Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problem with Ethiopian Airlines award

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Problem with Ethiopian Airlines award

I've been going back and forth between ANA and Ethiopian because Ethiopian cancelled one of my flights. ANA couldn't see any award space in their system but I got Ethiopian to waitlist and then confirm (through revenue management) a spot for me on another day. Now my Ethiopian PNR (Sabre) has the new flight on it but my ANA PNR (Amadeus) doesn't so ANA can't reissue the ticket. Does anyone have any insight on what I can do/say to either Ethiopian or ANA to fix this?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Have never checked the ANA forum before - but this caught my eye on the home page! I had a similar issue a few weeks ago on an Ethiopian award ticket booked with SQ miles, but the other way around. SQ had the updated flights on the PNR; ET didn't.

In the end, the existing reservation had to be cancelled completely, with a new ticket issued. This was all handled by an SQ customer service agent, who said he spent hours on the phone with ET figuring out what the problem was before re-ticketing. And now it looks like after all the hassle - mainly on the CS agent's end - I'll have to cancel the ticket

I would suggest to ANA that cancelling and re-ticketing could be a solution- of course whilst keeping the seats on hold.

Hope this helps.
bizarrogir likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! It sounds like Ethiopian's system might have issues connecting with other airline systems. I guess I'll have to give them a call and try to get an ANA CSR and an Ethiopian CSR to talk to each other.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
In my experience, when ET flight schedule change of my ANA award made an original connection impossible, new ET flights were automatically assigned (maybe, by ET, then my ANA reservation page showed new flights. However, that time wasn't convenient for me, I got alternative routing without award refund penalty. Fortunately, there were enough award space.
bizarrogir likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJ747M
Have never checked the ANA forum before - but this caught my eye on the home page! I had a similar issue a few weeks ago on an Ethiopian award ticket booked with SQ miles, but the other way around. SQ had the updated flights on the PNR; ET didn't.

In the end, the existing reservation had to be cancelled completely, with a new ticket issued. This was all handled by an SQ customer service agent, who said he spent hours on the phone with ET figuring out what the problem was before re-ticketing. And now it looks like after all the hassle - mainly on the CS agent's end - I'll have to cancel the ticket

I would suggest to ANA that cancelling and re-ticketing could be a solution- of course whilst keeping the seats on hold.

Hope this helps.
Both ET and ANA keep refusing to call each other. Any tips on how to get them to actually work it out together?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by bizarrogir
Both ET and ANA keep refusing to call each other. Any tips on how to get them to actually work it out together?
Conference call them in.
Call ET first, then add ANA, and explain to both of them your problem.
Ultimately, it is ANA's role to fix the ticket.
But, since you did not involve ANA in your negotiation with ET, you may get some push-back from ANA.

Before going that route, can you ask ANA to check the ticket number, not PNR, and check what flight coupons are attached?
Also, what ticket number do you see on SABRE (virtuallythere.com). Does it match the ANA ticket number? ALL 13 digits of it?
ET might have inadvertently tampered with the ticket itself, and reissued it, hence ANA is seeing old information. Rare, but happens.
bizarrogir likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Whew, I finally got it all fixed! Apparently ET left the old segment in the itinerary. I had them delete the old segment and the ANA PNR finally matched up. I then called ANA to reticket.

FYI I never managed to get the CSRs to call the other airline. They all absolutely refused to do so no matter what I said. In total, it took 7 calls to ET and 5 calls to ANA to get everything fixed.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
nice result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.