Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

787 Engine problems affecting SYD and MNL routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

https://www.ana.co.jp/apps/info/info...9185414880.pdf

Just got a dreaded equipment change email for my SYD-HND flight. Going from 789 staggered to 788 cradle. Having seen the YVR drama I am not optimistic, but section 2 on the above press release seems to indicate a possibility of reroute/refund.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

So I called NH and they weren’t too helpful. I suspect it is because I am on an award ticket on solely NH metal (SYD-HND, NRT-JFK). They wouldn’t reroute SYD-TYO on Star Alliance partners, and wouldn’t drop the SYD-HND leg without cancelling the whole itinerary.

They did send a follow up email saying that we would be entitled to 20000 yen or 20000 miles as compensation for the downgrade, to be collected at SYD.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
that seems like a two plane rotation HND-SYD-HND-MNL-HND, and they conveniently substituted for a economy-heavy configuration during this Japanese "golden week" leisure season. It would hurt many business traveler if this swap was not done within the slow business travel season of "golden week". Pain felt for all on business class on these flights.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:35 pm

Any news regarding the 787's at SJC?

And anything regarding the 777s? (that woould be terrible)
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by stillmatic
Any news regarding the 787's at SJC?

And anything regarding the 777s? (that woould be terrible)
So far this is the only change to the 787 schedule announced. Only time will tell if there will be additional changes. No way guess.

The engine problems only relate to RR Trent engines. The 777-300ER only comes with GE engines, so for the current issues, no chance of an effect.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

At SYD I was given $240 AUD. A little less than 20000 yen on the given exchange rates for the day, and even less so when factoring in the local currency exchange markets.

The business cradle seat was pretty much what I expected. As a back sleeper, the seat was fine for the first five hours or so, but began to hurt for the second half of the trip. I would strongly avoid for anything beyond 6 hours and certainly not for a red eye.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:18 pm

So I got this email as well for the HND-SYD route ... it seemed to indicate I could receive renumeration of some form:

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please accept our token of appreciation for your understanding.
JPY20,000 or 20,000 miles can be collected at the departing airport.

Does anyone know if this applies if a reward ticket on another airline's points? I am fine with JPY, I travel there annually, but my concern is that this is an Aeroplan (Air Canada) redemption.

Thanks!

Last edited by nomadic.relief; Apr 26, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
So I got this email as well for the HND-SYD route ... it seemed to indicate I could receive renumeration of some form:

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please accept our token of appreciation for your understanding.
JPY20,000 or 20,000 miles can be collected at the departing airport.

Does anyone know if this applies if a reward ticket on another airline's points? I am fine with JPY, I travel there annually, but my concern is that this is an Aeroplan (Air Canada) redemption.

Thanks!
When I was getting my compensation at the check in counter, the NH employee asked me if I had a ANA Mileage Club account, so I would assume it would be 20000 NH miles.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pochama

When I was getting my compensation at the check in counter, the NH employee asked me if I had a ANA Mileage Club account, so I would assume it would be 20000 NH miles.
I'd possibly be okay with that - need to investigate how far 20000 NH miles will go! I have travel next year in Japan and I do have an NH account (never used it). No, my question was related to this being an award redemption using another carrier's points, whether I was still eligible for compensation.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
if you want 10 hours of torture HND-SYD fly NH Got the 787-8 with cradles and luckily seat next to me free business half empty only way I could sleep for 10minutes at a time was to put my feet into storage area under video scree of seat next to me -this was a rude rude shock after coming off Lufthansa First 747-8
Old May 11, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I'd possibly be okay with that - need to investigate how far 20000 NH miles will go! I have travel next year in Japan and I do have an NH account (never used it). No, my question was related to this being an award redemption using another carrier's points, whether I was still eligible for compensation.
I had an award redemption on UA MileagePlus ZRH-FRA LH C FRA-HND LH F HND-SYD NH C
Would I be entitled to compensation? I actually booked this on 20/4 United ticketed it for me after 2 hours on the phone then NH CXLD booking without notice to me or UA Rebooked and chose seat 1K 707-9 (love NH C when it is 1-2-1 ) no idea we were flying on an old boiler crappy cradle for 10 hours redeye HND-SYD Should I contact the call centre? Flew HND-SYD 4/5/18
Old May 11, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by cbourl
I had an award redemption on UA MileagePlus ZRH-FRA LH C FRA-HND LH F HND-SYD NH C
Would I be entitled to compensation? I actually booked this on 20/4 United ticketed it for me after 2 hours on the phone then NH CXLD booking without notice to me or UA Rebooked and chose seat 1K 707-9 (love NH C when it is 1-2-1 ) no idea we were flying on an old boiler crappy cradle for 10 hours redeye HND-SYD Should I contact the call centre? Flew HND-SYD 4/5/18
If you booked 20/4, 2018 you are probably not due any conpensation,as ANA announced the change on the 19/4 2018. But you can try to contact them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.