Wiki Posts
Search

Middle exit row vs aisle on ANA 1 IAD NRT

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Middle exit row vs aisle on ANA 1 IAD NRT

I just booked on this flight using a mileage plus saver award for June and had a choice of an ailse on the middle section or a middle exit row with lots of leg room. Seat guru stated that economy has a seat pitch of 34 inches so I went with the aisle seat. What would you have done?
Old May 15, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by steve4031
I just booked on this flight using a mileage plus saver award for June and had a choice of an ailse on the middle section or a middle exit row with lots of leg room. Seat guru stated that economy has a seat pitch of 34 inches so I went with the aisle seat. What would you have done?
34" pitch is correct. I would go for emergency exit if it was me, even if it is the middle seat. Though with the caveat that if it is the 10 abreast 77W that flies to IAD, the seats at the emergecy exit with tray table in the armrest can feel quite narrow.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

CPH flyer,

Thank you for your suggestion. I was able to change to 30J. I am rather amazed that I was able to get this seat without paying a fee. Would ANA arbitrarily move me without warning for an elite?

Also, I was looking at flight status for yesterday's flight 1 and todays flight 1 to determine where it left from at Dulles. Flight Aware and App in the air do not show the gate information. This information was never shown for yesterday's flight. I am arriving from Chicago at 9:44 a.m. on a United flight to connect to this flight on the same pnr. Thank you for your help.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
34" pitch is correct. I would go for emergency exit if it was me, even if it is the middle seat. Though with the caveat that if it is the 10 abreast 77W that flies to IAD, the seats at the emergecy exit with tray table in the armrest can feel quite narrow.
IAD is operated by the 9-abreast 77W (barring any last-minute equipment swaps, which has happened), the 10-abreast ships fly NRT-SFO/IAH/LAX(NH5/6 only)
Old May 16, 2018, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Even better

This is going to be a better than average flight in economy.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by truncated
IAD is operated by the 9-abreast 77W (barring any last-minute equipment swaps, which has happened), the 10-abreast ships fly NRT-SFO/IAH/LAX(NH5/6 only)
I got a swap on HND-FRA once, so there is indeed no knowing.The good news is that it will usually leave a lot of seats open, so the chance iřof getting an empty seat next to you is high.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I will keep watching for a swap

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I got a swap on HND-FRA once, so there is indeed no knowing.The good news is that it will usually leave a lot of seats open, so the chance iřof getting an empty seat next to you is high.

I imagine this would not happen until a couple of days before the flight. I assume the latest the change would occur is on the inbound trip from Narita. The 10 across seating must have more capacity than the 9 across. Thank you for the heads up.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
I flew ORD-DEL (Air India) middle seat exit row. Was pleasantly surprised (not so much with Air India itself) but that middle seat didn't seem bad given it was exit row. Looking back at rows in behind I was happy with my choice (e.g. felt better off than aisle in a standard economy row).

Said this, I got lucky with my seatmates. Slender woman on one side and normal sized man on the other. Could be miserable sandwiched between two large people. But in aisle, still an issue on one side plus can get bumped with carts / FAs / passengers on the other side.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:04 pm

CPH flyer,

Thank you for your suggestion. I was able to change to 30J. I am rather amazed that I was able to get this seat without paying a fee. Would ANA arbitrarily move me without warning for an elite?

Also, I was looking at flight status for yesterday's flight 1 and todays flight 1 to determine where it left from at Dulles. Flight Aware and App in the air do not show the gate information. This information was never shown for yesterday's flight. I am arriving from Chicago at 9:44 a.m. on a United flight to connect to this flight on the same pnr. Thank you for your help.
Just did this flight 2 weeks ago. The flight uses Gate B41 which is right next to the Turkish Airlines Lounge.

I sat in the aisle of the middle section and thought it fine. It was also fortunate that the flight was not full and the two middle seats in the middle section were unoccupied.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Looking forward to this flight!

It should be fun flying ANA and sitting in a seat with this much legroom. The only betterment seat would be an aisle in the same row. Iirc the window seats have reduced legroom because the door sticks out.
Old May 19, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It should be fun flying ANA and sitting in a seat with this much legroom. The only betterment seat would be an aisle in the same row. Iirc the window seats have reduced legroom because the door sticks out.
The seats are far enough back for the door not to be a problem for the window seat. But there is not really a window to look out of. The window is behind the seat
Old May 20, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Minor issues with exit row:
you cannot access entertainment screens until in flight
slightly narrower seats
people waiting for bathrooms congregate in front of you
you cannot use your phone while taxiing for takeoff (because the CA is opposite you)
Tokyoite likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

What is the CA?

I turn my phone off when they tell us to so I should be ok. When we land and are taxiing I am guilty of turning my phone on. If this is an issue I just don't do it.

Thank you.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:53 pm

This is one of my favorite perks of flying ANA as a low-status loser. I booked 3 TPAC's on ANA in the last week, and I got row 30 exit row seats on all three flights without any status or additional cost. A much better experience than my trip in February on JAL, where I could not even select a seat until check-in. ANA gets my vote for the best airline as long as they keep this policy, as well as the washlets in the restroom
royng likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tide
Minor issues with exit row:
you cannot access entertainment screens until in flight
slightly narrower seats
people waiting for bathrooms congregate in front of you
you cannot use your phone while taxiing for takeoff (because the CA is opposite you)
Well, you can use the phone just fine for reading, watching stored entertainment etc.

It is true that violating regulations and talking on the phone while taxiing for take off is impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.