Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

How's availability for ANA redemption on J...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Hi All,
Thanks to many of you, I was able to finally fly my first J seat with pts (EVA). We just came back from our Asia trip a few days ago (booked 2 J seats for EVA using Aeroplan miles due to favorable lap child fees). I started asking questions on FT forum a year ago when I first joined the miles/points hobby! Because of your feedbacks, I was able to fly J instead of Y! There's no going back now (especially on long hauls)!!

Here I am again looking for your feedbacks. We are looking at flying to Japan in J (3 seats this time as our child will be over 2 by then) in March/April/or May 2020 (JFK to Japan) ! Currently we have 1/2 of the required pts for 3 J seats (Amex & SPG pts) and started looking at ANA's website. I hear ANA releases J seats about 355 days in advance, but while searching at their website for April/May of 2019 (testing for awards availbility), I don't see any availbilities for 2 or 3 seats. Anyone knows how good is ANA J availbilities? Any advise on when to start searching/booking? Should we book 2 seats first and remaining one one, two, three, etc. weeks later? What about ANA's refund policy on seats booked with pts (in event we can't booked the 3 seat)? Or any advise we should look at another airline to fly to Japan? Thanks again for your valuable feedbacks!!

Last edited by TIGRIS23; May 30, 2018 at 9:23 am
Old May 30, 2018, 12:29 pm

Someone more knowledgeable pls correct me if I'm wrong, but from my own award booking experience, ANA only releases 2 award J seats on the JFK->HND/NRT routes. They are notoriously hard to book I think. Last time I booked 2 J seats for my husband and me, I had to grab them within 10 minutes of the exact release time (something like 9am Tokyo time 355 days out).
Old May 30, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
See my post in another thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29723978-post6.html
Unfortunately in Japanese, there is a blog page that researches the number of available award seats for all international routes.
See

https://www.uridayo.com/entry/award-avaialblity
According to above investigation,
for JFK routes, only 2 J seats for a general AMC member. extra 2 J seats for elite members.

As jbeans said, you should book 2 J seats 9:00AM JST in 355 advance. At that time, you have to book the same day return itinerary because only round trip award is permitted.
Then, you have to change your return date when that flight becomes bookable.

Last edited by Wasabi Tofu; May 30, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Old May 31, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
2020.....ask again around this time next year....
Old May 31, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Wow, that's awesome! Sounds like you need to have quick fingers to snag those 2 seats!
Old May 31, 2018, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
See my post in another thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29723978-post6.html

According to above investigation,
for JFK routes, only 2 J seats for a general AMC member. extra 2 J seats for elite members.

As jbeans said, you should book 2 J seats 9:00AM JST in 355 advance. At that time, you have to book the same day return itinerary because only round trip award is permitted.
Then, you have to change your return date when that flight becomes bookable.
Thanks for the valuable info! Sounds like ANA J awards availability is tough to come by--especially if I'm looking at more than 2 seats!
Old May 31, 2018, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
2020.....ask again around this time next year....
Yes. Only reason I ask now is to plan what points to earn (eg. Amex or Chase) and which airlines to go with as I know most good airlines requires booking about a year out for award spaces--especially in J. And since I'm new, I'm still accruing points. With this knowledge now, it may be impossible for me to book 3 J or 2J 1F seats w/ANA (2 adults, 1 child). So I may have to think of another plan going JFK to NRT/HND in J. Any other airline suggestions with better J availabilities anyone? Thanks!
Old May 31, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
Yes. Only reason I ask now is to plan what points to earn (eg. Amex or Chase) and which airlines to go with as I know most good airlines requires booking about a year out for award spaces--especially in J. And since I'm new, I'm still accruing points. With this knowledge now, it may be impossible for me to book 3 J or 2J 1F seats w/ANA (2 adults, 1 child). So I may have to think of another plan going JFK to NRT/HND in J. Any other airline suggestions with better J availabilities anyone? Thanks!
The only airline that comes to mind that has amazing J/F award space is Korean Air, which is through Chase only.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jbeans
The only airline that comes to mind that has amazing J/F award space is Korean Air, which is through Chase only.
Korean Air no longer has the "amazing" award space it used to have. In fact, it's pretty challenging to find award seats these days.

Where did all the award seats go...?

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/kor...-availability/
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:40 pm

Based on my experience trying to book two J award tickets out of SJC, availability is poor - (waitlisted even when I looked into it 6 months out, actually decided to book 3 months out). You have to watch open seats and availability and possibly shift your dates around as seats open up. Vancouver seems to frequently have award seating available, as does Houston and Chicago- might be worth flying to one of those airports, then catching your J award seats outbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.