Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Can you upgrade to Premium Class on domestic leg of international itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Hi all. I've searched and can't find this. Can you upgrade to Premium Class on domestic leg of international itinerary?

I'm trying to reach Platinum and taking a BKK-TYO-FUK flight, and therefore interested in paying for the Premium upgrade on the domestic leg. Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:25 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Yes, this can be done at the airport the day of departure on the domestic segment you wish to upgrade for 9,000 JPY (pending availability) see Wasabi Tofu's post for updated information.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/book-pla...e/details.html

FYI, for certain domestic fares AMC members can also upgrade two days in advance: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/domestic...vance-upgrade/

Last edited by armagebedar; Apr 10, 2018 at 11:19 pm
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by armagebedar
Yes, this can be done at the airport the day of departure on the domestic segment you wish to upgrade for 9,000 JPY (pending availability).
It's an old page.
Upgrading to a premium class for HND-FUK costs 15,000JPY now.

I couldn't fine an English page. But,
https://www.ana.co.jp/domestic/promo...df/ug_fare.pdf

And, 15000JPY for extra 567 Premium Points isn't good deal, IMHO.

Last edited by Wasabi Tofu; Apr 8, 2018 at 9:37 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
It's an old page.

Thanks both for the answers above. Bummer about the price; seems like this price is worthwhile only for maybe Tokyo-Okinawa .
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
JAL F class in domestic seems to be much better value. Especially if you're flying from Tokyo to Sapporo. You can get tickets in F for about $200, which I would consider much better value than points + $100 (or is it $80) for the upgrade.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ETHFlyer
JAL F class in domestic seems to be much better value. Especially if you're flying from Tokyo to Sapporo. You can get tickets in F for about $200, which I would consider much better value than points + $100 (or is it $80) for the upgrade.
​​​​​​The current upgrade to JAL F domestic is 8,000 yen, so to get it for 200 USD you would need to find a ticket around 13,000 yen, which is only the various air passes, and same day upgrades. Though same day upgrades are very limited on the Sapporo route. Even a few days in advance is often tricky when booking from the outset, and that costs far more than USD 200.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond+SFC+1MM (NH*G), Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Penn Club of NY
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
It's an old page.

Can't agree more, that's an absurd price for domestic. Sometimes they offer Y pax to upgrade to C for $450 for LAX - NRT flights, before doing op-ups.

I recall right after the recession, ANA had a lengthy promotion where it was Y7,000 to upgrade to Premium Class. That was worth it for those longer domestic flights...

Last edited by ANAStarFlyer; Apr 17, 2018 at 1:48 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Is the upgrade route still the best option for premium class? Looking for NRT/HND to Naha it's a bit long.

It's my first time booking domestic Japan. Is it cheaper to buy NH Y and upgrade to Premium or there's a 3rd party that is cheap for buying outright NH/JL Premium class?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Is the upgrade route still the best option for premium class? Looking for NRT/HND to Naha it's a bit long.

It's my first time booking domestic Japan. Is it cheaper to buy NH Y and upgrade to Premium or there's a 3rd party that is cheap for buying outright NH/JL Premium class?
There is no cheap way of doing it through a 3rd party, except maybe combining it in to a tour package. But then you are stuck with the rest of the package.

The problem with upgrading can be that once you are at the airport, there may not be any seats left.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by ETHFlyer
Especially considering that JL domestic F is a much better product than NH premium class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.