Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to ANA first class with UA miles and availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, EVA

I am hoping to upgrade my Z class tickets to first class on ANA with my united miles, I checked the united website on upgrading star alliance flights and it said there are no available awards. I read that ANA doesn't release first class awards until a couple weeks out, my flight is in three weeks, should I keep checking to see if I can upgrade, or have I missed window of opportunity on upgrading to first class? Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Keep monitoring.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Keep monitoring.
Thanks! I guess I'm not really expecting an answer to this, but how likely is it I'd be able to snag an upgrade?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: UAL 1k
I used my GPU to upgrade on my NH flight from ORD at the end of January. Just did it yesterday. Maybe different with miles but this is the first time I've been able to upgrade in 7 years and that is flying RT from ORD-NRT once a month.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Upgrade to F or J?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by felxcat
I am hoping to upgrade my Z class tickets to first class on ANA with my united miles, I checked the united website on upgrading star alliance flights and it said there are no available awards. I read that ANA doesn't release first class awards until a couple weeks out, my flight is in three weeks, should I keep checking to see if I can upgrade, or have I missed window of opportunity on upgrading to first class? Thanks!
In my recent Z to F upgrade with ANA miles, it was cleared exactly 3 months advance(exactly 13 weeks).
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Man, my 3 weeks time frame is not looking good. I'm looking at the available seats on first class for that flight, so far only one seat is actually booked... maybe that's the award one? hahaha
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:22 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
That 1 seat may be merely blocked if it is 1A.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99
That 1 seat may be merely blocked if it is 1A.
That one is blocked, and there's one more that's booked. So 2/8 is not available right now. Here's hoping they haven't released their award seat yet.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: UAL 1k
Upgrade to F or J?
If that was for me, I upgraded from business to first. My fare class was D.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
3 weeks from Dec 3rd is Dec 24th! it is a miracle at best if award space opens up.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
3 weeks from Dec 3rd is Dec 24th! it is a miracle at best if award space opens up.
So I was checking seat map via EF, it seems like only one seat is taken so far (and one blocked off), so ionno, just checking every day to see if anything opens up.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
seat map means nothing as far as upgrade availability and number of passengers are concerned.
if you can share the route n date, maybe someone can check the loads in F for you.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
seat map means nothing as far as upgrade availability and number of passengers are concerned.
if you can share the route n date, maybe someone can check the loads in F for you.
sorry not seat map, i meant i used expert flyer to see the loads in F.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:38 pm

I recently upgraded on a Z class ticket to F on SFO-NRT. There were 5 unsold seats in F before my upgrade cleared 4 days before departure. One important lesson is that award seat availability may not equal upgrade availability. About 2 weeks before departure a saver award seat in F opened up on both UA and NH sites, but when I checked for Star Alliance upgrade I would still get “upgrade not available, error code 511.” I kept checking and it finally cleared. Keep checking and good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.