FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   ANA Round the World award (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1888646-ana-round-world-award.html)

sodaisei Jan 15, 2018 10:58 pm

ANA Round the World award

Hello,

My father will retire in 2 or 3 years and I was thinking of making my parents a RTW award present. I got almost 100k ANA miles as my first year with them (and now I am Platinum, which means I will even get more miles) and by the time they retire I expect to have between 300k and 400k. (I do around 4 or 5 biz trips to the US on ANA metal in premium econ or business, full fare).

I would like to use this thread to ask if any of you have done it successfully before, if you have any special tips or things to consider.

My idea would be something like Spain (VLC or MAD) to Istanbul, Tokyo, Honolulu, NYC and then Spain in J class. This would be the very basic, then I would listed if they have some extra request (maybe Egypt, Thailand, Australia...).

Thank you

CPH-Flyer Jan 15, 2018 11:44 pm

Just remembered that of you don't make Diamond, your miles will expire after 36 months with no option to extend. So you have a limited time period to accumulate miles in.

sodaisei Jan 16, 2018 12:12 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29298176)
Just remembered that of you don't make Diamond, your miles will expire after 36 months with no option to extend. So you have a limited time period to accumulate miles in.

Well I didn't know this... Thank you! I have now a reason to work on my Diamond status...

roberto99 Jan 16, 2018 4:48 am

Where would the trip originate/end?

bobbybrown Jan 16, 2018 9:23 am

I arranged my recently retired parents' RTW trip with ANA miles, C class, 105k+$500 per person.
ICN-SFO // EWR-FCO-ATH-CAI-IST-DEL-ICN.
They stay at all points, 3 to 6 nights in each city, US domestic on a separate ticket (SFO-NM & NM-EWR due to only Y being available)
Key is, as you would aware already, avoid hefty fuel surcharged airlines for long hauls (such as LH and its family) and be flexible.
UA website (and ANA website, too) was useful in searching award availability.
Put your itinerary on the star alliance website RTW pricing tool and you'll get an estimated fuel surcharge as well as the total distance that ANA sees. By the way, ANA can't see Air India award seat.

ANAStarFlyer Jan 16, 2018 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by sodaisei (Post 29298212)
Well I didn't know this... Thank you! I have now a reason to work on my Diamond status...

You could transfer your ANA miles to American Express Membership Rewards and then back to ANA when you need to use them. However, there could be some devaluation as Miles & Points only depreciate over time...

sodaisei Jan 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by roberto99 (Post 29298717)
Where would the trip originate/end?

Spain.

I want it to start in VLC and end in MAD. Is this possible?

Originally Posted by bobbybrown (Post 29299644)
I arranged my recently retired parents' RTW trip with ANA miles, C class, 105k+$500 per person.
ICN-SFO // EWR-FCO-ATH-CAI-IST-DEL-ICN.
They stay at all points, 3 to 6 nights in each city, US domestic on a separate ticket (SFO-NM & NM-EWR due to only Y being available)
Key is, as you would aware already, avoid hefty fuel surcharged airlines for long hauls (such as LH and its family) and be flexible.
UA website (and ANA website, too) was useful in searching award availability.
Put your itinerary on the star alliance website RTW pricing tool and you'll get an estimated fuel surcharge as well as the total distance that ANA sees. By the way, ANA can't see Air India award seat.

Interesting, thank you.

So I should avoid LH. Which other airlines have high/stupid fuel surcharges?

Originally Posted by ANAStarFlyer (Post 29300833)
You could transfer your ANA miles to American Express Membership Rewards and then back to ANA when you need to use them. However, there could be some devaluation as Miles & Points only depreciate over time...

Thats for people in the US right? I am not American and based in Tokyo so I think that doesn't apply to me unfortunately...

blitzen Jan 17, 2018 8:27 am

Originally Posted by ANAStarFlyer (Post 29300833)

How does one transfer ANA miles to Amex? I thought it was only Amex > ANA?

bobbybrown Jan 17, 2018 8:45 am

Originally Posted by sodaisei (Post 29301617)
So I should avoid LH. Which other airlines have high/stupid fuel surcharges?

That you need to figure out at the star alliance website. There's a round the world tab that you can input your possible itinerary. It will tell you total tax from which you'll see which airlines to avoid. From my experience, that total tax is very close what ANA charges for an award.

ANAStarFlyer Jan 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen (Post 29303660)

That's right, my bad. ANA doesn't allow two-way transfers.

Sodaisei - You'll need to achieve Diamond once every three years at the minimum to ensure your miles don't expire (or achieve 1 Million Miler status).

sodaisei Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by bobbybrown (Post 29303723)
That you need to figure out at the star alliance website. There's a round the world tab that you can input your possible itinerary. It will tell you total tax from which you'll see which airlines to avoid. From my experience, that total tax is very close what ANA charges for an award.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by ANAStarFlyer (Post 29304654)

Sodaisei - You'll need to achieve Diamond once every three years at the minimum to ensure your miles don't expire (or achieve 1 Million Miler status).

Thank you. My miles wont expire until the beginning of 2020, by that time I will probably have enough miles for the RTW flight, and hopefully my that will retire also that year. Anyway, I will try getting Diamond (hard though, flying ANA outside of Japan is so expensive...)

arfaczar Jan 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen (Post 29303660)

You're correct. You cannot transfer from ANA to AmEx; only the other way around.
​​​​

arfaczar Jan 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by sodaisei (Post 29306000)
Thank you!

Thank you. My miles wont expire until the beginning of 2020, by that time I will probably have enough miles for the RTW flight, and hopefully my that will retire also that year. Anyway, I will try getting Diamond (hard though, flying ANA outside of Japan is so expensive...)

I just booked 4 J Class RTW ANA awards on BR, SQ, SA, ET & AV. The SA segment hit me with $242 & BR with another $33 in YQ surcharges, while the other origin/destination taxes/fees worked out to ~$250. If you're flying from Africa to South America on one of *A's African partners, it's impossible to avoid YQ, unless you opt for a longer route on a European partner.
GCMap dot com is a good tool to figure out total miles for any given routing. ITA matrix helps estimate YQ/YR surcharges and fees for each segment.
Good luck and have fun exploring the possibilities.

sodaisei Jan 18, 2018 12:25 am

Originally Posted by arfaczar (Post 29306677)
I just booked 4 J Class RTW ANA awards on BR, SQ, SA, ET & AV. The SA segment hit me with $242 & BR with another $33 in YQ surcharges, while the other origin/destination taxes/fees worked out to ~$250. If you're flying from Africa to South America on one of *A's African partners, it's impossible to avoid YQ, unless you opt for a longer route on a European partner.
GCMap dot com is a good tool to figure out total miles for any given routing. ITA matrix helps estimate YQ/YR surcharges and fees for each segment.

Thank you!

moops380 Jan 18, 2018 6:42 am

Originally Posted by arfaczar (Post 29306677)

Could you share your routing? and it was about $520 usd per person? and how many ANA miles? thanks!

UA, AC, and Air NZ do not collect any yq. LOT is very low ($60 for long haul). I flew Air NZ from LAX-LHR in J and it was great. Would be nice to have an official list of who does not collect YQ on ANA awards, and those that are low like BR.