Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Changing ANA Award Ticket: Canceling and Rebooking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience changing an ANA award ticket by canceling it then immediately rebooking with the changes included? I have an ANA/Eva Air round trip ticket booked through Mileage Club from NYC to MNL (via TPE outbound and NRT inbound), but want to change the final destination from MNL to BKK. I’m concerned about losing the first leg and last leg award flights (into and out of NYC), which I don’t want to change. Do cancelled awards typically go back into ANA and EVA Air’s inventories, ready to be immediately rebooked? Or is there another way around this?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Don’t do it online! The space will be assigned to any elites in waiting lists before it goes back to inventory.
do this over the phone. The agents are competent to handle this.
Explain what you want to do, confirm they understand the two step transaction you have requested (cancel and rebook). Then confirm they see award availability on Tokyo-Bangkok, then tell them to execute it.
All the explaining and confirming is to enable it be caught in voice recording and thus give you some negotiating power in case of a screwup.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: ANA Pt
I want to do a similar change - have award itinerary booked SFO-NRT; HND-HIJ; CTS-NRT; NRT-SFO and just want to cancel the CTS-NRT leg. Agent said he had to cancel entire itinerary since it is rerouting, and all award seats would go back to inventory with low chance of rebooking to get the TPAC seats in J. Is there a way around this with a more competent agent?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:01 am

Had no luck for many many times with many many phone calls, except once:

UA cancelled one segment, ANA couldn't arrange an alternative solution without a forced overnight stay, so I had to take care of that segment (SFO to US local) by myself which I ended up purchasing a separate Alaska airlines ticket. I politely asked, in turn, can I change other routing without cancelling whole reservation? I wanted to change routing but some segments weren't available anymore and I couldn't risk of losing them. After a long pause, ANA let it happen as an exception. It was a RTW award ticket.

Except that one case, ANA has been very strict on the rule. Never ever let me change routing without cancelling it.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:33 pm

I have an existing round trip award that I'm interested in changing to a RTW instead. I'd change the first half the ticket but want to keep the second half. Anyone had any luck doing something similar on the phone>?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by robe0341
I have an existing round trip award that I'm interested in changing to a RTW instead. I'd change the first half the ticket but want to keep the second half. Anyone had any luck doing something similar on the phone>?
I've been trying to do this for days... it is very hard. An agent told me that "two years ago, we could definitely do this [hold the award ticket in the meantime for you to rebook], but they changed the IT system and now we can't"
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Slightly off topic about award ticket change.
I had a confirmed Star alliance upgrade segment of LX, which is a part of Star Alliance RTW ticket (YRWSTAR1).
I wanted to chnage schedule of an NH segment in that YRWSTAR1.
However, to change my NH segment, NH had to cancel my confirmed upgrade segment of LX due to limitation of their system.
So, I had to abandon my upgraded LX segment. Luckily, I got an economy seat of the same segment of LX (Theoretically, I couldn't get an economy seat due to lack of applicable booking class).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:00 am

Thanks for the feedback. Between your rough luck and the increased fuel surcharges from flying on LX over the Atlantic vs BR over the Pacific, I'll just keep my current award.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by synergypi
I want to do a similar change - have award itinerary booked SFO-NRT; HND-HIJ; CTS-NRT; NRT-SFO and just want to cancel the CTS-NRT leg. Agent said he had to cancel entire itinerary since it is rerouting, and all award seats would go back to inventory with low chance of rebooking to get the TPAC seats in J. Is there a way around this with a more competent agent?
you want to change a
Outbound sfo-Hiroshima -(open jaw)- inbound Sapporo-sfo
to
Outbound sfo-Hiroshima -(open jaw)-inbound
tokyo-sfo
unfortunately the inbound changes totally and it’s a rebook. You can try calling again and explain the situation. You could be lucky.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA, ANA
Hey, I'm in the same situation, trying to cancel ANA award reservations and change one leg of an itinerary without giving up my return leg to the waitlisters. Wanted to check back on this thread to see if anyone has had some luck (or not) with this more recently? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:16 am

I have been wanting to change an ANA award ticket, too, and the agents are readily able to see any waitlisted reservations, so can tell you whether you'll be able to rebook the seat after canceling it. Obviously no guarantee, but they're very forthcoming about whether there is someone waitlisting in which case you'd definitely lose the seat.

Somewhat related, I changed the last segment of my flight to the earlier NRT-LAX flight on the same day, and my F award seat for the later flight went back into award inventory instantly based on a search while still on the phone with the rep. (It's still there if someone wants it, NH6 Aug 16)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Don’t do it online! The space will be assigned to any elites in waiting lists before it goes back to inventory.
do this over the phone. The agents are competent to handle this.
Explain what you want to do, confirm they understand the two step transaction you have requested (cancel and rebook). Then confirm they see award availability on Tokyo-Bangkok, then tell them to execute it.
All the explaining and confirming is to enable it be caught in voice recording and thus give you some negotiating power in case of a screwup.
In the past 2 years I've checked in with ANA 4 times to do this and they said no. Pretty much it's holding the ticket which they said they can't do. 3 times were all NH metal, one time was the CA Married segment problem I'm having with the airline because of it's stubborn policies.

Might be different since you hv status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.