Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA - Handling of Domestic Cancelled Flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

ANA - Handling of Domestic Cancelled Flights

While in Japan, as we were waiting in line for check in, our flight was cancelled. All they told us, when I told them that was our flight, was there was no other flight until the next morning. I told them I had a hotel reservation in the next city. They told us we could take a train or wait for the flight the next day. Our flight cancellation was not weather related. The display showed “due to aircraft change”. I did not want to leave the airport, go to the train station, book tickets, sit on a train for 4 hours, to arrive just in time for dinner and to sleep. Especially since we were supposed to spend only one night there. Would be a waste to me. And we were too exhausted as it is. I had to ask the airline a lot of questions that day, to try and fix things for ourselves.
Eventually, we figured things out, after some more standing around and at the ANA counter, plus finally had a chance to eat a regular meal hours later. This was a far planned out vacation and to miss one city was very disappointing. Still do not know what happened to our flight. Maybe not full enough?

My question is, does and why does ANA in Japan handle non weather related cancelled flights the way they do? Do they handle non weather related cancelled domestic flights differently than their international flights?

I was on a cancelled United international flight a few years ago, which lost over a 1/2 day for everyone. But at least United immediately sprung into action, though after delaying the flight a few times before outright cancelling it. They sent everyone to the counters to redo their flights. Sent us to a nearby hotel to rest and freshen up, plus fed us at the buffet. I was just glad I wasn’t the solo traveler who had to pick up all their luggage AND figure out the connecting flights. Maybe I should have asked for upgrades or extra points, but didn’t. I have talked to others about their own similar experiences since then, who are better at this than I am. We did lose a day which we could have spent being tourists, which was disappointing. The cancellation was due to mechanical issues with the plane, which was still stuck in another country.

With the recent ANA domestic cancellation, I had to ask about getting a hotel room and what to do next. We had no where to go that night, especially if we were to take a flight the next morning. Our hotel room in the destination city would be a loss. We were tourists and it was high season. The hotel rooms were scarce and any available were sure to cost a small fortune. And they were, when I tried searching for a room online. I am puzzled why I had to ask about getting a room? No immediate assistance was given. Maybe because it was a domestic and not an international flight? It was a stressful situation, having to worry that we could be stranded at the airport for the night. No worry about where to get food, as anyone who has been to Japan knows, but just where to sleep and freshen up during the high travel season.

I hope ANA realizes that they will most likely have more foreign travelers flying their domestic routes in the future. The flights were inexpensive and I wanted to save some time, plus experience domestic flights, rather than take a train for that route. Next time, no more domestic Japan flights, if the Shinkansen is available for the route! We rely on the airline for guidance or help in case of flight cancellations, because we don’t live there. I really appreciate the help we did receive, though. The employees were patient and came through in the end. I have always thought of ANA as having great service, but this was a very odd experience for me. I know things are very by the book in Japan, and this may be a case of that. But, I think there needs to be some more flexibility, especially in situations like this. Good customer service versus following the rules, whatever they may be.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Mmmm I totally understand your point. You should e-mail ANA so anyone starts thinking about this.

I guess their logic is that if the shinkansen has some problem, JR doesn't have a accommodate you to any hotel, so the same applies for them.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by ASiteSeer
I hope ANA realizes that they will most likely have more foreign travelers flying their domestic routes in the future. The flights were inexpensive and I wanted to save some time, plus experience domestic flights, rather than take a train for that route. Next time, no more domestic Japan flights, if the Shinkansen is available for the route!
While I sympathise with your scenario, never taking a domestic flight in Japan again because of one cancelled flight does seem quite extreme.

I know things are very by the book in Japan, and this may be a case of that. But, I think there needs to be some more flexibility, especially in situations like this. Good customer service versus following the rules, whatever they may be.
Bingo! It's not just an ANA thing but rather Japanese customer service as a whole. The little things are done very, very well but if somehow the script is screwed up (regardless of whose fault), the service recovery and ability to think outside the box is very poor.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
While I sympathise with your scenario, never taking a domestic flight in Japan again because of one cancelled flight does seem quite extreme.

Bingo! It's not just an ANA thing but rather Japanese customer service as a whole. The little things are done very, very well but if somehow the script is screwed up (regardless of whose fault), the service recovery and ability to think outside the box is very poor.

We did take a different domestic flight prior to that one and it was fine, so was the one after the cancelled one. Just out of personal preference, we will probably avoid the domestic flights if possible or during the winter, typhoon season, etc. on future trips to Japan. We took the Shinkansen throughout the trip and had the time to do so. The train travel was more relaxing and less restrictive for our schedule, also.

I guess we got the chance to experience firsthand the downside of Japanese efficiency. Rules created for everything to make it run properly, as expected to, except when...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sodaisei
Mmmm I totally understand your point. You should e-mail ANA so anyone starts thinking about this.

I guess their logic is that if the shinkansen has some problem, JR doesn't have a accommodate you to any hotel, so the same applies for them.
I sent emails to ANA Japan about my specific situation, but not sure if they will pass it on. Most likely not. I will look into other channels though.

Good point about JR. At least for the shinkansen, with a JR Rail Pass, tourists can exchange tickets easily.

Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
There is a standard procedure about cancellation other than weather.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/book-pla...stic/expenses/

I got full taxi fare from Haneda to my home due to late arrival to Haneda
(as stated in above link, maximum is 15000JPY).
I don't know how they can refund to passengers who don't have bank account in Japan.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: ANA: SFC / Marriott: Platinum Elite / Hilton: Diamond
I understand how frustrating it must have been considering the planning that went into your trip and the time constraints.

Could you share a little more details about how they ended up taking care of you? What happened in terms of your accommodation that night, and the accommodation which you had reserved at the destination?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
There is a standard procedure about cancellation other than weather.

I got full taxi fare from Haneda to my home due to late arrival to Haneda
(as stated in above link, maximum is 15000JPY).
I don't know how they can refund to passengers who don't have bank account in Japan.

Unfortunately, no one at ANA ever mentioned this or directed me to these procedures at any time.
I looked online and found this myself, after booking our unfortunate hotel room for the night of the cancelled flight.

They can give you cash back, but only in Japanese Yen.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Torode
I understand how frustrating it must have been considering the planning that went into your trip and the time constraints.

Could you share a little more details about how they ended up taking care of you? What happened in terms of your accommodation that night, and the accommodation which you had reserved at the destination?
Not so much that ANA took care of me. I contacted them and followed up to make sure that they would take care of things for me. No extra perks or anything, but methodically handled down to the last cent, or yen. Cannot say that I am thrilled, especially with the stress from a cancelled flight and no accommodation during high season situation I had experienced during vacation. The rest of Japan made up for it.

The airline really needs to work on how to handle flight cancellations and assist people who may end up stranded, as in my case. As I understand it, both ANA and JAL have low fare programs for foreign travelers within Japan. That is why I was puzzled about how my situation was handled or not. Even with flight delays or cancellations, some of the less popular airlines in the world manage to round the displaced passengers up and put them somewhere.

If they REALLY had taken good care of me, I would have a $10,000 (in USD, not JPY) ANA voucher on hand. 😉😏😄
Torode likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:21 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
What time of day and airport was this??

I had a similar experience connecting from international to domestic in NRT a couple of months ago. Two separate PNRs - one UA and the other NH (visit Japan fare). Flight out of NRT was canceled "because the aircraft is no longer available." - I still don't know why! I didn't realize it was canceled till I got to the checkin counter where they told me I had to take a bus to HND because HND had several other direct flights that day whereas NRT only had two direct flights and I was booked on the second one that was canceled. To their credit, they did have a little kit ready for me with a voucher for the bus fare and Ą1,000 cash for food, and I did get to my destination within 1hr of my original flight.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:38 pm

My family and I just had a similar experience with them. We needed to fly from Itami to Haneda to Vancouver. Upon arriving in Itami, we found out that our flight was cancelled due to a runway problem. Apparently, the flight was cancelled about 2 hours prior, but nobody phoned or emailed us even though they had our contact number. We asked what our options are, and the lady suggested the Shinkansen. I asked whether there are alternate flights to Haneda or perhaps they can find alternate flights to Vancouver. They said that all flights to Haneda are full and since ANA domestic and ANA international are not linked, there's nothing they can do. Left with no options, we took the Shinkansen at our own cost. Soon after arrival here, I submitted a polite email to them asking whether I can get a refund for the cancelled flight or possibly the Shinkansen. They sent back an email pretty much saying that since it's not their fault that the flight was cancelled, they don't need to do anything for me and pointed me to a page on their site full of legal terms. I guess my lesson is that next time, I better hope that my flight gets cancelled due to a mechanical failure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.