Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA Star Alliance Upgrade Availability for SFO/SJC <> NRT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat

Planning a trip to Japan in January and I have an option to leave from SFO or SJC. Does one of the airport have better star alliance upgrade/seat availability over the other?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by godbreath
Planning a trip to Japan in January and I have an option to leave from SFO or SJC. Does one of the airport have better star alliance upgrade/seat availability over the other?
Star Alliance upgrades are pending I inventory are available for upgrade to business and O inventory for upgrade to first. But also check the applicable booking classes from economy very carefully, it is only from relatively expensive booking classes you can process upgrades with points from another Star Alliance carrier.

You can look for the general availability of awards in J and F (F only from SFO) to get an idea of how availability is on the routes Normal awards go against the same inventory.
godbreath likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jul 14, 2018 at 4:25 am
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: United 1K UA, MM *G for life
*A Upgrades Blocked on Certain Aircraft?

I'm flying SFO to NRT on January 17th. I put in for a plus points upgrade from premium economy (Booked in E) to business and am waitlisted. Now I've heard maybe *A upgrades are blocked on certain ANA metal? Can anyone confirm/elaborate?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Fine Wine
I'm flying SFO to NRT on January 17th. I put in for a plus points upgrade from premium economy (Booked in E) to business and am waitlisted. Now I've heard maybe *A upgrades are blocked on certain ANA metal? Can anyone confirm/elaborate?
Plus Points uogrades are not blocked per se, but they are also not guaranteed to happen even if there are available seats in the higher cabin.

So you may find your upgrade declined and see open seats in J. Not because it is generally blocked for the route or the aircraft, just that no seats were released for Plus Points uogrades.
Fine Wine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.