge and basic equipment is cleaned, repaired and operational, they will feel the pressure to open even on reduced rate. Itami is not made to handle all the international traffic and Nagoya is a bit far...
I just wonder how much the flooding destroyed the equipment, lane, etc.

TennisNoob Sep 5, 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by NYC2SGN (Post 30157646)

Business as usual. Bus services to NRT and the metro ran as usual. Flight took off on time. NH is by the book, pretty much no exceptions.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30164696)
A bit windy this evening in Tokyo.

But Kansai airport is taking a serious beating. Traffic will surely be disrupted there.

Yeah turbulence was really bad. 2 hours they couldn't serve meals almost on NH174 yesterday.