Wiki Posts
Search

Interline Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US DM Silver
Interline Luggage

Maybe this is a question for the Air China or Star Alliance forum?

I'm flying on 2 separate tickets - SYD-PVG-NRT on Air China and NRT-LAX on ANA. Both are award tickets in J.

My question is - if i check bags in Sydney, can I get them all the way to LAX without picking them up in Tokyo? If not, is 2 hours and 30 minutes enough time to get the bags in Tokyo, check them and get to my next flight?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ushela03

I'm flying on 2 separate tickets - SYD-PVG-NRT on Air China and NRT-LAX on ANA. Both are award tickets in J.

My question is - if i check bags in Sydney, can I get them all the way to LAX without picking them up in Tokyo? If not, is 2 hours and 30 minutes enough time to get the bags in Tokyo, check them and get to my next flight?
The question of checking luggage through is one for the Air China forum, as they are the ones having to do it in Sydney.

If you can't get it checked through, I would say 2.5 hours is tight, but can be done. You would need to through immigration, wait for luggage and take the elevator up to the 4th floor to check in again. I normally calculate about 30 minutes from wheels down until I am through, but I use the automated passport lanes and have F tagged luggage with JAL.

An important question, do you need a visa to Japan? Since that would complicate matters.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: US DM Silver
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

An important question, do you need a visa to Japan? Since that would complicate matters.
Thank you - I don't - I'm traveling on an American passport
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Since both NH and CA are *A members, CA should interline despite being on separate tickets.

I agree that the CA forum is likely better suited for getting specific experiences others may have had interlining on CA and ex-SYD; you can consider requesting a moderator move this thread to that forum so as to avoid violating forum rules on double-posting / cross-posting.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gengar
Since both NH and CA are *A members, CA should interline despite being on separate tickets.

I agree that the CA forum is likely better suited for getting specific experiences others may have had interlining on CA and ex-SYD; you can consider requesting a moderator move this thread to that forum so as to avoid violating forum rules on double-posting / cross-posting.
It is up to the individual carrier if they do this. Star Alliance only talks about through check of luggage to final destination on same ticket. There is no doubt they can do it, questions are do they want to, and does the agent know how to?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
It is up to the individual carrier if they do this. Star Alliance only talks about through check of luggage to final destination on same ticket. There is no doubt they can do it, questions are do they want to, and does the agent know how to?
I second.
For example, in my experience, ANA checkin agents at HND arranged following through checkins with separate tickets.

HND-LHR(NH) and LHR-CDG(BA)
HND-HKG(NH) and HKG-CMB(CX)

So, usually it depends on checkein agents and the carrier at the originating airport.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
No intent to suggest an official, overarching policy - simply to differentiate vs. other alliances (esp. OW) as far as member openness to through-checking on separate tickets. Of course it is down to individual agent competence (e.g., many reports of airlines like AI which officially allow check-through to *A partners, but it seems few AI check-in agents usually know how to do it - and it works the other way too, as there are reports of AA/BA staff through-checking bags despite official policy not to allow it), which is why I suggested OP inquire as to specific experiences on CA ex-SYD. But in *A,
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
No intent to suggest an official, overarching policy - simply to differentiate vs. other alliances (esp. OW) as far as member openness to through-checking on separate tickets. Of course it is down to individual agent competence (e.g., many reports of airlines like AI which officially allow check-through to *A partners, but it seems few AI check-in agents usually know how to do it - and it works the other way too, as there are reports of AA/BA staff through-checking bags despite official policy not to allow it), which is why I suggested OP inquire as to specific experiences on CA ex-SYD. But in *A,
Oneworld used to have an official policy to check through luggage on separate tickets. They removed this 1 to 2 years ago. Shortly after this BA and a bit later AA officially stated that they stopped it, even BA to BA. JAL still still has it as a stated benefit that they through check to OW carriers on separate tickets

Now Oneworld is not too different to Star. But they used to be far better

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 7, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:40 pm

Oneworld used to have an official policy to check through luggage on separate tickets. They removed this 1 to 2 years ago. Shortly after this BA and a bit later AA officially stated that they stopped it, even BA to BA. JAL still still has it as a stated benefit that they through check to OW carriers on separate tickets
Yes, that was the whole point of my post - that OW in general has become very unfriendly as far as check-through on separate tickets. JL actually did discontinue interlining but was the first to backtrack later in 2016, followed soon by CX and QR who also backtracked in 2017. But many OW airlines still won't check through on separate tickets. Based on FT reports, *A is much friendlier in this regard with nearly all problems I've read being issues with agent incompetence and not policy.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by ushela03

You could also try to find the ANA desks in SYD/PVG and show them the CA luggage tags to NRT, then ask for a tag all the way to LAX at NRT. That way, when the luggage is offloaded at NRT, it can go to "transit" to be re-tagged rather than the arrivals luggage belt. I have done this kind of tag splicing with Thai and also with SQ, but not yet with ANA. You would need to go to the ANA transit desk at NRT to confirm the luggage has been found and tagged as requested.
->ANA can even help you with getting your luggage from the arrivals luggage belt and tagging along. You would need to tell them in advance though (more than 1 hour to departure).
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:43 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread. Will be flying HND-ORD-YYZ, all on one ticket issued by United. HND-ORD is a UA codeshare that is operated by ANA and ORD-YYZ is an AC flight (not a UA codeshare). Will ANA be able to check me in for the ORD-YYZ segment and throughcheck all the bags to YYZ?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B407
Sorry to hijack this thread. Will be flying HND-ORD-YYZ, all on one ticket issued by United. HND-ORD is a UA codeshare that is operated by ANA and ORD-YYZ is an AC flight (not a UA codeshare). Will ANA be able to check me in for the ORD-YYZ segment and throughcheck all the bags to YYZ?
Well, yes and no. They will be able to tag your luggage to its final destination. But with the flow as it is for international to international transfers in the US, you will have to go through full immigrations and customs in the US. So you will need to claim your luggage and recheck it at the transfer counter. Basically this just a luggage drop off point, they will scan the bar code on the baggage tag, and you can proceed to the security check.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I have an upcoming trip LAX-NRT in NH First. I will buy a separate connecting ticket for a same-day connection NRT-CTS.

If I'm understanding correctly, unlike AA & BA, the NH agent at LAX will through-check the bag to CTS.

Presumably I will have to pick it up at NRT to go through customs, then drop it off for the onward connection. Correct?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I have an upcoming trip LAX-NRT in NH First. I will buy a separate connecting ticket for a same-day connection NRT-CTS.

If I'm understanding correctly, unlike AA & BA, the NH agent at LAX will through-check the bag to CTS.

Presumably I will have to pick it up at NRT to go through customs, then drop it off for the onward connection. Correct?

Thanks for your help!
The agent will be able to check your luggage through. And yes, you will need to pick up your luggage at arrival in Narita and bring it through customs before proceeding to the domestic check in counter. The check-in counter is a short walk to the right when you exit after customs..
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Similar situation but INTL-INTL connection in NRT.
I have LAX-NRT ANA on 1 ticket, then continue on separate ANA ticket NRT-PEK .
I'll just tell agent in LAX to check through all the way to PEK, So in NRT, i don't need to do anything with the luggage right?

Thanks,
The agent will be able to check your luggage through. And yes, you will need to pick up your luggage at arrival in Narita and bring it through customs before proceeding to the domestic check in counter. The check-in counter is a short walk to the right when you exit after customs..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.