Wiki Posts
Search

ANA Reward Flights Via Virgin Atlantic.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:05 am
Original Poster

ANA Reward Flights Via Virgin Atlantic.

Hello – first time poster here so be gentle

I live between Glasgow and Edinburgh and are looking to travel to Japan next May, just after the Golden Week holidays are over in Japan.
I have air miles with Virgin Atlantic and through their partnership with ANA, am told I have enough air miles to get myself / partner First Class seats on ANA in one direction, and Business class flights on way back for a flight from London Heathrow.

Virgin have indicated that the cost in taxes fess will be roughly around 600 GBP per person.
Due to my partners job we can get to London on the train for no cost.

To try and maximise chances of getting these seats, we have basically a month after our first day (Friday May 17th 2019) to pick as a start of our trip, with a duration of anything between 10 and 14 days, and think I start calling Virgin to try and reserve seats from June 27th this month, to try for a 10 day duration trip.

I know these seats are limited but anyone any thoughts on how likely will be to get anything?
Ideally I want to go First on way out, Business on way back.
I also see ANA fly direct from Paris and Frankfurt – I think Frankfurt have 2 flights a day direct via ANA – so perhaps use these airports also, as I can get low cost flights to / from both cities.

Any thoughts, tips that could help?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Antony Jackson
Hello – first time poster here so be gentle

I live between Glasgow and Edinburgh and are looking to travel to Japan next May, just after the Golden Week holidays are over in Japan.
I have air miles with Virgin Atlantic and through their partnership with ANA, am told I have enough air miles to get myself / partner First Class seats on ANA in one direction, and Business class flights on way back for a flight from London Heathrow.

Virgin have indicated that the cost in taxes fess will be roughly around 600 GBP per person.
Due to my partners job we can get to London on the train for no cost.

To try and maximise chances of getting these seats, we have basically a month after our first day (Friday May 17th 2019) to pick as a start of our trip, with a duration of anything between 10 and 14 days, and think I start calling Virgin to try and reserve seats from June 27th this month, to try for a 10 day duration trip.

I know these seats are limited but anyone any thoughts on how likely will be to get anything?
Ideally I want to go First on way out, Business on way back.
I also see ANA fly direct from Paris and Frankfurt – I think Frankfurt have 2 flights a day direct via ANA – so perhaps use these airports also, as I can get low cost flights to / from both cities.

Any thoughts, tips that could help?
Generally, call on the day of release. If Virgin allows to book two one way tickets at the same price as return, call for the outbound on the day of the release, and call for the return for the day of the release.

Good luck.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: LH FTL
A few weeks ago I booked an award ticket in J through Lufthansa's M&M. I'm now going from MUC, but checked FRA too. I can only confirm to book as quickly as possible after release and do not wait until return flight becomes available as well. Furthermore, M&M agents told me that ANA releases only 1 seat in J per flight to M&M - or maybe to partner airlines at all?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:05 pm

Hi! There is a whole thread in the Virgin Atlantic forum on this if you want to check that out. I would check for availability through United's website (as they show the same thing), and call VA with as much info as possible (dates, flight numbers, ETC). I did this in January for our trip this November and it was a piece of cake.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jmj10
Hi! There is a whole thread in the Virgin Atlantic forum on this if you want to check that out. I would check for availability through United's website (as they show the same thing), and call VA with as much info as possible (dates, flight numbers, ETC). I did this in January for our trip this November and it was a piece of cake.
To echo this, I just booked ORD-NRT and HND-LAX for Aug 23 and Sept 2 respectively in ANA F. I used United's search engine to find availability on the routes I wanted, then called into Virgin to have them put the flights on hold so I could transfer points in. Then I called in after to apply the points and pay the taxes. Using United is nice because you can search segment by segment as one-way flights, while the actual ANA engine requires a round trip or open jaw.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by ex-koelner
Furthermore, M&M agents told me that ANA releases only 1 seat in J per flight to M&M - or maybe to partner airlines at all?
For MUC-HND, only 1 J and 3 Y are released for general ANA members (and partner airlines ?).

For ORD-NRT, 3 F and 4 J are released for general ANA members (and partner airlines ?).
For LAX-HND, 3 F and 3 J are released for general ANA members (and partner airlines ?).

However, only 1 F and 3 J for HND-LHR, 1 F and 1 J for HND-FRA.
Even an ANA diamond member, you can redeem only 1 F for HND-FRA, and HND-LHR.
BTW, my FRA-HND F waiting list was cleared 3 months before the flight.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ex-koelner
A few weeks ago I booked an award ticket in J through Lufthansa's M&M. I'm now going from MUC, but checked FRA too. I can only confirm to book as quickly as possible after release and do not wait until return flight becomes available as well. Furthermore, M&M agents told me that ANA releases only 1 seat in J per flight to M&M - or maybe to partner airlines at all?
But Virgin tell me I have to book a return flight at same time, no one way, and have to wait until my return date is released to do the booking.
For my first combination of dates for next year (May 17 out, back May 27) they said to call around June 27 this month, to try and get them.

From sound of it, there are chances of getting the flight BACK as it is released that day, but the flight out will have come out 10 days before and quite possibly be gone.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmj10
Doh!
I never thought to look for a Virgin one - what a newbie - thanks for that, will try there.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Antony Jackson
But Virgin tell me I have to book a return flight at same time, no one way, and have to wait until my return date is released to do the booking.
For my first combination of dates for next year (May 17 out, back May 27) they said to call around June 27 this month, to try and get them.

From sound of it, there are chances of getting the flight BACK as it is released that day, but the flight out will have come out 10 days before and quite possibly be gone.
Does Virgin allow to change awards? Then you just wait one day, book a return the day you land (may need to wait two days) and when you come to the day of release of the return you actually want, then you change your booking.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Does Virgin allow to change awards? Then you just wait one day, book a return the day you land (may need to wait two days) and when you come to the day of release of the return you actually want, then you change your booking.
Yes, $50 to change dates.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:51 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Please continue this discussion in the Virgin Atlantic forum as this involves redeeming with their FFP.

Regards,
armagebedar
ANA forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.