NH175 returned to LAX due to extra passenger

Old Dec 26, 17, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
NH175 returned to LAX due to extra passenger

Was four plus hours into flight to Narita and they realize they have one too many passengers. Now they are returning to LAX to offload the passenger. Itís all over Twitter How can this happen.
Old Dec 26, 17, 7:12 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold
Apparently, among the pax on this flight was Chrissy Teigen, who tweeted:

a flying first for me: 4 hours into an 11 hour flight and we are turning around because we have a passenger who isnít supposed to be on this plane. Why...why do we all gotta go back, I do not know
Lost likes this.
Old Dec 26, 17, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
John Legend was on the flight as well.

fti likes this.
Old Dec 26, 17, 10:06 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Original Schedule
LAX 26Dec 10:45 NRT 27Dec 15:45

New schedule
LAX 27Dec 02:00 NRT 28Dec 07:00

Status: Delayed due to flight returning to Los Angeles airport
Remarsks: Due to flight arrangement. Arrived at Los Angeles Airport 19:38. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Old Dec 26, 17, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Teigen really lighting NH up on Twitter now, too.

Why didn't this plane divert to somewhere closer? SEA is definitely closer and has seen NH 77Ws ...
Old Dec 26, 17, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Maybe b/c crew would time out and replacements are easier at lax?
Old Dec 26, 17, 10:55 pm

What does one too many passengers mean? Not enough seats? I can't imagine it's a weight issue.
Old Dec 26, 17, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75k, LA Black, TK Elite, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
the other NH LAX-NRT flight (5) was diverted in a similar pattern just a few days ago: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...925Z/KLAX/RJAA
that one was due to aircraft maintenance: http://afs.ana.co.jp/fli/api/Certifi...=1&legNumber=0
Old Dec 26, 17, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
I read it as a stowaway who is prohibited from entering Japan.

If the plane was inbound to the US, I​​​​​​ would think the US with its enhanced security would tell the plane that it cannot enter US airspace.
BruceLynn likes this.
Old Dec 26, 17, 11:36 pm

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
So many flights return to LAX. This may be a reason ANA to have triple daily flight TYO - LAX !
Old Dec 26, 17, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75k, LA Black, TK Elite, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
they should have used JA789A (the bb8 jet), which has been sitting on the ground at LAX this whole time https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...355Z/RJTT/KLAX

and used the original NH 175 for 27DEC 105.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į
Old Dec 27, 17, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Again a passenger head count problem.

It is not too far back that ANA and JAL was ordered to have more strick checks before take off, as they had a couple of cases where they had to return to the gate due to having too many passengers. Yet this time they managed to fly for 4 hours this time. I wonder how it was suddenly noticed.
​​
Old Dec 27, 17, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Apparently the passenger had a "United ticket". UA32 and NH175 both leave at exact the same time (10:45am), and are both codeshares for the other airline (NH7019 and UA7925 respectively), although from very different terminals (TBIT v's T7).

The boards in the Star Alliance lounge (and I presume elsewhere in TBIT but I haven't actually checked) flip between the metal flight and the codeshare, so I'm guessing the passenger saw a flight leaving at the right time, to the right destination, on the right airline based on what the screen was showing (probably UA, but possible also NH), and somehow managed to board...
fti, Ldnn1 and BruceLynn like this.
Old Dec 27, 17, 5:28 am

There has to be more to the story — she wrote 4 passengers were detained. The whole thing makes no sense, you would never return the whole flight and spend all that money over one passenger. Just board him back to LAX from Tokyo.
Old Dec 27, 17, 7:54 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by DCAAA View Post
There has to be more to the story ó she wrote 4 passengers were detained. The whole thing makes no sense, you would never return the whole flight and spend all that money over one passenger. Just board him back to LAX from Tokyo.
And if it is a two-code-share thing like described above, just take him to Tokyo and be done with it. Why waste all the time and fuel, plus inconvenience everyone over this?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: