ANA J Class Pajamas & Knitwear

Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:03 am
Original Poster

ANA J Class Pajamas & Knitwear

I know this has been covered briefly in another thread, but as ANA (at least from my impression) changes their offering at times, wanted to clarify the policy on J Class Pajamas & Knitwear?

It used to be that PJs were for keeps, Knitwear was returned, but now it looks like both are (per what I see on ANA's website)? Can any FlyerTalk folk who were on ANA J Class recently (long haul routes) confirm or deny?

Returning the knitwear makes sense, but surprised that they'd want the PJs back ... who reuses PJs worn by a stranger?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The F PJ was many years ago collected, though I doubt it was laundered and reused. It is certainly for keeps now.

I was not even aware of the J PJ for rental, I have never been offered one, or asked. With the 'free rental' note, I am sure they collect it.

If it is made from a fabric that can stand up to industrial laundry, why is that so much worse the hotel bed linen?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
They don't actively offer the PJs in J, you have to specifically ask for one. I usually ask for one at the beginning of the flight to make sure there are enough large ones left. You have to return the PJs after use. My guess would be that they are laundered and then reused. I usually change back into my normal cloth sometime before landing and every time I left the bathroom after changing one of the FAs in the galley politely offered to take the PJ back when I left the bathroom.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both! @CPH-Flyer: oh, it's not a better or worse comparison - I'm just surprised that they wouldn't let you keep it in J class and have a nicer version of some sort in F class (if they want to make F vs. J about a PJ difference, haha).

And good to know, FlyEurope! How do they compare to other APAC airlines? I have CX First ones and will also have EVA J ones by that time. Not sure if valuable to even ask for one vs. using one of my own...
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyEurope
They don't actively offer the PJs in J, you have to specifically ask for one. I usually ask for one at the beginning of the flight to make sure there are enough large ones left. You have to return the PJs after use. My guess would be that they are laundered and then reused. I usually change back into my normal cloth sometime before landing and every time I left the bathroom after changing one of the FAs in the galley politely offered to take the PJ back when I left the bathroom.
This. I almost feel that they are standing outside waiting to make sure that you don't keep the pajamas...
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by hardworking21
Thank you both! @CPH-Flyer: oh, it's not a better or worse comparison - I'm just surprised that they wouldn't let you keep it in J class and have a nicer version of some sort in F class (if they want to make F vs. J about a PJ difference, haha).

And good to know, FlyEurope! How do they compare to other APAC airlines? I have CX First ones and will also have EVA J ones by that time. Not sure if valuable to even ask for one vs. using one of my own...
there are no PJs in the traditional sense in business class. Just a cardigan you can borrow and then need to return at the end of the flight ("knitwear" in this link). If PJs are a deal breaker, then Eva is better.
JAL too doesn't offer a PJ in business class, so I guess there isn't a need for PJs in business for the ANA (and JAL) business class majority clients - Japanese business men on business flights.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
there are no PJs in the traditional sense in business class. Just a cardigan you can borrow and then need to return at the end of the flight ("knitwear" in this link). If PJs are a deal breaker, then Eva is better.
JAL too doesn't offer a PJ in business class, so I guess there isn't a need for PJs in business for the ANA (and JAL) business class majority clients - Japanese business men on business flights.
But right next to the knitwear in that link they mention a pajama "free rental", which is the basis of the question. So I would say they do, in limited quantities. I will make sure to ask for one next time I fly J with them....
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But right next to the knitwear in that link they mention a pajama "free rental", which is the basis of the question. So I would say they do, in limited quantities. I will make sure to ask for one next time I fly J with them....
The thing you get when you ask for a PJ is the "PJ" that is pictured on top of the pillow in Tokyoite's link.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyEurope
The thing you get when you ask for a PJ is the "PJ" that is pictured on top of the pillow in Tokyoite's link.
Scroll to the bottom, there is a much clearer picture. Right below (mobile version) or right next to (desktop version) the knitwear picture. :-)
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:25 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OK, scroll down about 65% through this ANA webpage and see the section on Pajamas.

http://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/servicein...ide/c/amenity/

I got to keep a set a few years ago. After a couple washings at home the pants are quite comfortable. I sometimes wear them to scurry around the house since they are quick and easy to put on.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:28 am

I was just curious if the PJ needs to be returned before leaving due to "free rental" language, then does that mean we can take pillow and comforters because it does not say "free rental"
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
I was just curious if the PJ needs to be returned before leaving due to "free rental" language, then does that mean we can take pillow and comforters because it does not say "free rental"
I would guess the logic of that is the point that most people would expect not to have to return a PJ, and they want to stress that IJAL used to use the same language for their cardigan in J, and I even seem to remember NH did for the knitwear But maybe I am just mixing JAL and NH up here.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:37 am

I would guess the logic of that is the point that most people would expect not to have to return a PJ, and they want to stress that IJAL used to use the same language for their cardigan in J, and I even seem to remember NH did for the knitwear But maybe I am just mixing JAL and NH up here.
I was on JAL business class last November and the crew members did not come to collect the cardigan towards the end of the flight so I kept it. I was hoping to do the same with ANA. I love collecting airline PJs and think that they are comfortable.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
I was on JAL business class last November and the crew members did not come to collect the cardigan towards the end of the flight so I kept it. I was hoping to do the same with ANA. I love collecting airline PJs and think that they are comfortable.
I have never actually used the cardigan on JAL, so I don't know if they actively ask for it, or just expect it to be left behind. Or even stopped that. I can test today though....
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:24 pm

I have never actually used the cardigan on JAL, so I don't know if they actively ask for it, or just expect it to be left behind. Or even stopped that. I can test today though....
If you are willing to test today, please let me know.
Judging from the Japanese culture, I don't think crew members strongly demand the return of pajama on ANA or cardigan on JAL from the customers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.