Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA First Class Japanese vs International Menu?

Old Mar 16, 18, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

I will be flying in F JFK-HND and back HND-ORD and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether to go with the international menu or the Japanese one?

I downloaded the menus from here but was mainly wondering if the Japanese catering may be better to choose when flying out of HND and/or the Western may be better to choose when flying out of JFK, etc?

I also have seen that the Suntory Whisky they serve is $500 a bottle, so will definitely try it, but is there anything else anyone would recommend I specifically try? This is my first international F flight so I'm very excited!
Old Mar 17, 18, 6:25 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I am in the same situation as you.

the Japanese looks tempting but not sure if it is to my taste. If I will try it going to Japan as on the way back I probably want something familiar like a burger 🍔
Old Mar 18, 18, 1:41 pm

I was lucky enough in Apr 2017 to score an award seat on NH for only 90K miles IAH NRT, using UA miles.
I just score another award seat late this April 2018 LAX NRT. 110K.
I checked all the Inflight Services last year, this year, it was still the same images.
I did choose the Japanese meal the last time. There was only 1 dish that left me scratching my head : a solid bun/Chinese pao/ in a clear soup.
I would choose the Japanese meal again. Good western choices are easy to get on AF, LH, TK etc.
Old Apr 1, 18, 6:45 am

Programs: United MP, SQ Krisflyer, SPG, HHonors, SkyPesos
Originally Posted by Keller281 View Post
I would choose the Japanese meal again. Good western choices are easy to get on AF, LH, TK etc.
I agree with the quality of the Japanese meal on NH, but I'd question the use of "great choices" for any food on LH F.
royng likes this.
Old Apr 2, 18, 2:01 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Just got off the ORD-HND flight a few hours ago. My husband and I both had the Japanese meals and they were awesome. My daughter had steak and LOVED IT - she did not have any of the other accompaniments (aside from a bowl of rice) but she is only 8 and uninterested in the other stuff. The steak did look fabulous (sadly I was too far away for even a bite) and she is really picky abut her meat. You really can't go wrong with either I bet and it is probably just really up to your own tastes which is most likely to make you happy.

BTW, the cabin crew were fantastic and could not do enough for us. Have a fantastic flight.
Old Apr 4, 18, 3:21 pm

My wife and I have flown JFK-NRT-JFK in both F and J. She's had the Japanese meals in both directions and there's always something about them she complains about. (She is Japanese.) Their Japanese meals tend to be kind of a weird collection of "stuff" (much of which is not even Japanese) rather than having any obvious theme or progression, which isn't how most Japanese actually eat. I always get the western meals partly for that reason, and also because the type of Japanese dishes they're trying to do are really high end and require extremely fresh and naturally tasty ingredients, whereas the type of food they're trying to do for the international meals is much easier and travels better. They're not really equivalent meals in terms of difficulty, and I feel like the international meals are probably "safer" (in terms of getting reliably tasty food) for that reason. I've always cleaned my plates with the international meal; everything is good.

That said, of course it's down to personal taste. But I just never feel like the Japanese meals on ANA remind me of any meal I've actually eaten in Japan, and I've eaten a lot of meals there. The international meals are like good food you'd get at a nice stereotypical American restaurant, albeit in smaller portions.
Old Apr 7, 19, 12:57 pm

Can you choose items from both the Japanese and the International menu, or are you limited to which of the menus you choose?
Old Apr 7, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by basscadet75 View Post
My wife and I have flown JFK-NRT-JFK in both F and J. She's had the Japanese meals in both directions and there's always something about them she complains about. (She is Japanese.) Their Japanese meals tend to be kind of a weird collection of "stuff" (much of which is not even Japanese) rather than having any obvious theme or progression, which isn't how most Japanese actually eat. I always get the western meals partly for that reason, and also because the type of Japanese dishes they're trying to do are really high end and require extremely fresh and naturally tasty ingredients, whereas the type of food they're trying to do for the international meals is much easier and travels better. They're not really equivalent meals in terms of difficulty, and I feel like the international meals are probably "safer" (in terms of getting reliably tasty food) for that reason. I've always cleaned my plates with the international meal; everything is good.

That said, of course it's down to personal taste. But I just never feel like the Japanese meals on ANA remind me of any meal I've actually eaten in Japan, and I've eaten a lot of meals there. The international meals are like good food you'd get at a nice stereotypical American restaurant, albeit in smaller portions.
I've had kaiseki similar to ANA's F menu many times so perhaps you have never eaten that type of Japanese meal?

Originally Posted by skiwindham View Post
Can you choose items from both the Japanese and the International menu, or are you limited to which of the menus you choose?
I have done this when the cabin is not too full on both ANA and JAL. Usually to ask to try the western appetizer or dessert.
IndyHoosier and Superrman like this.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Apr 7, 19 at 1:40 pm
Old Apr 8, 19, 1:36 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by skiwindham View Post
I recently flew JFK-HND in F and was the only passenger upfront. So I went the mix and match meal service route: Western menu caviar + beef entree, Japanese menu items as selected by the FA.

One of the reasons I prefer Asian carriers is they usually have a decent beef entree choice in J/F, where as the European carrier can have some pretty eclectic selections.

SL
IndyHoosier likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: